What's new

Orb Composer - fully automated music composition tool

Nick: I am afraid I am not the right one to answer on this cause I have no knowledge of orchestral music at all. But for me it seems that these components just make out the "human" feeling (at least the part that could be implemented today by a KI) of orchestral music. And thats definitely the background for the devellopment. But for me it works fine for none-orchestral compositions too.

Of course it is a black box HOW all this works together in the background but on the other hand that makes it that easy useable. Its really the only Tool so far that lets you easyily compose a whole midi song with not much to adjust in your daw after its finished.

I think you might do this with Rapid Composer for example BUT there you will have to know each and evry step of what your doing. Of course then the advantage is that you exactly know what your are doing :).

But I just failed to understand the basics enough (and keep track of the monthly great updates....) to really make a song with it. Love the idea tool, but there is so much you have to know to use it from the idea tool to a complete song.....Just my personal experience, Orb Composer is really the first tool for me that gives great results with little effort AND much fun to use. And the fun part, for me as just hobby musician, is very important.

I downloaded the Demo version and I found that in every 3-5 minutes freezes or crashes the software. For example if I moving the Space slider up, or If I want change the whole key of the composition. Is this because of the limitations of the Demo version or it happen often in the final version too? What's your experience?

I'm thinking about buying the Pro version especially at the Thomann UK is for 328 Euro.

There might be still some bugs, maybe this is one. I remember having a crash with the Pro version with the Space slider too but was not regularly and not reproducable for me. I have another one with copy and paste of clips with is already reported. Usually if reported to the support they get fixed till next update. But I must say I have no general stability issues with the Pro (on win 7 64 bit, old machine with i-3 and 8 GB only and on Notebook win 10).

I haven't had too many problems with it crashing. I do have an i7 with 32 GBs of RAM, and I think some of my crashing has been the template in Cubase/ProTools as I may be using too much RAM/CPU.

But I look at it as a starting point and a learning tool. You can make it sound pretty good with a bit of work and then when you import the midi, you can fix stuff like humanization. I have both RapidComposer and Synfire LE, and this is so much easier to use. I've actually got a short piece done, whereas I never got much past the playing around point with the others.

Reactions: Rey
Regarding the upgrade from Artist (from Plugin Boutique) to Pro ... Yes - this is exactly what I did yesterday ... The upgrade is 250 Euro and you have to enter your Artist license into your account details first ... There were some hiccups but their support is very responsive and resolved the issues even during weekend ...

Just a little advice - be sure to check that your DAW is compatible - (broken link removed)

what kind of hiccups? I got intouched with their sales rep they said yes it can be upgraded to pro at their website once purchased the artist version at plugin boutique. heard a lot of stuffs coming in 1.3 and 1.4 version of orb which it said end of October. looking forward to it. although I ll wait before upgrading to pro. maybe they ll be more discount? hehe

They indeed have a very strange pricing model somewhat punishing early adopters by lowering prices.
I bought the Pro version in the "Early Bird" pre-release sale at 350 Euro - the announced regular price for that one was over 600 Euro.
The one thing that keeps me from feeling "cheated" by those dwindling prices is the fact that I've had Orb Composer "serve my command" since April and it already helped me compose lots of tunes.

My latest use of Orb Composer (I tried to check out how it handles lots of instruments, this is the highest number of instruments I've used in an OC composition project so far) is here:

really nice.the orchestral and strings are orb composer's strength. sounds beautiful. I wish they also can improve on artist version for pop, rock and electro. to sound as pro as orchestral and strings templates.

HiEnergy- Thanks for the posts and info. Welcome comments on the new version (I believe 1.3) that just released. 50% off BF sale looks tempting.

The latest update to Orb Composer comes with a lot of new features.
I picked one of those features: Chord Split - yes, Chord Splitting!
Orb Composer can now have more than one chord per bar. This is done by splitting bars into smaller units.
Watch me try this feature in my latest screencast:

Orb Composer - Testing Chord Split

Jesus... I know what I'm gonna do: place electrodes all over my head (have a look at Brindisys system or Glass brain project, among others!) and sensors at my fingertips during the night and connect all that stuff to my sweet little daw. Then, in the morning, I'll let Orb Composer organize meticulously all the ideas. Sort of like "from the Big Bang to the organized material and substances".

tenor.gif

Seriously, this program is probably an aid (a tool) for an introduction to "how to arrange music". We already have arrangers from ROLAND, YAMAHA and so on with good sounds and automatic accompaniment tracks. But, I fear this kind of program cannot generate a simple melody.

To compose = to create a melody line or a theme.
To arrange = to structure rythmically and harmonically that melody by the use of instruments

Otherwise, I'm going to change my will. Instead of bequeathing my brain to the humanity (or to other composers on VI Control) I am going to bequeath my futur Orb Composer. Simple joke.

Okay, if Orb Composer can make the coffee too, I'll buy the pro version immediately.
Anyway, have fun with or without this kinda programs. But, don't forget, music is cerebral AND emotional.

brain heart.gif

Unfortunately Orb Composer still can't make the coffee..
But it can help with creating music.
In Orb Composer S the composition algorithm was slightly improved.
I've given it a try. Watch my latest video on variety with Orb Composer S.

Last edited:
Top Bottom