What's new

Orange Tree?

I am thinking of picking up an electric guitar during this sale as I don't currently have many options at the moment. However, I don't really write much for guitar so I probably only need one for the time being. Any insight on which OT electric guitar might be the most versatile across genres? Based on the demos I am thinking the Rock Standard might be best, but I figured I'd ask for any other opinions.

Same question can be applied to the basses as well, although I am less certain on whether or not I am going to buy a bass.

That's a tough one to answer, as even the best libraries aren't going to behave in the same way as a live instrument. Even so, probably the best answer is more or less the same as for real guitars: a Strat is generally the most versatile guitar, as it is the most neutral and thus can take to treatments fairly predictably, as well as having a good range of built-in multiple personalities with the five-way switch and the "quack" settings (I haven't really tried hard to see how well the libraries cover this ground though).

My personal favourite was the Dracus, as it's an 8-string Schecter model that no other vendor covers, it obviously has a wide frequency range, and also it helps me better distinguish two guitars in a mix vs. a sea of mud. More so than with live guitars, combining guitar libraries when covering multiple parts in a song, can be a challenge in terms of maintaining the separateness and articulateness of each part.

I'd say the Rock Standard and the Strawberry are the best all-rounders. I used Strawberry for quite a while as my sole OTS electric and it did the job very nicely, though Rock Standard is the newer of the two, FWIW. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

Stratosphere seems a bit more particular to me in terms of where it fits in, as it tends to feel bright and sharp in my experience.

Yep, and bright and sharp cuts through the mix like nothing else. Also much easier to get a choppy sound. But I too use Strawberry the most. I have Rock Standard but haven't gravitated towards it yet, just because I haven't started any new projects recently that have guitar (I'm mostly working on classical, jazz, and world music projects at the moment).

Bought the mandolin, zither, Strat and steel string during Black Friday. Loving all of them, esp. the mandolin! Really nice presets and playability for melodies.

The strumming patterns respond too unpredictably though, in all chord modes. Strumming starts all right but then measures stay quiet, only for the strumming to start again later. Notes drop off of chords at random. It's not usable that way. The steel string has less problems strumming...

So now I'm strumming manually, which works alright and is more flexible, but I'd really like to know what's going on. I have the Quantize for strumming option enabled in the instrument and play the chords early so there's time for them to be recognised, but still - no luck...

To be honest, I am somehow a bit relieved by the comments about the strumming engine... because even if I had some shining moments with it, I quite often was not that happy. But bcs of the in every other aspect superb quality of Greg’s work, I was counting that as rather my unability...
OTH, I had some good results with Ilya’s Nylon Strum.

So looking forward, what the engine update may add in that regard...

Trying to make long glides on Flatwound, either up or down, from one note to another, but to no avail.
Only found very short up glides and a global down release.
If anyone be so kind point me in the right direction.

Rather easy to do on Ample basses, with variable speed too, but Orange sound so much better to my ears.

Trying to make long glides on Flatwound, either up or down, from one note to another, but to no avail.
Only found very short up glides and a global down release.
If anyone be so kind point me in the right direction.

Rather easy to do on Ample basses, with variable speed too, but Orange sound so much better to my ears.
The settings page has parameters for the legato up and down ranges.

Nearly any time I'm working with the Orange Tree guitars, I end up automating the legato range parameters. It'd be nice if a future version could allow overriding those limits when doing slides.

Hoping Greg sees these last posts and comments ..... but he could well be dealing with ongoing
No Calif fires, especially with forecast high temps and more winds. Awful stuff ........

Top Bottom