What's new

Orchestral Tools - Glory Days - Big Band Horns - New demo online!

Thanks for the playthrough, that is really helpful! Trumpet legato seem to sound really cool and playable, maybe a little too symphonic/orchestral for such kind of lib? Trumpet staccs sound too midi for me - I know it is almost impossible to make trumpets sound natural, there always seems to be a kind of midi feeling to them - not only here but in almost all libs. What I really love are the scoops, crescs, thrills and this stuff.

The Trombones have a great sound - maybe also good for orchestral uses? I'll have to try that. Vibrato is not convincing to me. The staccs are great here, very cool attacks and feel! Falls, scoops and so are awesome!

Not so impressed by the saxophones though - the general sound is nice, but still I don't get a proper Big Band vibe - playing chords with the saxophon patch sounds very midi. I admit that it maybe an impossible task to get the vibe and feel of big band musicians inside a sample lib at all. The guys seem to have done a great job having sampled this with good sound quality, so I don't want to be negative about this lib - I'm still happy that they did it and maybe it it just needs more time to get to work with the sounds to make them more realistic?

One thing i'm not wild about is the fact that it's not a 'player library' so you don't get the tile in the library tab of kontakt. Not a huge deal since all the articulations are within each instrument instance and not the browser, but it would be nice for such an expensive library.

This is very surprising and disappointing. I find that I end up never using libraries that don't have a tile because I forget about them.

Really enjoying Glory Days horns so far. The sound is great. For me, the saxes are the best. really smooth, good dynamic range and a fantastic tone.

One (relatively minor) grip: no recorded sections. In the documentation the very first point of info is "Full Big Band Horn Sections". I, mistakenly, took that to mean there would be a handful of patches of maybe unison trumpets, unison saxes, unison trombones. Or maybe some full section hits or chords? I now see that they just were padding the info with redundant information. The "Full Big Band Sections" actually refers to the individually recorded instruments. For me, recorded unisons are extremely useful in big band writing but it's not a deal breaker.

Otherwise, loving the library on first impressions.

No recorded Sections? Hm...that’s a little underwhelming...I would have totally loved that, it makes such a difference!

No recorded Sections? Hm...that’s a little underwhelming...I would have totally loved that, it makes such a difference!

Yeah, even just a legato patch for each section recorded in unison, a doubled trombones/tenor saxes patches and a doubled bass trombone/baritone would have really put this library over the edge. It's not a deal breaker but hopefully they could add that in an update.

Yeah, even just a legato patch for each section recorded in unison, a doubled trombones/tenor saxes patches and a doubled bass trombone/baritone would have really put this library over the edge. It's not a deal breaker but hopefully they could add that in an update.

Couldn't you create your own multi in Kontakt of what you want as a "section"?

I’ve only had a chance to play through it very briefly, but my first reaction was that this can serve as an extension for the lack of dynamics in Berlin Brass. Dynamic wise it sort of takes on where Berlin Brass left off - around a mf.

That being said, I’d much rather have the Berlin Brass patches go all the way up to ff, and not having to mess around with multiple patches :)

Trumpet legato seem to sound really cool and playable, maybe a little too symphonic/orchestral for such kind of lib?

The Trombones have a great sound - maybe also good for orchestral uses?

Well I'll be - Craig is getting really close to the sound I hear in my head for a rock/funk horn sections - REALLY close. Thanks for sharing that demo!

I really liked the section sound of the first part of the trailer!
(The Band Has Arrived - Sascha Knorr)
Anybody who bought this got a voucher for future purchases?

We updated our Glory Days - Big Band Horns playlist with an awesome demo by Helge Borgarts & Thomas Stanger.
Enjoy "Funky Days"!

Until Dezember 04 the Glory Days - Big Band Horns are available for intro pricing: 499€+VAT instead of 599€+VAT.
All information on https://orchestraltools.com/?fbclid=IwAR15q9mqjqPH29OXrwkZY5m--qNq56Rjaw0Srzvlej2Dko4tH-S5RMG2W-A (orchestraltools.com)

So here's something I put together over the last couple of days to put Glory Days Horns through it's paces. It's a ballad called 'North Rays' that I wrote in the style of Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn inspired by their tune 'Isfahan'. I felt this would be a challenge for the library to really live in the quiet layers and also explore it's dynamic range and ability to blend.

I have a lot of thoughts about this library that I might outline in another post but ultimately at the end of the day after living with the library and learning it's ins and outs I'm very pleased. Just check out the full ensemble 'shout chorus' in the Bridge.

No added reverb or EQ on the horns. All horns are from GDH and only using the Close 1 mic. Theres a splash of UAD SSL G bus compressor on the mix bus and a touch of the UAD Studer for a little saturation.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/north-rays-11-30-18-mp3.16810/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• North Rays [11.30.18].mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
Top Bottom