What's new

Orchestral Mock-Up Reverb

spaudio

Hi guys,

My template for orchestral film scoring is made with Albion, using Close and Tree miss.

I setup 3 auxes for reverb: Front - Middle - Rear and send the instruments according to their position on an orchestral setting (strings in from, woodwinds and brass in the middle, percussion on the rear).

As the reverb ir, I use Altiverb. But I don't use its positioner, I use instead 3 instances of the same ir but at difference distances. Let's say Disney Hall 6m for the front, 14m for the middle, and 22 for the rear. I know that these are the ir of the hall and not of the stage ( I believe the positioned should be used instead for a more real representation of the reality) but it sounds good in this way.

I just tested the QL Spaces but Altiverb sounds clearer in the way I use it.

I was wondering what you guys think and if there is anybody that uses my same approach.

Thanks a lot!

If you have albion I would use reverb only on the overal master if you would want something extra.

I also suspect you have heared or seen the 3 er approach.
Do some research here and you will abandon that quickly.

If you have albion I would use reverb only on the overal master if you would want something extra.

I also suspect you have heared or seen the 3 er approach.
Do some research here and you will abandon that quickly.

Good idea, I will try that!

I've seen the 3 er method but I don't think is good. It could be ok with alghoritmic reverb, but convolution reverb already contain er information and using that approach is redundant in my opinion.

using that approach is redundant in my opinion.
especially since you have Albion, you can use the different mikes for your spacial "feeling/ placement".

I have done my share of ignorant efforts, and I can assure you that with Spitfire libraries you need to stay away from using reverbs for ER's.

if you do some research here about specifically this area you will find that only with dry libraries you may need 1 ER, and just dial in the amounts you need. There is no quick solution or one method, however listening en trial/error will get you there. And off course, ask around.

oh yes, I agree with you. I was referring to the ER approach which it is useless with Albion in my opinion too :)

I'd suggest that you watch Jake Jackson's tutorial about mixing virtual instruments, he uses Altiverb too and he explains how he uses it in his templates.

I have both Altiverb and QL Spaces and of the two, tend to use Spaces more for early reflections.

I have a bus for an ER convolution (Spaces) and another bus for the overall Hall reverb with a longer tail (the ER is switched off on that reverb). The Hall reverb I use is Ircam VerbSession (a fantastic algo reverb). Each section's Sub Group gets a send for ER and a send for the Hall and I adjust the sends according to the perceived depth I want to create for each section.

I should add that if I'm using something from the Spitfire Library that is prominent - such as Mural Strings - then I use the Hall of that library as a foundation/reference for the entire mix and try to bring other libraries into a similar space. I wont use any ER's on the SF library and maybe a touch of the Hall from Ircam Session Verb just as a subtle glue... but usually that's also not needed.

Last edited:
I bought 2CAudio B2, QL Spaces, demoed Arts Acoustics reverb, Valhalla Reverb, end up using Kontakt 5 built-in convolution reverb. Go figure. :D

And a way to use reverb? Listen to Sam Hulick's soundtracks to Baldur's Gate EE or Conclave, he just puts one instance of Valhalla reverb on master buss and that's it, yet his soundtracks sound great. :)

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you watch Jake Jackson's tutorial about mixing virtual instruments, he uses Altiverb too and he explains how he uses it in his templates.

That's one hour and half...can't watch all this to find out only a few minutes about reverb :D

I bought 2CAudio B2, QL Spaces, demoed Arts Acoustics reverb, Valhalla Reverb, end up using Kontakt 5 built-in convolution reverb. Go figure. :D

And a way to use reverb? Listen to Sam Hulick's soundtracks to Baldur's Gate EE or Conclave, he just puts one instance of Valhalla reverb on master buss and that's it, yet his soundtracks sound great. :)

Yep, I use this approach as well. People tend to overthink it, Blakus uses this approach as well (one reverb on send) and his tracks sound fantastic.

Also, adding ER to Albion doesn't make any sense to me.

What matters is not which (tools you are using) but how (you are using them). I just use what sounds best to my ears. I tend to stop thinking that getting a new reverb or library will make what I do sound better. The first factor is composition itself & orchestration, and you always learn something new about those.

Top Bottom