What's new

Orchestral Percussion Sample Library

Can anyone recommend a good but affordable orchestral percussion sample library?

I'm particularly after a good xylophone, bells (high) and chimes.

Hi Dman!

I'd probably recommened either Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion by Impact Soundworks (Full version of Kontakt needed) or VSL's Special Edition Percussion & More (only still available till the end of this month + cheap- about $41 USD right now-, also requires a eLicenser dongle/Vienna Key).

I really enjoy using VSL's Xylophone in particular. (I'm using full version of that though).

Strezov Orchestral Percussion is quite good, and the xylophones in particular is very nice. Alot of value for the money there.
A classic (but still very good) is Truestrike by ProjectSAM.

I like Rhapsody very much and have recommended it, but I don’t think tuned Percussion is its strong suit. I tend to go back to the ancient EWQLSO percussion for xylophone, chimes and glock. I’m sure there are plenty of newer, more expensive options that are better.

True Strike from ProjectSam has been around for a while, but is still the go to library for many composers. Very easy to use and reasonably priced. Sometimes can pick up a used copy on this forum

for cheap, definitely rhapsody percussion.

especially if you have some good reverbs, they tend to really liven up with some good verbs

Define what you mean by Chimes, as the terminology is VERY inconsistently (and often incorrectly) used. Completely unrelated instruments are often applied to that term. Also, define what you mean by Bells as they too suffer misuse of terminology or otherwise can be very ambiguous.

For Xylophone, nothing comes close to Frank Ricotti's Mallets from Spitfire (similarly for Marimba and most else in that category).

I agree it’s comfusing. Professional percussionists in the US seem to refer to “Bells” and “Chimes” when they mean Tubular Bells or some people call them Orchestral Bells. I’ve also heard players using both terms when referring to Glockenspiel. So I gues most Metallophones could fall under those headings.

Define what you mean by Chimes, as the terminology is VERY inconsistently (and often incorrectly) used. Completely unrelated instruments are often applied to that term. Also, define what you mean by Bells as they too suffer misuse of terminology or otherwise can be very ambiguous.

For Xylophone, nothing comes close to Frank Ricotti's Mallets from Spitfire (similarly for Marimba and most else in that category).

I much preferred Berlin perc based on screen casts, Although I'm actually quite impressed with synchron.

I use both True Strike and Hollywood Orchestral Percussion but if I had to remove one or the other either would be just fine for me.

Another vote for Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion. It's a great value. If you do purchase it you'll notice it's very dry out of the box- do take some time and experiment with the mic placement and add your reverb of choice- it can really shine in a full orchestral track. :)

Top Bottom