1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orchestral piece using Spitfire Symphonic Strings

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Ben E, Nov 21, 2017.

1. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    If you like how they sound, then why change them? We get hired for our taste more than for our hard-won knowledge. I say, do what you think sounds good and ignore me / us / them.

I wasn't sure if you knew about the performance legato, which offers a huge improvement over the original scripting.

2. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Ben you are one talented dude. I listened to it three times in a row and just closed my eyes and imagined a real orchestra performing this at a hall. I wouldn't change a thing, honestly. I am a HUGE Mozart fan, and I can definitely hear some of that. I now have to check out Spitfire to add to my string libraries, maybe I'll hold off on Hollywood Choirs ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Wow! Thank you for these kind words!

4. TintoL

TintoL Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Toronto
    It sounds absolutely awesome to me. Such a beautiful piece. I hope I can eventually do half of that.

May I ask you what did you do to the strings for the dynamics and sound? Did you used any other controller in addition to the mod wheel?
    Also, how did you mixed the mics for the placement?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Wonderful piece!

Ben E likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thank you!

The strings are using only the tree mics -- which is how they open "out of the box." For dynamics I used the mod wheel (well, sort of. See below...) and the expression control.

So here's a screen video of the piece. You can see the mod wheel automation at the bottom. Since I don't play keyboards the modulation animation is drawn using the "automation curve" tool after the notes are manually placed where they belong. Same for expression automation. Also notice the master tempo at the top -- manually adjusted for push and pull feel.

storyteller and Maxfabian like this.
  6. TintoL

TintoL Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Toronto

Ben, thank you so much for taking the time to make that video. It explained so many things.

The sound is great and you are using only one mic.
    What I find astonishing is that you don't play the parts in the keyboard, you actually compose with the mouse.

I was listening to your music in soundcloud. Awesome music, quite inspiring.

Thanks again for your answers.

7. Celestial Aeon

Celestial Aeon Senior Member

Jul 24, 2017
    First of all, excellent work both technically and composition wise, pure bliss <3

Only slight detail that comes to my mind is that some of the endings sound slightly a bit too abrupt / fast, but not all of them. In the very beginning mainly. I tend to find the releases and modwheel control to be the most critical thing in any virtual string lines and the dryer the samples the more important it is down to very detail level.

Anyways, excellent job!

Ben E likes this.