Orchestral Tools - Junkie XL Brass - OUT NOW!

ProfoundSilence

He did say that. I remember.

I cry BS. There is no hall/studio expense (he owns it), no equipment expense (he owns everything). So he has to pay his employees, Shawn Murphy, and the musicians. There are other costs, maybe, but think about how much he is paying the musicians (you can get a quote), and how much time it takes to record (you can get an estimate by looking at the library size)

No way it costs 1M
Not trying to be rude, but do you know how opportunity cost works?

months NOT booking sessions = that much money less.

if you normally make 30,000$ a month from booking fees, and you don't take any bookings for 4 months, that's 120,000$ "something you own" cost you.

when you book LSO for months when they could have been performing/tracking for much more - you're paying them opportunity cost.

and robg, many of these smaller companies also sample way less actual content, using a more or less budget/local orchestra - in a room that nobody really cares about(note that none of these particularly keep something from sounding good, but you're not paying for notoriety at all).

they are budget for a reason, and when you show me these companies booking the top of the line venues and charging next to nothing - let me know.

fretti

Well he decided to not take "120k" but instead invest money for a product which is supposed to ultimately get him more money back than those "120k":)

robgb

I was young once
The new OT Sample Engine is supposed to do things that Kontakt can't do, especially the Legato functionality, so I doubt OT will bother offering an NI version of their upcoming libraries, also why bother with the extra labor, and cost to port things to Kontakt again. Makes no sense to me.
I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say in the video that if you prefer Kontakt, Kontakt versions will be available.

muziksculp

I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say in the video that if you prefer Kontakt, Kontakt versions will be available.
I will wait and see if that happens, but I wouldn't choose Kontakt, even if it is an option, once their new Sample Player version is available.

erica-grace

months NOT booking sessions = that much money less.
Wait - what... MONTHS? Seriously??? No way.

Look, I dont want to clog up this thread; that's not fair to OT, and the rest of the people around here looking to read and talk about the JXLOTBL - which I am looking forward to.

If you want to discuss this further, start another thread :)

ProfoundSilence

Wait - what... MONTHS? Seriously??? No way.

Look, I dont want to clog up this thread; that's not fair to OT, and the rest of the people around here looking to read and talk about the JXLOTBL - which I am looking forward to.

If you want to discuss this further, start another thread :)
we can tell from the snippets we've seen, for instance - that they appear to be recording 4 modular section sizes per instrument(solo, a3, a6, a12) recording every note multiple times, at multiple dynamics, with multiple articulations, and multiple interval legato transitions(possibly multiple transition types as well)

I fear you are criminally underestimating how much sample material is actually being recorded. considering budget just to TRACK a film score *can* cost a million, I have a hard time imagining recording every note on (12?) different instruments multiple times from just about every angle they can hit is going to take less time than recording the score to a film. Granted he's not hiring a 100+ piece orchestra, he's still hiring 36-40 brass players, and will need them in the studio a heck of a lot longer than it takes to score a film.

you might not think it's important information to understand, but at the very least - we're seeing a brass library that will have comparable content to berlin brass - which means the price tag will likely be along the berlin series, rather than the ark series(which has generally less sampled content) Understanding the cost is a good indicator of price we can expect. And based on the way junkie speaks about the library, I'm guessing it might end up having more content than berlin(I would imagine more variations, less round robins)

valexnerfarious

I will wait and see if that happens, but I wouldn't choose Kontakt, even if it is an option, once their new Sample Player version is available.
I think that having your own dedicated sampler and not offering Kontakt versions alienates people who like Kontakt and hurts your business and ill explain why.Im not saying all but most people dont have time or desire to learn a new sampler because number 1 it really disrupts workflow,And the second is that as history told that they are not as dependable and as solid as Kontakt.Kontakt has its minor issues but nothing as bad as the PLAY engine.I talk to alot of people and i thinks its fair to say if youre gonna have a new sampler and want to try to do more than what NI can offer in their player atleast offer a version of that library on a platform the vast majority of people use and not force them to use a sampler..If its not broke why fix it?

robgb

I was young once
I talk to alot of people and i thinks its fair to say if youre gonna have a new sampler and want to try to do more than what NI can offer in their player atleast offer a version of that library on a platform the vast majority of people use and not force them to use a sampler..If its not broke why fix it?
Kontakt is a sampler. EW's Player is a Rompler. And it's looks like OT's new player is a Rompler as well. The reason most people like Kontakt (the full version) is because it's a true sampler that allows you to do things no rompler will ever allow.

Consona

Same here, it's basically the only library I'm interested in right now. I've got everything covered except for very playable brass which is something I hope this delivers (I haven't bought CSB just because I'm waiting how this turns out).

Plus I hope it will be distributed via the new a la carte system OT are planning to have within their player. Mainly because I don't need and want to pay for some 12 whatever patches, just need a nice consistently playable trumpet and horn section (and maybe trombones :)). And of course who knows, if the product is great, I'll buy more instruments.

I think J XL and OT won't deliver some half-assed, pardon my French, product. So I can't wait for some new info and possibly videos or something. 🤤
The original post says "coming later this year", hope that's right, it's just about 3 months to go. :thumbsup: (Is their new player ready, or is this a Kontakt library?)

Reactions: KEM

jaketanner

I think that having your own dedicated sampler and not offering Kontakt versions alienates people who like Kontakt and hurts your business and ill explain why.Im not saying all but most people dont have time or desire to learn a new sampler because number 1 it really disrupts workflow,And the second is that as history told that they are not as dependable and as solid as Kontakt.Kontakt has its minor issues but nothing as bad as the PLAY engine.I talk to alot of people and i thinks its fair to say if youre gonna have a new sampler and want to try to do more than what NI can offer in their player atleast offer a version of that library on a platform the vast majority of people use and not force them to use a sampler..If its not broke why fix it?
I believe it has nothing to so with Kontakt at all..developers are making the switch because I think they're tired of paying the NI licensing fees. Without those fees, it seems that they can ultimately charge less money for their product as well. This is my take on it...because unless the new GUI outshines Kontakt or allows you to do things you can't do within Kontakt, there really is no other reason to change that I can see...But I'm not a developer...just looking at this from the outside.

Drundfunk

Hi hate you guys soo much! How can you bump this for no reason at all?! (Yeah I'm aware of the irony. Thank you). Brass is the only instrument I'd actually buy right now. MSB didn't really intrigue me, so I still have some brass money left

jaketanner

My thoughts are that JXLB is geared more for epic music. So may not be good for your only library...it's like an add-on. Hope I am wrong here...still looking for that great brass library myself.

Drundfunk

My thoughts are that JXLB is geared more for epic music. So may not be good for your only library...it's like an add-on. Hope I am wrong here...still looking for that great brass library myself.
That's actually exactly the reason I'm looking forward to this ;). I already own some good brass libraries, but there is always something missing for me, so still intrigued xD

KEM

In the keynote and Q&A Junkie said he really wanted this to be for everyone, from epic composers to EDM artists and beat makers alike, he really wants everyone to get something out of this library, that's why each instrument has vastly different section sizes, so I think (and hope!) this library will do just that. If there's anyone I really trust it's JXL, nobody cares more about sampling than him!!