What's new

Orchestral Tools "groundbreaking" announcements

Thanks for posting that link, @HelixK. It contains some good precautions. I've never been able to follow the part about getting lots of rest though. ;)

FWIW, I used hand sanitizer after every handshake last year and didn't lay hands on any of the gear. I still wound up sick.

Some of us have more robust immune systems than others. I'm glad you're in the healthy camp.

Best,

Geoff

Hey everyone

Only a few more days until we find out whatever this is :)

Like all of you, I am eager to learn more

Kind of excited about what it might be

Even if it's not something I'll buy right away

New libraries are always good

Brass libraries especially

Regarding the event, I won't be able to make it

As I have a prior engagement

Still, I hope some of you can make it

Surely at least one person will attend and fill us all in?

Hey everyone

Only a few more days until we find out whatever this is :)

Like all of you, I am eager to learn more

Kind of excited about what it might be

Even if it's not something I'll buy right away

New libraries are always good

Brass libraries especially

Regarding the event, I won't be able to make it

As I have a prior engagement

Still, I hope some of you can make it

Surely at least one person will attend and fill us all in?

Is this Robert Frost? I don't remember it

Btw, Junkie XL is not German... :)

I've been reading about this Junkie XL Brass thing... and it's raised a question in my mind that I still have no answer for it. Junkie XL is a great musician in a specific genre of music, has contributed to some big projects with his music because of his strong eletronic background. And a lot more... But with what we know about Junkie is that he's not a composer with an accademic record or strong classical / orchestral background. Not that this is important in what he does... But, one would think that to make an orchestral library as a tool to 'emulate' a real Brass section, in this case, people that have spent time and have studied and know all about this specific section would be the ones doing it. This is not to offend anyone or downplay anything they've done...

I would have loved to hear that OT -- or anyone else for that matter -- had hired Pete Anthony for example (or any other of the great orchestrators working in the industry today) to be a strong voice in the production of such library. Again, someone that knows extensively about Brass and orchestration. It would have been a great contribution to a better sounding tool over all that can serve more people in a lot of genres.

Yes, maybe the Junkie XL Brass may end up being the Brass library to have, but I think it will be a take on a section as seen from Junkie's perspective and how he sees this section working in the way he works. So, a more specific library somewhat in the style of HZ Percussion, HZ Strings, etc., etc. I would have been very curious on the other hand if there was a Junkie XL Modular / Synth library or similar 'coming out soon' (like the Scoring Synths for example.)

It is wishful thinking, but imho, OT should've expanded or completed even more their main orchestral libraries. Regardless of their shortcomings, they're very good. But we live in the 'big announcements' era now... so why not, let's hear it :)
Are you kidding? Junkie has spanned quite a few genre's and done them quite well "academic" or not (which ironically you misspelled). He mocks up his movies in Cubase and then records LIVE orchestra to replace a lot of what he has written. I think that gives him much more REAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE than most of us. He also works with Conrad Pope to help with the conducting and orchestrating so he's filling in any "deficiencies" from his lack of a "proper" classical background. That snooty attitude rubs me the wrong way...

No one is taking away from anyone and Junkie XL is already high up there in terms of credits. He also seems to be a generous person taking the time to make and put all those videos and info online. The rest is very subjective.

However, there is also writing like the last Star Wars from John Williams that really shows what a film score could sound like. All the compositional techniques, orchestration colors, voice leading, timbers in the sections, etc., etc. If you listen to the opening of that score (Brass) then you'll hear what a reference for a brass sound should be. If a sample library is created with that type of sonority and expressiveness in mind it may be beneficial to us, the end user, and capable of performing on whatever projects you use that library on.

All these sample libraries are somehow trying to emulate that 'sound' made popular by a certain composer. After all, most of us are bombarded with scores / sound as references in a daily basis -- in return we do look for libraries that have the technical ability and sonority to do / emulate that sound or to cover as much ground as possible. It can not be done if the knowledge is not at the deepest level in every aspect.

That's all I am saying... :)
John Williams is NOT the be all end all, again a snooty attitude. I find Williams quite BORING though I respect his craft and workmanship. There is no "should be" and that high brow stance is very limiting as to what one can learn and derive satisfaction from. I can find genius in a well crafted metal or country tune, can you? There I said it...

Last edited:
But with what we know about Junkie is that he's not a composer with an accademic record or strong classical / orchestral background. Not that this is important in what he does... But, one would think that to make an orchestral library as a tool to 'emulate' a real Brass section, in this case, people that have spent time and have studied and know all about this specific section would be the ones doing it. This is not to offend anyone or downplay anything they've done...

Are you telling me that you won't be getting my upcoming Soulja Boy Woodwinds library?

It's got Giga Legato!

At this point, a lot of brass territory was covered in the sampling industry and all I'm interested in is a great playability with a great sound. I definitely want a library that will get me as close as possible to convincing and "real" (or at least vivid and lively) sounding Williams' Star Wars brass writing. And I actually don't need anything else. :grin:

Anyone get confirmation that they are signed up? I followed the signup I
Via the newsletter link weeks ago but have yet to get any sort of confirmation.

Anyone get confirmation that they are signed up? I followed the signup I
Via the newsletter link weeks ago but have yet to get any sort of confirmation.
I didn't get confirmation after signing up, but I did get an email this morning with more details about the event.

Bummer. I thought maybe their "groundbreaking" announcement was that they were going to be releasing a shovel, sickle and plough percussion/fx sample library. :crying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom