What's new

Orch ... with a smattering of jazz

BlackDorito

In this piece, which features piano, I've tried to incorporate a few jazz elements within colorful orchestral textures. No Tin Pan Alley tunes, just variations of a 4-note figure.

"Four Note Fantasy - Part 1": Active 12/8 with slow section featuring jazz trio. Some cinematic touches.

"Part 2": Starts in swing then cuts over to driving strings and flourishes. [Will share if there is interest]

Feedback and suggestions encouraged. -Chris

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Nice work - reminds me of some of the Nelson Riddle arrangements from the 80's with Linda Ronstadt. Which piano did you use?

OP
BlackDorito

BlackDorito

Nice work - reminds me of some of the Nelson Riddle arrangements from the 80's with Linda Ronstadt. Which piano did you use?
Ronstadt always sounds amazing with orchestra or piano. I listen to Lush Life all the time. I had to try a few pianos before I found one that sat well with the orchestra - I ended up with The Grandeur and I put it through MIR using the Mozartsaal stage. Thx.

Reactions: CGR

dcoscina

Tasty chords dude. What did you use to perform this piece sample wise?

Love the transparent orchestration. Very nicely done. Great piece.

OP
BlackDorito

BlackDorito

Tasty chords dude. What did you use to perform this piece sample wise?

Love the transparent orchestration. Very nicely done. Great piece.
Thanks man. If you're talking about the jazz trio material, it was The Grandeur piano, Straight Ahead bass, VSL jazz drums.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Ronstadt always sounds amazing with orchestra or piano. I listen to Lush Life all the time. I had to try a few pianos before I found one that sat well with the orchestra - I ended up with The Grandeur and I put it through MIR using the Mozartsaal stage. Thx.
Thanks for the reply - check out Linda Ronstadt 'I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You' and 'Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?)' and for something a little more angular 'Goodbye' from the album 'What's New' - sublime performances, and orchestral arrangements (with a touch of sophisticated jazz). The whole album is timeless.

Last edited:
OP
BlackDorito

BlackDorito

Actually the orchestral stuff but the jazz stuff was very tasty indeed
From top to bottom:

Winds: Spitfire Symphonic
Brass: CSB but also Ark2 and OT brass mutes
Perc: Spitfire Joby Burgess
Harp: Elysium
Solo Vln: Joshua Bell
Solo VC: Fluffy simple cello
Strings: main: Spitfire Chamber and Symphonic
also: CSS and Tundra

OP
BlackDorito

BlackDorito

Love the transparent orchestration.
Actually I wanted to say it is gratifying to hear this. I'm now in the habit of cutting a WAV file at the end of most days I'm working on a project. Then I can shut my eyes, hit Play and say 'What can I get rid of? Is it too busy or too thick?' Wish I had done that more in earlier days. It's easy to double up and have a huge sound, but I'm typically not wanting 'huge' from start to finish. Thx.

dcoscina

Actually I wanted to say it is gratifying to hear this. I'm now in the habit of cutting a WAV file at the end of most days I'm working on a project. Then I can shut my eyes, hit Play and say 'What can I get rid of? Is it too busy or too thick?' Wish I had done that more in earlier days. It's easy to double up and have a huge sound, but I'm typically not wanting 'huge' from start to finish. Thx.
Awesome. Can’t wait to hear the next part!

Sounds great! Excellent work.

And Excellent point about thinking about cutting rather than boosting. To ask, what can I take away, rather than just piling on more stuff and more sounds.

OP
BlackDorito

BlackDorito

Thanks for the reply - check out Linda Ronstadt 'I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You' and 'Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?)' and for something a little more angular 'Goodbye' from the album 'What's New' - sublime performances, and orchestral arrangements (with a touch of sophisticated jazz). The whole album is timeless.
Those two songs in particular have some lush chords. Very nice.

Top Bottom