Orchestral Instrument Wetness

SwedishPug

Orchestral Composer
What do you think the most and least 'wet' (reverb) instruments are? Bonus points if you list them in order from most to least!

I've been working on a new template and this would help a lot. Thanks!

erica-grace

Well, the wettest would be the loudest, which would be trumpets.
The least wet, I would think would be the harp.
I think it also depends on the range the instrument is playing in

Dietz

Space Explorer
Higher frequencies are usually the ones which get damped stronger than lower ones (in typical orchestral venues). Thus: The higher the pitch of the instrument, the "dryer" it will appear, at least regarding the diffuse reverb tail.

... this is very obvious in case of the Triangle, for example, which always seems to sit right between your eyes, even when it's located in the back of the hall. ;-P

In case of early reflections the situation is different, though: The larger the distance between the nearest wall(s), the longer the first reflection(s) will need to reach the listeners ear. Instruments in the close vicinity to the listener will appear drier, therefore.

OP
SwedishPug

SwedishPug

Orchestral Composer
Higher frequencies are usually the ones which get damped stronger than lower ones (in typical orchestral venues). Thus: The higher the pitch of the instrument, the "dryer" it will appear, at least regarding the diffuse reverb tail.

... this is very obvious in case of the Triangle, for example, which always seems to sit right between your eyes, even when it's located in the back of the hall. ;-P

In case of early reflections the situation is different, though: The larger the distance between the nearest wall(s), the longer the first reflection(s) will need to reach the listeners ear. Instruments in the close vicinity to the listener will appear drier, therefore.
Well-put!