What's new

Orchestral Tools Discovery Competition

I'm always bummed when they allow using other libraries... I wish they would be brave enough to just give a set of samples and say "use only this".

I'm always bummed when they allow using other libraries... I wish they would be brave enough to just give a set of samples and say "use only this".
I don't know... The foley/sound design part is the thing I enjoyed the most (the textures and rythms in my little track are a recorded/processed sheet of paper) and there are so many possibilities...
Also, the first rule is: "Clever or nice use of the samples provided".
Why do you want to avoid other useful tools when the goal is to represent an idea?

I don't know... The foley/sound design part is the thing I enjoyed the most (the textures and rythms in my little track are a recorded/processed sheet of paper) and there are so many possibilities...
Why do you want to avoid other useful tools when the goal is to represent an idea?

Because it then makes me feel like other people with more libraries/tools already has an advantage on me. That is not necessarily the case, but that is what is always in the back of my mind.
Using the provided samples only (and let's say - adding Layers as another free thing) makes everyone play on the same level.
Once you allow anything - people with more tools/libraries has a somewhat unfair advantage.

Really nice user paper by the way :)

Because it then makes me feel like other people with more libraries/tools already has an advantage on me.
I get why you feel this way, but I think the libs you use don't really make a big difference in this scenario.
Sure, good tools can do marvelous things, but also decrease the originality of the track, and reading this I don't see a clear advantage:
The judges will be looking for five elements in the winning compositions:
  1. Clever or nice use of the samples provided
  2. Illustrates the theme
  3. Originality
  4. Sound design
  5. Good mix quality
I used free instruments and avoided all but one patch from Tundra (I could replace that with a plain midi brass and some fxs, but I admit that using it was faster (maybe 1h)) and Modal Runs (also replaceable, but I won it some time ago and never find where to use it, so for me it was an experiment just like tearing up the paper).
But I didn't avoided the commercial samples on purpose, I just didn't need those things to "tell my story". In fact, I added an Aone drum roll at the end, to support the last brass swell, but when I rendered the piece I had that track muted :confused: so it's not there, and it doesn't really matter. It was just a drop in the sea.
Really nice user paper by the way :)
Thanks!
Fun fact: I was half asleep at 3am, and suddenly thought that to get to a new universe you could need a fracture in the space-time continuum, and that it could sound like a fracture in paper, so the whole track was inspired by that. I guess the muses are everywhere when you are not looking :laugh:

I get why you feel this way, but I think the libs you use don't really make a big difference in this scenario.
Sure, good tools can do marvelous things, but also decrease the originality of the track, and reading this I don't see a clear advantage:

I don't know... As a recent example - the winner of the Spitfire competition used libraries that he bought especially for the occasion.
Just to make it clear - I think he did a great job and it is not the same example at all (as that competition was "do whatever") but it still shows that specific libraries (could also be huge orchestral or niche orchestral stuff not everyone owns) can bring you the win.

I used free instruments and avoided all but one patch from Tundra (I could replace that with a plain midi brass and some fxs, but I admit that using it was faster (maybe 1h)) and Modal Runs (also replaceable, but I won it some time ago and never find where to use it, so for me it was an experiment just like tearing up the paper).
But I didn't avoided the commercial samples on purpose, I just didn't need those things to "tell my story". In fact, I added an Aone drum roll at the end, to support the last brass swell, but when I rendered the piece I had that track muted :confused: so it's not there, and it doesn't really matter. It was just a drop in the sea.

I think I don't have a problem with free libraries as they are available for everyone. But still - at some point I think it kind of loses the point of the competition.
Or maybe at least that how I read it. This competition needs to show how even a tiny tiny subset of the Modus library could sound amazing if you are creative enough. Not how you use it in the context of 10 other libaries.

Writing it down - maybe that's exactly what it is? They want to show how Modus can be used in interesting ways with other libraries?

Thanks!
Fun fact: I was half asleep at 3am, and suddenly thought that to get to a new universe you could need a fracture in the space-time continuum, and that it could sound like a fracture in paper, so the whole track was inspired by that. I guess the muses are everywhere when you are not looking :laugh:
:rofl:

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR - I HAVE ZERO COMPLAINTS.
I honestly appreciate every and any competition out there and for sure they are my favourite marketing tool of choice :)

I guess both approaches to competitions are valid :)

BTW, when I said that I could replace one instrument with plain midi and fxs I didn't mean that the sound would be the same (not really possible, or at least not in a reasonable time frame) just the message and the general feeling ;)

Top Bottom