What's new

ORBIS - Spitfire Audio : " Get ready to expand your horizons" !?

That looks remarkably like the eDNA engine. Didn't Christian mention a new expansion pack a short while ago? I love eDNA so I'm looking forward to seeing what this is about.

After a few hours with Orbis Vst

+++: Spitfire's own audio interface

++: a library with an inspiring sound signature, original & varied post-Prod treatments that merge well with OACE, HCT, Kepler & others Evo (s)

+: the hierarchy of presets & its search system

NB : Even more preset on the Pads ===> An Orbis eDna add-on pack in preparation!? ...

After quite some time, finally a new library that will likely motivate me to expand my current, obtained with financial difficulty, Spitfire Audio collection. Of course, I'll have to wait for some more substantial future sale. ;)

I'm a big fan of eDNA Earth and the concept behind it, and this library expands on this even further. I must say, though, that I prefer Kontakt libraries to the ones with their own dedicated plugin, but in this case, I will probably make an exception.. I'm really looking forward to the official playthrough and the other in-depth materials. :)

Another disappointment. That's the fifth library released in a row that has failed to grab my attention.
I would take this as a real opinion, if it wasn’t from some random guy. ;)

But seriously, it’s 5 in a row for me too. There are so many phrase libraries being released masquerading as sampled instruments. But if they hold down one key, it’s not for me.

I really like making music, not assembling sounds. But to each his own. :)

Your comment actually made me laugh. Well done.

What really disappoints me is that Spitfire hasn't released a gritty underscoring library that is programmed like British Drama Toolkit. That library is fantastic and very inspiring. The whole concept was that you could casually play some chords and it would make your composition feel like a completed score within minutes.

If only Spitfire would apply their expertise to a library that could be used for gritty dramas, underscores, pulses and sound design, all in one.

I'm giving them pearls here, but no-ones paying attention over there.

I didn't really listen to the whole thing. I have so many libraries like this that I really don't use. But I get why they do this stuff. It is what Christian uses for his work. So obviously, it will work for others that do the same. Though if it were $99, I would probably buy it anyway..... Darn GAS!

Interesting, love the concept. Walkthrough could have demonstrated the sound design side a bit more rather than focusing so much on the raw loops. Still, could be fun for making some pretty unique sounds!

After watching Paul Thomson's usually wonderful walkthrough, I must say that I'm rather disappointed. While I was reading the blurb about Orbis on Spitfire Audio website, my initial impression was that this is something more similar to Earth and Stephenson Steam Band: an encyclopedia of synth sounds like pads, plucks, bells, mallets, flutes etc. made from the organic field recordings. But as someone's mentioned before, it seems that this library is mostly centered on loops, patterns as well as recorded musical performances. From one point of view, this is due to the nature of the source material used here. I imagine that Mr. Fanshawe was capturing various moments on his travels that usually involved performance by the local musicians, rather than "sampling" the actual ethnic instruments and sounds themselves. On the other hand, Spitfire Audio is more and more embracing this concept of using a recorded performance as the sound unit which is evident in their recent products. Personally, I'm much more interested in their traditional libraries.

All this aside, Orbis will probably remain on my purchase radar. Such a collection of sounds could indeed come in handy, though I must say that it would be quite a luxury for me to purchase this right now. But in the future and with the right discount, who knows?

Last edited:
I would be interested in mostly plucky (world) one-shots. But I get the impression this is not really for me because it is mostly loops in this library? Is that correct?

I would be interested in mostly plucky (world) one-shots. But I get the impression this is not really for me because it is mostly loops in this library? Is that correct?

Just starting to use it. There are a lot of loops but also 16 one-shot menus from different countries or types of sounds (Ululations is one) each one of which has multiple sounds [edit: some of the one-shots are actually very short loop fragments too, but there are single hits along with that]. Some have a handful, some have dozens.

Last edited:
Just starting to use it. There are a lot of loops but also 16 one-shot menus from different countries or types of sounds (Ululations is one) each one of which has multiple sounds. Some have a handful, some have dozens.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you familiar with the Earth Encounters library? And is it comparable or is this really something new? A friend owns the Earth Encounters and I really like the sounds only not the workflow of that library. What is maybe possible because I don't own it myself and not spend a lot of time with it.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you familiar with the Earth Encounters library? And is it comparable or is this really something new?

Sorry, no Glenn.

Is that the earlier incarnation from Spitfire or from someone else? I remember a library quite some time ago that had all kinds of "found" sounds, with Christian describing the huge number of reel-to-reel tape that had been discovered (or maybe "recovered" would be more appropriate?) after the recordist's death.

I don't remember all the details. Maybe this is some of that in a new package?

Top Bottom