What's new

Orange Tree?

Just to comment on Texas Twang...it is lovely and fits the Telecaster bill just right. While I would love to see a Jaguar done, this will fill in the hole till Greg decides to do one.

First off, what the heck that question mark means next to Orange Tree? Ouch, doing the same mistake right here. I mean the question mark in the thread title... I simply don’t like it.:)

Seriously, I think it’s good to point out here how buying into OTS libraries pays off in the long run. With all the intro prices, group buys and Orange Slices I ended up with the all guitars bundle over the years and this time I’m only upgrading the bass bundle. Funny thing, I do play guitar well enough to record pretty much anything I might need. But there’s so much variety in the tone and character in all these samples, that it’s fun to fire up Texas Twang (I don’t own a real Tele) and just play. Brings kinda mental smile to my face. Well worth the money if you ask me.

...and again, please, delete that question mark, it’s highly irritating:) OTS is unquestionably pure gold (I mean orange, but that’s close enough).

I love what Greg puts on the table.
He knows how to get the greatest tone from these select guitars.
TBH, when it's crunch time, I would often forego setting up my guitar rigs and just use his samples!

First off, what the heck that question mark means next to Orange Tree? Ouch, doing the same mistake right here. I mean the question mark in the thread title... I simply don’t like it.:)

If you read the OP, I think they were inexperienced and wanted to know more about the quality and playability. It is easy to understand when you are familiar with a particular workflow. All the quality in the world does not always translate to familiarity/usability/playability with your workflow.

Looks like a joke doesn’t always translate either:)

Ha...you mean sarcasm in the form of a joke...you are right...I am so literal sometimes! Once a friend and I were leaving a theater after watching some obviously stupid movie and he said "That was a really really really great film." I looked at him and said, "You have GOT to be kidding me man, that movie was pathetically bad!" Sarcasm has rarely translated with me.

But yes, on second read, I see what you meant. ;)

It's pretty good, but I prefer to play the real instrument as it's less work overall. I still prefer the Wavelore Glide II library, but am not sure if it can still be bought as the developer seems to have either disappeared or folded, as mentioned in other threads regarding other products from that vendor.

Be aware that the range of lap steel sounds is huge, so you might first want to ask yourself how much range you need, and if you have a preferred player, then see which library matches that sound the closest. But the two mentioned above are the only games in town as far as I know, except for a basic General MIDI patch in East/West Goliath.

It's pretty good, but I prefer to play the real instrument as it's less work overall. I still prefer the Wavelore Glide II library, but am not sure if it can still be bought as the developer seems to have either disappeared or folded, as mentioned in other threads regarding other products from that vendor.

Be aware that the range of lap steel sounds is huge, so you might first want to ask yourself how much range you need, and if you have a preferred player, then see which library matches that sound the closest. But the two mentioned above are the only games in town as far as I know, except for a basic General MIDI patch in East/West Goliath.
Thanks for the info!

Also, more to the point than even the timbre, the pickups, which model was sampled, and the player, is the tuning of the lap steel, which falls into three basic camps with lots of variations and customization, often dictated by genre (country vs. rock etc.).

I bought the Gold Tone LS-8 tribute to the famous Oahu Tonemaster model, in the 8-string version. A real bargain instrument; I had a Gretsch before, and a worthless Rogue as my first trial. I have tuned my Oahu to F#-A-C#-E-f#-a-c#-e using John Pearse 7650 Nickel Wound strings. I like having the doubled octave unison tuning, which is easier to do with an eight-string than a six-string as the six-string may not cover a wide enough note range if it's tuned that way.

I forget how much flexibility the two libraries have, and am too tired to look as I am focusing on salvaging some band demos at the moment. I'm afraid of going down a rabbit hole, as I need to wrap up at least one song tonight for my jazz combo to review before the next stage of production, but hopefully this in formation helps people to "ask the right questions" when looking at the user manuals and/or the GUI's in Kontakt for the Wavelore and OTS libraries.

So I have Angelic Harp and Slide Acoustic on my group buy list. I was wondering, since I'm not 100% that I'm going to actually get Slide Acoustic, will I get individual discount coupons for each library, or will it be one coupon discount for the two libraries together?

So I have Angelic Harp and Slide Acoustic on my group buy list. I was wondering, since I'm not 100% that I'm going to actually get Slide Acoustic, will I get individual discount coupons for each library, or will it be one coupon discount for the two libraries together?
You will get a single code for your cart and you can the same code for multiple orders.

Generally wondering about their stuff and anyone here who has used, what you thought about whatever you used etc.
I picked up a few of their VIs last year for a film score project. It's a road trip movie that ends up in the southern U.S. In addition to my score, the soundtrack has a lot of pop and blues songs with lots of guitar. I wanted my score to fit into that context and I found the OTS guitars worked great for me. I'm very happy with how the note bending sounds and how easy it was to perform these parts.

The first guitar is Strawberry and the Lap Steel starts at 0:12. I also used CoreBass Pear.

This cue uses the CoreBass Pear; the bendy stuff is the lap steel and the tremolo guitar is Strawberry. There is also some real guitar in there.

- Carlos

But the two [steel lap guitars] mentioned above are the only games in town as far as I know, except for a basic General MIDI patch in East/West Goliath.
Well, Indiginus https://www.indiginus.com/slide_lap_steel.html (just pre-announced their lap steel)set for release in "early August."

Hrm... Seems like the new theme doesn't change the color has a much too subtle color to indicate a hyperlink. In the preview and editor it only shows the underline on hover, but it displays as a regular underline in the final version.. o_O

That’s a wonderfully full and resonant mix you’re getting there, Carlos. May I ask about the processing?
Thanks! I didn't use any effects on the Strawberry or lap steel. There is compression on the Pear bass. The overall mix has Sonnox Inflator and Ozone Elements. The Ozone EQ cuts 2 dB in a wide band centered at 1k and boosts a little centered at 150 and also from 5k on up about 1.5dB. Aimed at staying out of the dialog range. Just a touch of stereoizer in Ozone and subtle compression. There might have been some VSL MIRacle 1.9sec reverb on the overall mix.

I highly recommend Sonnox Inflator. Watch for it to go on sale. I like the fact that it brings up the quiet bits without the pumping you get from regular compression. Useful too since most of my cues are behind dialog and therefore very quiet. If I didn't use Inflator, the quietest parts would likely get completely lost in the film mix.

Very interesting. The OT guitars and Pear bass sound quite good.

I have the Inflator but I bought it for an increase in perceived loudness and never had any luck with it. I do use Ozone’s Imager here and there and I tend to like it.

Thanks for your response.

Top Bottom