Orchestral Tools: Glory Days - Big Band Horns

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by JanR, Nov 9, 2018.

1. richard kurek

richard kurek Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    maybe a memory thing , i have 64 gig not show any issues

2. RandomComposer

RandomComposer Active Member

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I’ve got 64GB ram too, it hangs when I have nothing else loaded and less than 5GB ram being used. Never had this happen with any other OT library so I’m very confused

3. richard kurek

Jul 28, 2017
    odd stuff here and i suppose you fixed permissions , if flags are off makes a mess of things

4. richard kurek

Jul 28, 2017
    just timed my load time its 4 seconds for multi

5. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Active Member

I would be surprised if you could load anything without it, but Glory Days does require Kontakt 5.8.1, in case that makes a difference?

6. wbacer

wbacer Senior Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Still not sure why the random load times, I have 128 gigs of RAM so that's not it and I'm running Kontakt 6 so that should not be an issue. Loading is intermittent, some multis take a long time and others loads as they should.

7. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    64GB here with this template currently taking up about 20GB running 5.8.1 and still I have horrendous loading times. several minutes before kontakt even starts loading samples.

8. RandomComposer

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Glad to know I’m not the only one with the issue, but very frustrating as I still have the extremely long load times regardless of what I try.

I’m using Kontakt 5.8.1 full on my slave PC, issue persists regardless of VEP or standalone Kontakt 5 app. It just took me around 20 minutes to load 13 instruments.
    For comparion, 5 Berlin Woodwinds multis took only 15 seconds to load.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  9. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Active Member

And is that from an SSD and after a batch resave? Also, are you loading the single instrument patches, the multi instrument patches or a mix? I personally haven't experienced the described problems loading the multi instruments on 5.8.1.

As an aside, I really like the tenor saxes, two great styles. They will sound wonderful solo or in an ensemble I think.

10. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    in my case, from an m.2 SSD over PCIe and with a batch resave. for me, the long loading times seem to consistently be for the multi patches. single arts generally seem to load up in a flash (thanks m.2!). the behavior is unpredictable though. All day yesterday, I was having to wait to load anything up. just now, revisiting the same template that I haven't touched since, I added a new instrument and loaded up a bunch of multis in just a few secs. Very very strange.

11. RandomComposer

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Internal SSD seperate from the boot drive, did a batch resave with Kontakt 5.8.1 full. Just the normal instrument multis. It only takes me 3 seconds to load each multi from BWW so I really don’t understand.

12. richard kurek

Jul 28, 2017
    the first event was on your pc slave , the second time was it on your mac

13. RandomComposer

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Both are on my slave, I don’t store OT libraries on my Mac because they take up so much resources

14. richard kurek

Jul 28, 2017
    so i believe its a window issue my mac pro uses external ssd no issues

15. RandomComposer

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I’ll give a shot on my Mac when I get a chance

16. wbacer

wbacer Senior Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Does doing a batch resave once, cover all of the instruments in the library or do you have to do multiple batch resaves, one per instrument? In this case one for each horn and sax.

17. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I have the same long-loading-time issues with BST First chairs. Hasn't this been discussed here saying the culprit was an internet defender program (on Windows)?

18. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    I believe doing just once on the entire lib is all you need. However, I've has some crashes with larger libs so I've found it a good idea to do this outside of the DAW and VEPro and just run Kontakt by itself when doing batch resaves.

wbacer and galactic orange like this.
  19. RandomComposer

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    YES that solved it! Turned off anti-virus and now the multis are loading in 3 seconds instead of several minutes!

I've now put my sample library SSDs on the exclusions list so that should hopefully be that, thanks!
    Might be useful for @OrchestralTools to include this somewhere in their documentation in case other users have this issue?

jamwerks and wbacer like this.
  20. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

So, I've had a few days to play with the library. First impression is pretty good, if also very much what I've come to expect from Orchestral Tools: Really good sounding, but to make it sound realistic you have to do a Frankenstein-ish splicing together of lots of different articulations.
    Coming from Sample Modeling for big band stuff, that definitely takes some getting used to.

Also, there are some weird inconsistencies. For example Trombone 3 seems much louder and more aggressive than the others, so getting a homogenous blend is more cumbersome than it should be.

I posted my first track with Glory Days over here: https://vi-control.net/community/th...stral-big-band-featuring-ot-glory-days.77289/

Would love to hear what you guys come up with!

Jonas Hallstrom and shawnsingh like this.