What's new

Orchestral Tools - SINE Player - new update available—version 1.0.5

Imagine if they made the a la carte system so realistic that when you purchased a flute, it stopped playing properly after a year because you hadn't serviced it, and then you had to go back to the shop, pay £50 to have it virtually cleaned and serviced?

Or had to buy reeds every few months (or however long one keeps using a reed)?

All in the name of realism?

Imagine if they made the a la carte system so realistic that when you purchased a flute, it stopped playing properly after a year because you hadn't serviced it, and then you had to go back to the shop, pay £50 to have it virtually cleaned and serviced?

Or had to buy reeds every few months (or however long one keeps using a reed)?

All in the name of realism?
Last year Mercuriall ran an April Fools "sale" touting a new level of realism in their amp sims that involved buying virtual tubes for their virtual amps that would degrade over time and require periodic purchase of replacement virtual tubes.

Their announcement emailings and website were extremely convincing with no hint of April Foolery, and for a few minutes I thought to myself, "What a scam! I'm NEVER buying one of their products again." Then I calmed down after realizing what day it was :laugh:

Last year Mercuriall ran an April Fools "sale" touting a new level of realism in their amp sims that involved buying virtual tubes for their virtual amps that would degrade over time and require periodic purchase of replacement virtual tubes.

Their announcement emailings and website were extremely convincing with no hint of April Foolery, and for a few minutes I thought to myself, "What a scam! I'm NEVER buying one of their products again." Then I calmed down after realizing what day it was :laugh:

Haha, a risky manoeuvre, especially if that mailout is going globally! Sounds like a fun bunch though.

UI-wise there's not enough separation of sections across the whole interface. For example, on the right side where the articulation list is, there should be a horizontal separator from the rest of the GUI. Or a different shade of background. Just something to make a better and more obvious separation between sections of different functionality.

It's still better than the Spitfire player fiasco of a GUI, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be even better. :)

This, @OrchestralTools! Please consider this. As a visually impaired user who uses Windows Magnifier at 800 % all the time, it can be very tricky to know which section of a UI I'm looking at without any separators or difference in background color. Oh, and thanks for dark UI by the way!

I have to say I love the idea of mic merging and the modular purchase/download options. I really hope they nail this one.

Everyone thanks for your feedback, taking everything on board. And the a-la-carte feature is part of SINE, so minds definitely not changed

I’ve just released our 3rd episode on youtube, this one goes into articulation management in more detail, key switches, and a few more features (with a little look at Junkie XL Brass).

Demos & walkthroughs for Junkie XL Brass are coming really soon, but also we’re going to put out some more videos on the SINE player so you can get a closer look at it.

Let me know your thoughts, I really want to hear your feedback on this!

Best,
Hendrik

Hello Hendrik,

Thanks for your wonderful videos.

Will we be able, within SINE, to listen/audition the articulation before we buy it?

Also, shouldn't the keyboard change color for the notes that are altered samples when you drag the keyboard to change it length and thus add notes/keys beyond the original samples?

And, when does bundle pricing go into effect?

I'm irrationally excited about the SINE player. =)

A few questions:

(1) Will it be possible to layer multiple articulations on the same keyswitch? examples:
- If someone wants to layer pizzicato and col legno.
- If someone wants to create an "ensemble" patch with violins and viola legato, with violins transposed 8va?

(2) Will it be possible to organize articulations from different instruments on the same midi channel?

Also, shouldn't the keyboard change color for the notes that are altered samples when you drag the keyboard to change it length and thus add notes/keys beyond the original samples?

+1 for this idea to have visual feedback about where range is extended beyond range of original samples.

I for one, doing a big project (big for me) using a foundation of OT samples, this could really not have come at a better time - not a bad word about kontakt or capsule, but i can not wait for this streamlined technology to take care of your qualitatively groundbreaking samples! 1: The single instruments buying I really think is the kind of thing that might get to have extraordinary meaning, congratulations and many thanks and all the luck in the world! 2: Im exited to think that already published samples will benefit from the player’s improved handling of releases and legato. A superb way of taking the legacy of your recorded history into the future, in my humble opinion. Also, the new library, Im quite sure I know how bad I will want it after a walkthrough or two!

Everyone thanks for your feedback, taking everything on board. And the a-la-carte feature is part of SINE, so minds definitely not changed

I’ve just released our 3rd episode on youtube, this one goes into articulation management in more detail, key switches, and a few more features (with a little look at Junkie XL Brass).

Demos & walkthroughs for Junkie XL Brass are coming really soon, but also we’re going to put out some more videos on the SINE player so you can get a closer look at it.

Let me know your thoughts, I really want to hear your feedback on this!

Best,
Hendrik

Hi Hendrik! Have a key question for you that is related to using your libraries live on stage...

One of the main reasons I use your libraries (Inspire 1 & 2) and literally no other for my core orchestral tools (no pun intended of course! lol!) is that one can use key velocity to control dynamics on all your longs. Playing legato strings live on stage one needs to be able to trigger the samples initial levels with key velocity.

