What's new

Orchestral Tools Discovery Competition

Being more of a novice, I would love to hear some feedback!

A fun piece! The sound that can be achieved with mostly free libraries is quite impressive. :) If you want some constructive criticism, the piece keeps introducing new material and doesn't repeat any themes, which is a pretty common problem I hear with newer composers.

0:00-0:17, good start with the horn theme (Part A), then through to 0:30 with a nice Part B to complement it. Then at 0:30, it switches to an entirely new thing, a Part C. At this point it's starting to lose me, but I'm still on board if I get some payoff after the buildup.

But then it builds to 0:56 and to a new Part D. At this point the piece has "lost" me. My brain was hoping for a satisfying reiteration of Part A to bring the track full circle.

There's no hard and fast rules about the structure of a piece or the balance between novelty (ABCDE) and repetition (AAAAA), but leaning too far in either direction tends to make most listeners lose interest.

A fun piece! The sound that can be achieved with mostly free libraries is quite impressive. :) If you want some constructive criticism, the piece keeps introducing new material and doesn't repeat any themes, which is a pretty common problem I hear with newer composers.

0:00-0:17, good start with the horn theme (Part A), then through to 0:30 with a nice Part B to complement it. Then at 0:30, it switches to an entirely new thing, a Part C. At this point it's starting to lose me, but I'm still on board if I get some payoff after the buildup.

But then it builds to 0:56 and to a new Part D. At this point the piece has "lost" me. My brain was hoping for a satisfying reiteration of Part A to bring the track full circle.

There's no hard and fast rules about the structure of a piece or the balance between novelty (ABCDE) and repetition (AAAAA), but leaning too far in either direction tends to make most listeners lose interest.

Thanks a lot, this constructive criticism was exactly what I was looking for! I can totally understand what you are saying. I initially planned to go with the final theme,but then decided to create something as an intro to it and it came out different.I will try to incorporate this advice in my next compositions.

Your entry is amazing,btw. Really love the sound design and the atmosphere it creates! Best of luck!

The only instrument I was able to properly use for my track is the sustains. The other three just didn't do anything for me and didn't gel with my track. Bummer.

I like it. Really cool twist with the thing developing in a slow crescendo which is suffocating and works really well I think. Good luck!

much thanks for that audio logo. it was totally random and didnt feel this could work but it did some how, so i decided to submit. I dont expect a win but it was fun to just do something different with OT samples and that choir they add into was cool!

best of luck to everyone! so much good stuff out there.

Here's my entry.

I decided to limit myself on this one and use only free instruments:
* The Discovery Instrument they released for this competition
* Orchestral Tools Layers
* Spitfire Labs' Soft Piano
* Valhalla Super Massive

Using these instruments and limitations made it difficult to write unique melodic lines for different sections, so I decided to focus on the orchestra as a whole.
The idea was to find a nice chord progression that sounded like discovery to me and grow and add layers as the track progresses.

Last edited:

"I try to fly across the sky and through the clouds and I found a place ABOVE THE CLOUDS, I heard the voices of bird-like creatures that I had never heard before and and I saw a magnificent palace guarded by giant warriors"

This is a simple submission from me, I'm happy to hear feedback from all of you, you guys are amazing! Good luck!

Top Bottom