What's new

Orchestral Tools - Glory Days - Big Band Horns - New demo online!

I'm pretty sure that these screencasts were recorded ahead of time, possibly even before the trailer was released. That way, the company doesn't have to rush in putting them out when they deem appropriate.

In the demonstrated spot mics, they indeed do seem to be 'bone' dry, which many love. However, Teldex is a fantastic-sounding space, and Glory Days seems to be naturally geared towards more cinematic writing in the first place. So this product does seem quite versatile in that regard :)

I really like the reverb of Teldex, it is great for orchestral sound and I think, for big band too:).

I really like the reverb of Teldex, it is great for orchestral sound and I think, for big band too:)

It's a nice sounding room which is probably great for orchestral and cinematic music, but it wouldn't have been my first choice for big band unless I wanted to recreate a live ballroom sound. For studio big band music, you need room mics, but they can't be drowning in reverb. It makes sense, though, that OT would tip this library toward cinematic by recording at Teldex, since there probably aren't many musicians out there recording traditional big band singles and albums with virtual instruments.

Rather than artificially push back spot mics to create space, which is no different from what I have to do now with my existing libraries, I'm going to very reluctantly pass on Glory Days. Well, at least for now. I may buy it someday just for the mutes, which are absolutely heavenly.

I thought this is a big band library? I don't hear any jazz examples. Where is the swing? Where are the jazzy chords? Where are the Doobadoobadoo melodies with syncopated accents and dead notes?

I heard some examples of that on the first screencast, no? (not pure good 'ole groovy jazz, but at least some jazzy phrasing and chords).
Don't think any library will be able to put up a convincing hard bop tune, anyway... (which is a good thing for jazz sax players or drummers) :)

I was talking about the screencast. There are 'classical' examples only. Why? Nothing sounds like big band in the screencasts.

From what I've heard, I like the sound of Glory Days. We'll see if anybody can get a nice big band sound out of it. But I can't just plop down the cash with only one song demo and no trumpet screencast so I'll have to hold off purchasing for now. I know that's how a pre-order works. You're putting your faith in the developer to deliver. The timing of the screencasts and the pre-order period ending so soon this time is very truncated.

I was talking about the screencast. There are 'classical' examples only. Why? Nothing sounds like big band in the screencasts.

If the screencasts sound a little "classical" I'm guessing that maybe the folks at Orchestral Tools are more adept at orchestral music, and don't have quite the same level of big band arranging experience as Sascha Knorr, which is understandable. Regardless, I thought OT's screencasts still did a good job of demonstrating the key elements of the library that needed to be demonstrated... articulations, legatos, mic positions, etc.

I know that's how a pre-order works. You're putting your faith in the developer to deliver.

I agree that a $500+ library should be presented with more demonstration material, although Sascha's single demo and the three screencasts do cover a lot of ground.

As a side note, I checked and saw that OT is on the resale unfriendly list. I'm not complaining about their policy, but if they were resale-friendly, I would have taken a chance and bought this library tonight.

From what I've heard, I like the sound of Glory Days. We'll see if anybody can get a nice big band sound out of it. But I can't just plop down the cash with only one song demo and no trumpet screencast so I'll have to hold off purchasing for now. I know that's how a pre-order works. You're putting your faith in the developer to deliver. The timing of the screencasts and the pre-order period ending so soon this time is very truncated.

I agree - as much as I love the idea of having big band horns, I'll pass on this one for now and wait for jazzy demos that will probably appear eventually:).

I was very close to ordering this, but I'm travelling around at the moment and haven't got the chance to sit down in front of a decent pair of monitors and really have a close look/listen at the videos and samples they have posted. As such, I'll have to pass on this as well as its a bit too much money to roll the dice on.

If OT had posted those videos a week or so ago I would have had the time to have a good look through and make my mind up. Dropping those videos a day or two before the into offer ends seems a bit silly to be honest - I have quite a lot of their libraries already, and they are one of my favourite developers - but a library at this price is more of a considered purchase than an impulse purchase - at least for me....

Hey guys, Just made a full patch playthrough on my youtube channel. I won't post the link here but if you search my name you can find it!

Thoughts so far: I'm really loving the overall playability. The legato performance on every instrument is very very good. Trumpets are among the best I've heard. The saxophones have that clicky response you get from a real sax when the keypad hits the body. Very responsive and very playable. The mic positions also affect the sound quite drastically from dry to quite teldex wet, so lots of room for different post production options. One thing i'm not wild about is the fact that it's not a 'player library' so you don't get the tile in the library tab of kontakt. Not a huge deal since all the articulations are within each instrument instance and not the browser, but it would be nice for such an expensive library.

Overall, I've loved what I've heard so far and I'm really looking forward to experimenting more!

Top Bottom