What's new

Orchestral Tools Full Contact Competition

Toecutter

Let's end this peacefully
Provided samples are more than enough considering the brief. Be creative, isn't this part of our job?

lastburai

Cheers dhmusic for the warning, much appreciated, this is indeed the case anything over 2min how ever little over is basically disqualification. I deleted the entry and recut a little to get it at 2.00min.

I deleted the intro and one of the A sections it seems to fit exactly at 2.00 min now. The structure was AABAC and now it is ABAC, there is no buildup to theme A anymore as I deleted the intro.

It is a unique composition for me, as I there are instruments I would not usually use, I am grateful they allow changes before the deadline.

The video is 2.00min exactly but the actually length of the song is 1.58-1.59s
So this is my new entry for the #FULLCONTACTCOMPETITION Using Tom Holkenborg's Percussion sample pack as a bases for this piece of music.

OP
J

Jacob Fanto

I think the most surprising thing to me after finishing my piece and listening to others' is how many opted to also use non-percussive instruments throughout. Maybe I'm just taking the prompt a bit too literally! :laugh:

Anyway, here's my entry!

Last edited:

tpoots

Amazing drum programming you've got there Jacob, I really enjoyed that one (although there are so many good entries to this contest!)

Mine took a turn for the weird. At some point I added a wind instrument from Maleventum 2 (recently on sale, might still be) and it had this very jungle-y vibe and I just leaned into that real hard. Maybe too hard? Anyway, here's mine for what it's worth. :grin:

Jack McKenzie

Composer/Arranger
Here is my entry for the Orchestral Tools #FullContactCompetition

I decided to only use percussion and my own voice for chants, FX and other wacky stuff to try and focus on showcasing the drums and tribal story.

Here is a battle between two neighbouring tribes: Compound and Triplet Rhythms on the Left and Simple, Duple Rhythms on the right. Hear them battle against one another and finally come together…

Percussion:
Orchestral Tools: JXL Sample Pack
Spitfire Audio: Hans Zimmer Percussion
Spitfire Audio: Albion One
LA Modern Percussion
Keepforest: Ferrum

Vocals:
Jack McKenzie

Baronvonheadless

I think the most surprising thing to me after finishing my piece and listening to others' is how many opted to also use non-percussive instruments throughout. Maybe I'm just taking the prompt a bit too literally! :laugh:

Anyway, here's my entry!
Haha, well - the way I view the brief (which I believe said use any kind of other musical instruments you have at your disposal) is this:

The drums and rhythm are how the tribes/warring factions communicate. However, even tho language is gone, it doesn't say people are mute. So I assume they will grunt and chant etc which is why in mine for example, I used a choir but nothing with actual words or too many syllables etc.

Also, I viewed it as more cinematic than literal, so scoring a scene.

So to me the drums and rhythms are in the story, the subject matter etc/sound FX of things happening on screen....

any other instrument - to me - would be the score of the actual movie, or music accentuating the drama. IE brass ensembles, flutes, etc.

Top Bottom