What's new

Orange Tree?

Generally wondering about their stuff and anyone here who has used, what you thought about whatever you used etc.

I just bought Evolution Rosewood Grand. friends here had spoken highly of it.
I got it on the Summer group buy.
my expectations were reined in, as I think I'm kind of picky and a little hard to please.
well its a 10 out of 10, all the way for me. I love it.
would have bought it long ago if I'd known I'd like it this much.
also, I had a question. Greg got right back to me. on a Friday night.
highly recommend ERG and Orangetree.

Yes, Rosewood Piano is a surprise. Somehow it just cuts through the mix perfectly in some contexts where other pianos get lost. It sounds a bit grainy, dirty, etc., when soloed, but that may be why it can work so well in a dense mix. And I don't necessarily mean large orchestral works; just anything that has a lot of tracks, even including synths.

Last edited:
Yes, Rosewood Piano is a surprise. Somehow it just cuts through the mix perfectly in some contexts where other pianos get lost in the mix. It sounds a bit grainy, dirty, etc., when soloed, but that may be why it can work so well in a dense mix. And I don't necessarily mean large orchestral works; just anything that has a lot of tracks, even including synths.

hi Mark,
I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts about Rosewood Piano.
and just to add a little about it, from how I've used it:
I've only used it soloed. and I really like the tone and everything about it, soloed.

Anybody have opinions on the upright bass Pear ? I'm thinking of adding it to my list but I've no idea how it compares with other upright bass options ?

Anybody have opinions on the upright bass Pear ? I'm thinking of adding it to my list but I've no idea how it compares with other upright bass options ?

Well that's a first, to find somewhere on the internet where nobody wants to offer opinion :crying::rofl:

I like the pear bass, but I haven't really used it much. More because I'm not quite sure what to do with bass and right after I bought it I found another company's bass that does an ostinato thing? Anyway, makes a quick bass line. It will get used eventually though.

Well that's a first, to find somewhere on the internet where nobody wants to offer opinion :crying::rofl:
I'm in the same boat as you. It's on my list but still not sure - check out this thread for some posts about jazz upright basses. I didn't see too many about the CoreBass Pear but from what I've heard it sounds good, especially if you lower the pre-pluck noise a bit.

Have all OTS libs, but pianist, not bassist. CoreBass Pear is an older product and not with Evolution improvements … afaik. Must be accessed via Kontakt 'Files' menu vs Libraries.
It has 8 nki _ default, pop, jazz, elect upright, psychedelic. retro. rockabilly, smooth.

Greg's recording, scripting skills are strong, but you will need to listen to the (3) audio demo tracks carefully to know if it fits your needs. Greg is usually very helpful when contacted via the site Support link.

Hope you get some stronger Replies !

I'm in the same boat as you. It's on my list but still not sure - check out this thread for some posts about jazz upright basses. I didn't see too many about the CoreBass Pear but from what I've heard it sounds good, especially if you lower the pre-pluck noise a bit.

Thanks for the thread link certainly gives me more to think about, if Pear was the only one on sale it would make the choice much easier but I'm stuck now between Pear, Straight Ahead and Fluffy Audio simple jazz bass, I think SA is just edging it based on features but they all sound equally good to my untrained ears

Thanks for the thread link certainly gives me more to think about, if Pear was the only one on sale it would make the choice much easier but I'm stuck now between Pear, Straight Ahead and Fluffy Audio simple jazz bass, I think SA is just edging it based on features but they all sound equally good to my untrained ears
No problem! I've been getting by with the Kontakt Factory upright and jazz upright. Any of these would be an improvement.

Have all OTS libs, but pianist, not bassist. CoreBass Pear is an older product and not with Evolution improvements … afaik. Must be accessed via Kontakt 'Files' menu vs Libraries.
It has 8 nki _ default, pop, jazz, elect upright, psychedelic. retro. rockabilly, smooth.

Greg's recording, scripting skills are strong, but you will need to listen to the (3) audio demo tracks carefully to know if it fits your needs. Greg is usually very helpful when contacted via the site Support link.

Hope you get some stronger Replies !
I wonder if Greg would eventually update it to Evolution standards like he did with Evolution Dracus?

Core Bass Pear is a good library, even though it's missing the newer OT engine and expanded sample set that OT's newer libraries have to support and take advantage of their newer engine.

It has a dark tone with lots of fundamental and less high partials (overtones). It works very well for tracks that call for that sort of sound. A bassist with that sort of tone was Charlie Haden (I'm not saying that the library sounds anywhere near as good as Charlie Haden though; that'd be impossible IMO). If you need a deep, round bass sound to add bottom and some thump to your track, it'll do that well.

For other tracks where you might want a Ron Carter or Eddie Gomez sound with more edge to the tone, you might choose another library (maybe Straight Ahead Bass?).

No problem! I've been getting by with the Kontakt Factory upright and jazz upright. Any of these would be an improvement.

I wonder if Greg would eventually update it to Evolution standards like he did with Evolution Dracus?
They mentioned it's in the works on Facebook a while back and answering my follow up here. Unfortunately, they gave the impression it's lower on the priority list, so it's going to be a while.

I ended up going for CoreBass Pear along with some others. These are my first OTS libraries - I have to say that I am more than pleased with the sample quality and programming. Even older ones like CoreBass Pear still sound good to me, and the Angelic series is even better than I expected... the long sustains are glorious and the harp has a wonderful realistic definition to it (not to mention the glissando engine is very useful). These are some of the few instrument purchases I've made where I don't feel any sort of regret or buyers remorse, and at such a great discount.

Some of the best recorded and programmed libraries out there, and one of the best developers as a human, technically, and ease of working with. It would be great if CoreBass Pear gets an overhaul at some point, to bring it up to date with the newer libs. Great in concept, and still covers some unique ground. But it was done at a time when libraries had to be smaller due to expensive disc space.

Well, I went back to check since I thought I got all I was going to buy, but there was the slide bundle for $24.50 sitting in my cart. (I had one) I figured why not and left the orange slices for next year. I think I will get the grand next year. :)

Top Bottom