1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orchestra, metal band, and a full choir?!

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by EnabledLife, Aug 10, 2018.

1. EnabledLife

EnabledLife Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Hey there. So yes, my 1st ever scoring job has a cue, in which the director has requested a 2 min. cue with all 3 of the above. Any tips, or references would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

2. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    heh? The director should give you the references. What do we know, what he wants? Seriously :) I mean, I could tell you references and they might be super legit or totally wrong. Ask your director about his vision..that is my advice here.

3. chibear

chibear Senior Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Manitoba, Canada
    As Alexander says you can't be expected to be a mind reader, but just for flavor you might want to try

4. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    Here's another track for a possible direction (in fact, Theorion works alot with choir, especially on their Album "Secret of the Runes")

5. OP
    OP
    EnabledLife

EnabledLife Member

Aug 9, 2018
    It's the theme for an evil alien drag queen...........no I'm not trolling. He wants "flight of the metal valkyries". At least he really liked the other cues I'd done

6. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Senior Member

Apr 23, 2018
    As a practical matter, that's a ton of sound to organize in one track. So my tip would be to start sorting things out into parts of the spectrum. Do you want a bass choir? Then maybe dial back the bass guitar and low brass. Alternatively, if you want to use a children's choir (which I think would sound great with a metal sound), go in the opposite direction. Stuff like that. Figure out highs, mids, and lows, and what each part is doing.

Also, if your director wants "flight of the metal valkyries," you may want to literally adopt Wagner's techniques -- i.e., one clear, simple motif of, say, three or four bars that is singable and can be repeated in lots of different ways: call-and-response between instruments, moving it up and down the scale, and so on. And then a lot of exciting ornamentation around it -- tremolo strings, percussion clashes... stuff like that.

Good luck! Sounds like an exciting project!

7. mikeleon1551

mikeleon1551 VSTi Metalhead

Do you plan on hiring a guitarist or using a guitar library?
    If the latter, I'd suggest looking into Shreddage IBZ (Kontakt Library) or Heavier7Strings (VST).

References are crucial.

OP, see if he can get a specific track in mind out of him.
    Jealous of your hat, btw!

8. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Agree that for communication ask him to listen to some links first. He should be eager to do that and press him even if he's not. Five or ten minutes of his time could save you days of needless false starts, and in the end he'll have to provide / listen to references anyway. So make him do it up front.

And definitely hire a guitar player unless you can really play. I can recommend someone if you need -- he can work remotely. It also helps to give the guitar player a reference too -- all the more reason to ask the director to take five minutes and spare you endless hours of dead ends.

9. richardt4520

richardt4520 Senior Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Guess it depends on how heavy-metal he wants it. You could do stuff like Nightwish on the lighter end or something like this on the heavier/epic end:

10. GuitarG

GuitarG Senior Member

Dec 9, 2016
    That Nightwish vĂ­deo at 9:22 is so frkn epic!!
    What a voice, Dutch of course :)

I agree, probably listening to bands like that will put you in the right direction!
    Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Delain, Kamelot etc.

Have fun!

11. OP
    OP
    EnabledLife

EnabledLife Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Thank you all so much for your help!