What's new

Orchestral Tools: Junkie XL Brass—new update for solo horn and horn sections available

In the keynote and Q&A Junkie said he really wanted this to be for everyone, from epic composers to EDM artists and beat makers alike, he really wants everyone to get something out of this library, that's why each instrument has vastly different section sizes, so I think (and hope!) this library will do just that. If there's anyone I really trust it's JXL, nobody cares more about sampling than him!!
Cool. Then maybe I should wait until released but if it’s with OT, I’m sure it will be out of budget for most of us.

Cool. Then maybe I should wait until released but if it’s with OT, I’m sure it will be out of budget for most of us.
Yea, that's why I hope it comes via the a la carte system. Neither I have money for a whole OT product, nor want some epic or EDM patches. :)

First, jamworks was saying that he thought the player alone costs 3M:

As for the library itself

Libraries simply dont cost that much to make. I am not saying they dont cost a lot, but they dont cost in the millions. I have no idea where this was recorded, but take Teldex for ex., where OT records frequently. Any idea how much it costs to record there? About 5k Euros for the day (two sessions). Just for the studio (incl personnel). The musicians are 300 Euros for the day, each, with section leaders getting double. The conductor is about 1k per day.

So, to record 10 musicians simultaneously for a week, that will run you - I am doing quick math here - about 46k Euros. Less musicians will of course be a little less; more musicians will be a bit more.

Now, how much material do you think they can record in an entire week? They do complete Hollywood scores in less time than that.

Now, you of course have to add on other costs - paying people to cut samples and build Kontakt patches (if you, the owners dont do that), you have to spend money on marketing, a trip to NAMM, maybe you do a test session or two.

So, while these libraries are not cheap, they aren't in the millions. Think for a moment - do you know how long you'd have to record for, to spend a million dollars? Go and figure out how much time your sample library is. Let me know if you need some help figuring it out. :)
Actually, you are quite wrong. With just my personal library we are close to $2 million by now. Including constantly adding and maintaining the technology.
It’s not about recording complete scores, it’s - for instance recording ppp on a large string section. It’s hard to keep that focused and took us two weeks at AIR.

Pure speculation but maybe if you want kontakt option it’s all or nothing or a la carte option available if you go for OT Player. No idea really and maybe OT would think this “unfair”. Or not.

I'm so glad someone dropped some real numbers that reflect my own educated guesses.

thanks hz for letting us know that even if you're one of the most relevant composers making the big bucks, you still spend $$$$$ on sample libraries XD

everytime I see these people lowball estimates I assume they dont even realize what kind of hourly rate session musicians make.

Actually, you are quite wrong. With just my personal library we are close to $2 million by now. Including constantly adding and maintaining the technology.
It’s not about recording complete scores, it’s - for instance recording ppp on a large string section. It’s hard to keep that focused and took us two weeks at AIR.
Given what I've heard about it, I'm a bit surprised here that production costs are only $2 million for the personal library.

Given what I've heard about it, I'm a bit surprised here that production costs are only $2 million for the personal library.
Hans might mean 2M for all 4 orchestral sections? And that's just the samples, nothing to do with the plugin player...

Just popping in here real quick to say that this is NOT AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT BY OT!
We have not confirmed nor denied anywhere that JXL Brass is a Kontakt library or not.
tumblr_ozbsf0siSO1wsk4nuo1_400.gif

Hold on let me call my bank real quick and see if they’ll let me take out a $2 million loan, my credit should be good... haha

Just popping in here real quick to say that this is NOT AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT BY OT!
We have not confirmed nor denied anywhere that JXL Brass is a Kontakt library or not.

It's not but you probably know about the unfortunate beta patches leaks...

It's not but you probably know about the unfortunate beta patches leaks...

I know what you are referring to and I can assure you those patches are NOT in any way, shape or form part of JXL Brass. They really are not.
Do not believe everything pirates tell you. According to them there's a Capsule 3 (there is not) and a version of The Orchestral Grands that is 30 GB or so^^. The patches you refer to are not part of JXL Brass.

As for Kontakt vs. Sampler:
In fact, I watched our keynote from January again and I think it is pretty clear in there that JXL Brass is announced to be very much NOT a Kontakt library.

I know what you are referring to and I can assure you those patches are NOT in any way, shape or form part of JXL Brass. They really are not.

In fact, I watched our keynote from January again and I think it is pretty clear in there that JXL Brass is announced to be very much NOT a Kontakt library.

Awww, well regardless I’m still very excited! Is it still slated to release this year?

Top Bottom