What's new

Orchestral music for film "White Day" (Cinematic Studio Strings, Berlin WW, etc.) *updated*

byzantium

Glad it was of some use to you, just as a listener.

Hey that sounds like a great trick with CSS, tuning the instrument down in Kontakt and back up again in the DAW. Does this create an instrument with a different phase or something, is that how it works? I must try it.

Speaking of tuning (a different point though), I find it hard to get a DAW template in tune across different libraries (e.g. across VSL winds, cinesamples brass, CSS strings, pianos, synths). I find myself often retuning different instruments, not sure who has the 'golden' reference. I find it hard to hear a well-defined pitch in CSS, but its because of the vibrato, then I keep forgetting to turn it down!

Yes I think a little bit more dynamics, and these pieces are going to be even more totally killer.

I'd love to figure out those harmonic approaches you are using!

Thank you again, guys.
@byzantium I think you are right in your thoughts about those pieces, now I understand what I did wrong - pieces lack longer arcs and some dynamics and material variability. The main problem is I composed them having really similar dynamic range in my head - it has played a cruel joke with me. So yeah, this problem is worth mentioning. Thanks!
One good person above said that they sound really similar and in addition to your opinion the picture becomes clear: I forgot to write material in another dynamic range and with different rhythmic\structural character.
And I'm really happy that pieces sound like they were written for orchestra, because I used strings with divisi and no "one section for chord" thing. CSS is amazing library and you can make divisi by doubling an instrument, then turn its pitch by -2 in Kontakt, and then turn it up by +2 in your DAW.. Kind of improvised divisi approach, but helps a lot.

byzantium

But the harmony books is the most important part, because it gives you an answer how to make similar music material, but not identical. It opens up many opportunities to vary your music material, because the melody can be harmonized in a thousand ways, just change the tempo and rhythmic structure of your harmony and voila! You have your development! So harmony is the key to everything

Yes I've always kinda sneakingly thought that it's probably all about the harmony really - and also that's probably the hardest part (?) (and one tends to hear less of interesting harmonic movements these days) - you can't get very far without mastering what notes go with what notes, and where those notes go next. I think all the great composers have a mastery and ease in harmony - Bach, Williams, Beatles, Debussy, Ravel, Mahler (not that I know that many). It just seems to flow out of them.

OP
Grim_Universe

Grim_Universe

@byzantium for sure, my friend :) I will show you something in a ten or twenty minutes to keep your interest towards studying harmony :) and yes, all the greatest composers were really good at harmony, to be honest, it is difficult to single out anyone in particular, it is a matter of preference. But I will show you something from Tristan und Isolde Prelude, just give me a couple of minutes to make an explanation of what happens in one interesting place.

OP
Grim_Universe

Grim_Universe

@byzantium here you go. Play it on your piano and you'll recognize this theme quickly :)

Attachments

• Untitled-2-01.jpg
    Untitled-2-01.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
Grim_Universe

Grim_Universe

@byzantium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_dominant
Our theoretical terms are different from yours, so it's pretty hard to explain even easy things :) But you will understand if read wikipedia article. Secondary dominant is a very important thing, so it is really necessary to learn everything you can about it, because this chord and its variants gives you an opportunity to expand the tone (I mean keys C major, d minor, etc.) and enrich it. The most beautiful thing about it is that it is not necessary resolves to a dominant, as it should. You can resolve it pretty much everywhere: in a subdominant, tonic and other chords. This circumstance gives you a great opportunity to enrich your harmony language.

Last edited:

midiman

Fantastic work. The CSS strings are wonderful, by favorite string lib. Great harmony. You really got that style down. Congratulations, and best wishes.

ctsai89

Poem of Ecstasy

Hi, guys! At last I finished music for my first short film called "White Day", where I participate as a composer.
It was a very long way to go, because when the director asked me to compose music for his film I was faced with a problem: I had absolutely no clue how to write music for deep, soulful and tragic films. It was a moment of panic, but then I took myself in hands and started to read advanced harmony theory (by the time I did not read the book entirely). So couple weeks day after day I learned this Wagnerian type of harmonization with many chromatisms (sorry, I don't know what's the word in English), complex harmonies, sliding keys and so on. It was a hard time, but then I had an opportunity to explain to myself like 95% of Tristan und Isolde prelude. I checked other beautiful late-romantic pieces to strenghen my view on this kind of music and started to compose. It took me more than two months of hard work, but director was really-really satisfied and I'm really happy about it :D And now film isn't ready yet, but it will be great if you'll listen and point out the problems, so I can fix them to the time of my deadline.
Instruments:
String section (Cinematic Studio Strings + a touch of Berlin Strings)
2 Flutes, Oboe+Eng.horn, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons (Berlin Woodwinds)
4 Horns (Sample Modeling)
1 Trumpet (SM) - I was forced to use it, because Berlin Woodwinds sound didn't satisfy me in the third scene.
Percussion

ohh I LOVE YOUR WORK! (I am the guy who commented on your youtube video saying that it has a wagnerian feel to it) :)

ctsai89

Poem of Ecstasy
I also can't help but think that you should also use a bit of brass during some of the climaxes :)

OP
Grim_Universe

Grim_Universe

@Vik Thanks! I used BS for bass and violin line thickening; also sometimes CSS has some sort of the legato bugs, so It is great to double it with an another lib sometimes.
Thank you, guys! Suddeny this thread with my music was resurrected, so I decided to upload remixed and remastered version of it. It is louder, wider, has more dynamics. Maybe you'll be interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom