What's new

Orange Tree?

They make a very good jazz/rock flute, kind of Jethro Tull-ish, that is smart and playable and requires almost zero programming. (Almost, because it has an annoying quirk where you have to set the expression parameter at the start of every track or it defaults to the minimum, but otherwise it's a really great library, and for that sound in particular it's the best I know of.)

Five Stars, all the way. OTS is an immediate buy for me. I use sampled quitars a lot and because of the evolution engine I can deal with them all the same way, which is HUGE. For example, I have my own snapshots for each of them and they all share a common keyswitch mapping. So there is a small setup curve, but you can just use Greg's factory snapshots and never go deeper than that, if you like.

Love their guitars yet still learning how to use them. I have a question since OTS users are gathering...

Re: Evolution Guitars - is there any way to key switch articulations in any of the chord modes?

I've been looking for a single mode best for both lead & rhythm playing. Chord Mode seems to be a nice middle ground between Play & Strum Modes, but I lose the ability to key switch articulations as far as I can tell. So I've been using Play Mode, but I always find myself editing to get realistic chord voicings.

Wow, what a response. Big thanks to everyone for the replies. I also notice that you can use them via the free Kontakt player, which is surprising.

Wow, what a response. Big thanks to everyone for the replies. I also notice that you can use them via the free Kontakt player, which is surprising.
Most of the libraries yes. Some older ones do not support Kontakt Player. This is made perfectly clear directly below the product name on each product page with either "Kontakt Player Included" or "Full Version of Kontakt Required."

Everything in the Stratosphere series has NKS functionality and can be used in the player. :)

Most of the libraries yes. Some older ones do not support Kontakt Player. This is made perfectly clear directly below the product name on each product page with either "Kontakt Player Included" or "Full Version of Kontakt Required."
Thanks, yeah I didn't look at them all, but the ones I did all said you could use the player.

I've been looking for a single mode best for both lead & rhythm playing. Chord Mode seems to be a nice middle ground between Play & Strum Modes, but I lose the ability to key switch articulations as far as I can tell. So I've been using Play Mode, but I always find myself editing to get realistic chord voicings.
The articulation mapping in the PLAY section should still apply even when you're using one of the chord modes. However, bear in mind that the strum keys themselves don't impart a specific articulation--that's still dictated by how you have things set up in the articulation mapping, so they still follow the velocity ranges, keyswitches, etc., that you have set up.

As a side-note, we're planning to add a way of defining your own strum keys which ARE tied to an articulation. That way you can have strum keys that are palm muted next to ones that are played as open sustains, for example.

Evolution Rock Standard and Evolution Infinity are my go-tos, mainly for heavier rock/metal chords. I love them and feel like I'm probably not even using them to the fullest, but can always get what I want pretty quickly. Orange Tree is a model developer in my opinion. Instruments are resellable! :inlove:

Last edited:
For guitars especially electric, it would be top shelf. Very playable and very good interface. But for acoustic I may prefer Indiginus guitars and vir2 more. Also Ilya Efimov has pretty sweet guitars both electric and acoustic. For the rest of the instruments - well, I know the developer probably mean it well...

Stay away!!! Once you start buying some, you'll just find them too useful to not have them all, and then you'll keep finding the bundled prices too good, and you'll use THOSE, and it's a vicious cycle of paying far too reasonable prices with far too good loyalty discounts for far too good products. Unless, you know, you like those kinds of things.

Seriously don't mention Orange Tree right now: the roundwound just came out, and I at least want to pretend for a few weeks that I'm not going to get it.

Love Passion Flute longtime (I used it tonight!), love Lap Steel. Angelic Harp hasn't worked out for me...it sounds nice on its own but I can't get it to sit in a mix properly.

Overall, I love the ethos of the company, the personal touch, the positive interface between company and user.

"kind of" Jethro Tull-ish,

Not even mentioning how Passion Flute is absolutely screaming for Anderson- styled playing, but judging from the name of it, font resemblance and the certain color scheme, I have a feeling that being "kind of Jethro Tull- ish" wasn't really a coincidence from their side. :D

71Aqzhn3v8L._SL1425_.jpg

Also, this post made me decide I'm going to listen a lot of JT today.

Funny how different our ears are. The piano is the least muddy of almost any I can think of (once you tweak it away from its default settings, of course); especially for Yamaha C7 samples. And though it isn't quite as deep or as flexible as some more recent offerings, it's the one I reach for when I really need something bright to cut through a dense pop/rock mix.

Top Bottom