Orchestral Tools Ark 1, 2 & 3 free upgrade

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Jerry Growl, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MartinH.

MartinH. Active Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Maybe they only tested on notes that don't have the issue? Even just briefly trying Ark 1 I got a strong feeling that no one ever intensely tested every sample and feature, including QA and all reviewers (which to be fair is a feeling I have with pretty much every sample library I have). So lets start with concrete examples of demonstrable and fixable issues. Let's make Metropolis Ark 1 great again!

@OT_Tobias

This:

upload_2019-1-11_18-57-21.png

Sounds like this:

Attached Files:

2. djrustycans

djrustycans New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    The strings are one of the best bits for me - can get great results (convincing). Admittedly, I sometimes use other libraries with it but love the portato samples for melodies. Never once had an issue with the shorts on the music I’ve written but not saying there aren’t any issues!

3. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Confabulous Fop

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    Agreed, they should address string issues you mentioned.

I was just trying not to be too negative, since this is a thread about how they've released some fixes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:01 AM
  4. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Oh I'm not saying you can't write good sounding material with the strings. Not at all. But some things that should be easy peasy lemon squeezy - things that are ubiquitous modern string writing - come off jarring and messy as all get out.

I mean the examples people have posted are pretty clear. If this issue could be fixed it would, as I said before, turn them from very good to legendary.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  5. ggard17680

ggard17680 New Member

Friday
    I am not sure if this was mentioned but I just got Ark 2 and the violas releases make them pretty much not playable. They cut off very abruptly. The noise after the string samples is incredible to me that it was released like that. I am extremely disappointed.

6. MartinH.

MartinH. Active Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Can you post an audio example like I did for the low string spiccatos?

7. ReversedLogic

ReversedLogic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Canada
    I've been trying to get this working but I don't see anything on my system about an unregister tool (or on the NI site) Any help on where I can find it?

8. MartinH.

MartinH. Active Member

Jun 16, 2018
  9. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    +1
    This thread becomes really boring.......hummmmmm

10. SirKen

SirKen Member

Dec 21, 2013
    This is not your blog and we are not interested in knowing of your mood changes based on the reports of issues within libraries.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, I think you should spare us and go use your time for something more productive.

Si_Withenshaw and bfreepro like this.
  11. ReversedLogic

ReversedLogic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Canada
  12. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    Complaining....complaining....boring...

13. ggard17680

ggard17680 New Member

Friday
    If you own Ark 2 just go to a viola legato or sustain patch and play a note you will hear it just cuts off completely. Also listen to all the rustling around noise after the sample releases. Surely some of you have noticed this.

14. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    +1 for K Kontrol bug...

15. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.01.06 PM.png
    Tested this with Ark 2 string sustains, default settings. Yes, the mid strings sound like they're missing release tails compared to highs and lows. Dang.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    MillsMixx, MartinH., lumcas and 3 others like this.
  16. gpax

gpax Senior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    It seems there are a couple of ways to get Komplete Kontrol to properly scan, then. What is being re-quoted from Tobias above, is actually me, from an email I sent him late last night. I had a similar problem with two recent Spitfire updates that were specific to addressing NKS issues.

Looks like a couple of methods above are perhaps a bit more simple than mine!

17. Brian Nowak

Jan 9, 2018
    Yo man - are you updated and opening 1.1? After updating the tails on the mid strings in Ark 2 are MUCH better. Not perfect, and some of the legato transitions are a bit bumpy. But it's still way better than that on my end. Wheras before, I absolutely had to use a very wet reverb just to cover them up. I just tested this now against yours and it sounds totally different, so I'm curious what you have going on there. IMO this is one of the things the update DEFINITELY improved. Here's my audio from just now. Dry, out of Ark 2.

Attached Files:

18. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    I bought Ark 2 during the recent NI sale, and it says 1.1.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 5.41.15 PM.png

I never received an update email, but the assumption on this forum (not yet confirmed by OT) is that those who bought Arks 1 and 2 during the recent NI sale already have the update, which would see to be confirmed by fact that it says I'm running version 1.1.

So I'm not actually sure what's going on here. I'll double check on my end.

EDIT: I might have figured it out. I was using the mid strings sus single patch. When I switch to the mid strings sus multi patch and select "susrv", it sounds like there's a tail on this one.

So it seems that OT fixed the multi patch and forgot to fix the single patch. Sloppy, but not hard to work around.

@Brian Nowak -- Were you using the mid strings multi in your test?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:04 PM
  19. Brian Nowak

Jan 9, 2018
    Hmmm.... very curious. I wonder if maybe it was a bad download. If you can't get better results I'd reach out to OT help and see what they think.

20. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    Okay, here's Mid Strings Sustains Single Articulation versus Mid Strings Sustains Multi Articulation.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 6.10.02 PM.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    galactic orange and Brian Nowak like this.