What's new

Orb Composer - fully automated music composition tool

Can’t wait to see the results!
Here's the result: A video which shows a workflow involving Orb Composer and Synfire.
While Orb Composer can create music "out of thin air", Synfire is great at working with already analyzed material and refining harmonically and rhythmically intricate musical structures.
In the screencast Orb Composer creates a chord progression and a melody whereas Synfire analyzes the material Orb Composer delivers and gets it ready for further processing and re-using.

Rey, of course I cant speak for Hexachord but maybe you should just ask them precisely again (if you already have a ticket open) that - as far as I understood - you dont need licences for more then 3 PC/Notebooks but want to be sure that if you change your system and need another activation for it that you can get another activation for that without need to pay. After my experiences with Hexachord that should not be a problem, but then you have it written down. Technically it should be no issue for them to generate another one. So far they dont have a system to just give a license back before changing something on the system and then take it back again, so I would say it is their turn to ensure that you can use three licenses. Really cant imagine any problem, they are nice guys :).

got in contact several days ago with Hexachords CS. I have been told they can provide another activation for good reason if we used up all the 3 activations given. Good reasons such as pc upgrade update, corrupt error etc....

They also told me they dont have deactivation system. But they do deactivation per customer request. Although im not clear and didnt ask further question like if we decide to deactivate on previous system, does that mean we are now back to 3 activations? I just like that peace of mind knowing I having spare activations ready at hand when I need em.

Last edited:
I find the prize policy a little strange, the best service prize is really much cheaper (at least in germany when you buy in euro its 60 € difference) and this is a good reseller, so I cant imagine any problems, I have bought lots of stuff from them and their own prodct line speaks for themself. Maybe they just want to spent their energy more in devellopment then in sales (which is not bad :).

I bought it at Bestservice 339€ : significant difference compared to developer website indeed ....

I bought it at Bestservice 339€ : significant difference compared to developer website indeed ....

great to know. do you get product updates from bestservice.de for orb composer easily? current version now is 1.2.1 and soon to be 1.3

Bestservice send you a serial number that you activate on Hexachords website after creating an account ... Very easy and all update available

Here's my latest screencast with Orb Composer:
Watch me create a short piece of New Age style music...
The full composition process is shown, creation of the instrument tracks in Live is omitted, lengthy processes are slightly timelapsed, no narration.

Enjoy!

I just saw that Orb Composer (Artist edition) is now on sale at Plugin Boutique for $89 USD until October 8, down from the current list of $179 USD, which is down from the original list just a few months ago (April) of $430 USD(!).

I have no inside information whatsoever, but can't help but wonder if Hexachords is finally realizing its original pricing was a bit... unrealistic.

In any event, Orb Composer has now reached a price point that makes sense to me, so I think I'm going to go for it.

I just saw that Orb Composer (Artist edition) is now on sale at Plugin Boutique for $89 USD until October 8, down from the current list of $179 USD, which is down from the original list just a few months ago (April) of $430 USD(!).

I have no inside information whatsoever, but can't help but wonder if Hexachords is finally realizing its original pricing was a bit... unrealistic.

In any event, Orb Composer has now reached a price point that makes sense to me, so I think I'm going to go for it.

I think that is just for the artist version.the pro version is still valuable when it comes to orchestration. Artist version is ok. But I’d like to upgrade to pro. I wonder if I purchase the artist versiOn at discount at plugin boutique can I still upgrade to pro later on at orb composer website

I did not even know that Orb Composer is available via retailers. Thought that only Hexachords sells this product.
I didn’t know either till I saw someone mentioned about it at other website I can’t remember. I just found out it’s at plugin boutique to and at discount for artist version

I must say I am a little puzzled from the prize and retail politic from Hexachord. First prizes were obvioiusly to high, so they lowered the prizes in general, thats fine for me even if they felt under the pre-release prize I payed, they offered better upgrade conditions for that.

And I can follow the step to resell it over well respected resellers as bestservice who are close to develloping process with own products. But now such a discount on a plugin "discounter" (nothing against pluginboutique, but thats their place in the market for me), that has definitely nothing to do no more with the exclusivness they claimed for the product at the beginning.

And I really wonder if the way cause to a 9.90 bucks sale at vstbuzz (nothing against them again, I love their sales, but...).

Rey: I would be really interested if you can get the same upgrade prize like people who paid regularly for the artist version, on the one hand you should, on the other hand would be extreme unfair for the people who paid for that or directly for the pro version regularly.

I wonder if these different dissolving marketing strategies will work together in a fair way for evrybody. I must say after being deeply disappointed by ways like Rigid Audio for me its simple a point of TRUST. It might not matter for something like Rigid Audio if you follow that ridiculous price "policy" and just dont care but I dont think thats the way with Hexachord, they are honest guys and hard working devellopers, I am sure they are looking for the best way, still I wonder...

I didn’t know either till I saw someone mentioned about it at other website I can’t remember. I just found out it’s at plugin boutique to and at discount for artist version
Regarding the upgrade from Artist (from Plugin Boutique) to Pro ... Yes - this is exactly what I did yesterday ... The upgrade is 250 Euro and you have to enter your Artist license into your account details first ... There were some hiccups but their support is very responsive and resolved the issues even during weekend ...

Just a little advice - be sure to check that your DAW is compatible - https://www.orb-composer.com/faq/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rey
They indeed have a very strange pricing model somewhat punishing early adopters by lowering prices.
I bought the Pro version in the "Early Bird" pre-release sale at 350 Euro - the announced regular price for that one was over 600 Euro.
The one thing that keeps me from feeling "cheated" by those dwindling prices is the fact that I've had Orb Composer "serve my command" since April and it already helped me compose lots of tunes.

My latest use of Orb Composer (I tried to check out how it handles lots of instruments, this is the highest number of instruments I've used in an OC composition project so far) is here:

Is there any way of adding 'humanity' or swing?
It all sounds so rigid that it's putting me off buying the Artist version in this sale,

Is there any way of adding 'humanity' or swing?
It all sounds so rigid that it's putting me off buying the Artist version in this sale,
simmo75: There is a syncopation option when editing the clip (found at the rhythm tab) - and you can apply any MIDI transformation to the imported MIDI tracks directly within your DAW ...

simmo: its a little different concept (orchestral based from thinking) of these things. You have different points where you can add that "humane" feeling:

- curves for intensity and momentum you could set for every beat separately
- articulation, role, dynamics, rhythm..... you can set for evry instrument

Out of these ingredients the KI "cooks" that feel :).

simmo: its a little different concept (orchestral based from thinking) of these things. You have different points where you can add that "humane" feeling:

- curves for intensity and momentum you could set for every beat separately
- articulation, role, dynamics, rhythm..... you can set for evry instrument

Out of these ingredients the KI "cooks" that feel :).

Many thanks!

Top Bottom