Similarly as all your libraries still harness Kontakt I am able to set up patch libraries of sounds to be remotely selectable via program change messages...

My question therefore is: will SINE have its own similar window for setting up say 127 customed patches ready to be selected via program change messages from a master keyboard?

Last edited:
Thumbs up on the Articulation List options / settings - great to be able to arrange / re-arrange the triggering of the articulations in such an easy way.

Looking forward to Dec 16th.

Having paused video in the first seconds shows glimpses of many gorgeous functionalities...
You definitely have my attention (and my budget ?)

This comes at the perfect time for me, being just about to gear up with OT libraries. So far I've got Time Micro, Inspire and Ark 2, kind of as a test run for going all in with the Berlin series. all of them excellent sounding, but I'm not too keen about Kontakt. I hope they took their time with the new engine. Usually it takes months before that kind of new software works flawlessly, all bugs resolved, performance optimized... I wish them (and us) all the best - it's definitely a huge step forward in sample library management!

Hi Hendrik! Have a key question for you that is related to using your libraries live on stage...

One of the main reasons I use your libraries (Inspire 1 & 2) and literally no other for my core orchestral tools (no pun intended of course! lol!) is that one can use key velocity to control dynamics on all your longs. Playing legato strings live on stage one needs to be able to trigger the samples initial levels with key velocity.

Similarly as all your libraries still harness Kontakt I am able to set up patch libraries of sounds to be remotely selectable via program change messages...

My question therefore is: will SINE have its own similar window for setting up say 127 customed patches ready to be selected via program change messages from a master keyboard?

Hi river angler,

Regarding the dynamics, it's possible to control it with velocity instead of CC1.
Also you can switch articulations based on program changes.
Btw there is a batch functionality that lets you remap the whole articulation list to program changes.

Hope this helps!

I'm irrationally excited about the SINE player. =)

A few questions:

(1) Will it be possible to layer multiple articulations on the same keyswitch? examples:
- If someone wants to layer pizzicato and col legno.
- If someone wants to create an "ensemble" patch with violins and viola legato, with violins transposed 8va?

(2) Will it be possible to organize articulations from different instruments on the same midi channel?

+1 for this idea to have visual feedback about where range is extended beyond range of original samples.

Hi shawnsingh!

You’re able to layer multiple articulations with pressing both keyswitches in the same time. For that you should activate the Polymap.
You can also create an ensemble patch by choosing the same midi channel for violins and violas.
Then just transpose e.g. the violins by an octave. Just move the playing range with their handles on top of the virtual keyboard to do it.

It will not be possible to mix up articulations from different instruments. But you can assign the same midi channel to them.

Really like that idea of giving the extended notes another color. That’s something we should keep in mind for a future update!

Real question, it *Might* not be already implemented, but it's absolutely useful to have a "blank" articulation. I use it all the time with capsule to crossfade between different instruments/expansion articulations.

i.e. sul tasto > imm RV > imm sul pont.

Hi river angler,

Regarding the dynamics, it's possible to control it with velocity instead of CC1.
Also you can switch articulations based on program changes.
Btw there is a batch functionality that lets you remap the whole articulation list to program changes.

Hope this helps!
Hi Hendrik,
Thanks very much for your response.

However I was actually referring to changing complete sound patches via program change not the articulations within the sound patches themselves.

In Kontakt one can set up an "instrument bank" where one can add single or multi library combinations of sounds as single or combie patches which can then be selected remotely via program change numbers turning Kontakt into a remotely selectable sound module (think old school like having a rack synth receiving midi program changes to select its sound patches!)

In fact by any manufacturer migrating to its own integral player (as Spitfire also seem to be doing more and more) you are actually making life for the live performer more tricky to incorporate your wonderful libraries into his arsenal of selectable sounds! Even if you do implement a patch bank within your new SINE player it would mean having to assign a midi channel to every instance of an orchestral tools instrument I wished to play live on stage- there are not enough midi channels to do this!

To better understand exactly what I'm getting at here may I suggest you have a look at the video below. The chap here sets up program changes within a track in his DAW but obviously for the live keyboard player those program changes would be sent out from his master keyboard. I use a Korg Kronos to switch sound banks/patches from my entire rig via a single switch where both old hardware synths and VIs react to a single button on the press from the Kronos sending out simultaneous program change messages on separate midi channels to change each "sound modules" sound patch!

I understand that your libraries are principally designed for composition in the studio which is something I do all the time but I also play live and it would be a shame to loose this possibility with the already well implemented velocity control available for controlling dynamics in all your libraries.

I hope this makes my request clear!...

How about an option to change articulations via sustain footpedal? If I remember correctly Cinesamples used this pretty well with their instruments. Legatos were at sustain pedal down and shorts at pedal up. It worked pretty well in most cases imo.

Top Bottom