What's new

Orange Tree Samples 2019 Group Buy - NOW 60% OFF!!

Polkasound

But here's my problem...these libraries really only shine when you're good at playing a keyboard like a guitar, right? Any resources for learning how to do that better? I do play real guitars, but I'm pretty much a hack ;)
In my opinion, OTS guitars shine no matter who uses them, because they are beautifully sampled and scripted. But nothing can make any virtual instrument track shine more than when the person playing the virtual instrument understands the real one and how it is played. That knowledge supersedes keyboard skills, because even if you're a hack keyboard player, you can apply that knowledge by editing a crummy performance and turning it into gold.

The other week I put together some music for a wedding, and used a SWAM Flute. I'm not a flute player, but I closed my eyes and imagined where breaths would be taken, which notes might have a stronger attack, how running short of breath might affect vibrato and note length, etc. I edited the &$*%! out of the the track until it sounded right to my ears. Since you have experience playing guitar, you should be able to close your eyes and imagine where notes might slide into each other, where you'd hammer on or off, where you'd bend a string, etc. If you're not quite at that level of playing, there are lots of videos and audio files out there of fantastic guitarists from which you can learn a great deal.

It's tempting, when using a keyboard, to make every note of a virtual instrument track sound equally neat. You have to train your brain to accept the beauty in imperfection. When you hear a real guitar performance, you're not just hearing notes being played -- you're also hearing a flurry of misfretted notes, barely-audible hammer-ons/offs, slides, squeaks, fret buzz, accidental mutes, etc -- and all of those things are what make the performance real and beautiful.

I apologize since I am not exactly citing a particular resource, but my point is that your ears and the infinite music around you are some of the best learning tools.

brek

Just bought Angelic Harp. Oh man, that thing is gorgeous.

As a guitar player I've always avoided guitar sample libs, but have been tooling around a lot with Session Guitarist since I upgraded to K12 last month. It's a lot of fun... Specifically doing things that I wouldn't/couldn't do on a real guitar 😎. Might be a time to look at more of OTS's offerings.

Lode_Runner

The Roundwound and Flatwound bass guitars are amazing Orange Tree. :notworthy: These are the bass guitars I have been wanting for years. They cover everything from Aston Barrett to John Paul Jones to Eric Avery. Basically 90% of the bass sounds I'm looking for.

I can not wait for the Rickenbacker and Jaco to be updated to the Evolution engine now, and for the Hofner. :thumbsup:

TrojakEW

In my opinion, OTS guitars shine no matter who uses them, because they are beautifully sampled and scripted. But nothing can make any virtual instrument track shine more than when the person playing the virtual instrument understands the real one and how it is played. That knowledge supersedes keyboard skills, because even if you're a hack keyboard player, you can apply that knowledge by editing a crummy performance and turning it into gold.
This! I don't have a clue hot play guitar or any other instrumnets and I'm not even a musician but what is really great about OTS guitar that they are easy to play even for noob like me.

My first track using my first OTS library Dracus for the first time without knowing what it can do:

Then I decide get more stuff form OTS and 2 months later used Stratosphere in this one:

Really GREAT libraries.:thumbsup:

BezO

The Artisan
I love the tones I get from my Evolution Stratosphere...and the Rock Standard would be SUCH a nice addition. But here's my problem...these libraries really only shine when you're good at playing a keyboard like a guitar, right? Any resources for learning how to do that better? I do play real guitars, but I'm pretty much a hack ;)
For chords, the Auto Chord mode does a good job of voicing. Outside of Chord mode, where you play on the "neck" vs the fret position setting is important. And keep an eye on the virtual fret board during playback, adjusting what you would never play on a guitar. A bit tedious, but your guitar playing experience will be invaluable.

I do wish the scripting helped a bit more outside of Chord mode.

The Roundwound and Flatwound bass guitars are amazing Orange Tree. :notworthy: These are the bass guitars I have been wanting for years. They cover everything from Aston Barrett to John Paul Jones to Eric Avery. Basically 90% of the bass sounds I'm looking for.

I can not wait for the Rickenbacker and Jaco to be updated to the Evolution engine now, and for the Hofner. :thumbsup:
Exactly what I'll be picking up. In vids at least, they do sound a bit brighter than what I use now (Scarbe Pre & Jay Basses) though.

I do wish the scripting helped a bit more outside of Chord mode.
Me too.

One feature that I dream about is the ability to play single strings of a chord (within the right chord voicing) more easily. Would be awesome if this could be done even in chord mode (with keyswitches for up strum, down strum and individual strings as well).

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
Does anyone know where the Pick Scrape (pick drag) articulations are? I looked in the list but didn't see any.
(I am on the Flange Lead snapshot in Evolution Infinity)

Jimgue

Anyone know of any contests, etc to try and grab some Orange Slices? I've been looking but haven't seen any and usually there's some to supplement the Group Buy. Thx

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Anyone know of any contests, etc to try and grab some Orange Slices? I've been looking but haven't seen any and usually there's some to supplement the Group Buy. Thx
As far as I know, orange slices are only from purchases.

august80

Anyone use the slide guitars - pedal steel or acoustic? I'm seeing walkthrough videos from 2014 that sound somewhat okay, but always tough to tell in walkthroughs. You can tell in the video that they don't sound quite as good as more recent stuff, but there aren't a lot of slide options on the market. And curious if there's a point to having these if there are other OTS libraries allow for slide among the many articulations. (researching that now).

This is something which also came up as a question here. The Slide Libraries have a fine sound, hopefully their usabilty / playability is better than with the Wavelore Pedal Steel (which I still like a lot for its sound) - I also watched the few existing videos.

I guess it's really not that easy to get such an instrument ready to play without some xtra learning curve.
Btw I'm also waiting with some expectations for the Lap Steel guitar by Indiginus (announced -> August)

BezO

The Artisan
I'd have a lot more on my list if they were NKS. Rosewood Grand, Passion Flute, MesaWinds, the remaining basses, Slide Acoustic & Lap Steel... I know new instruments generate more sales, but I hope NKSing at least the basses are not TOO far into the future.

I'll probably make my purchase of the Round/Flatwound basses tomorrow and get acquainted over the weekend.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
One of my favorite ways to add some more humanity to a sequenced guitar part is giving the end of some notes a subtle slide toward the next note, looking at the guitar fretboard in Kontakt to see where the slide should be aiming.

With the OTS Evolution guitars, I usually have automation lanes for Legato Volume (since the Velocity Slide articulation can't control volume and speed independently), Legato Up Range, and Legato Down Range, to be able to slide as far as needed and to get the volume just right.

(A more efficient way of doing this would be fantastic in an Evolution engine update... I'd like to see a way to fine-tune slide volume and speed independently without automation, maybe using the note velocity for volume and the keyswitch velocity for speed, and a way to force slides regardless of legato range.)

The effect I go for is usually pretty subtle, especially with acoustic guitar parts where depending on how soft and intimate the piece is it might even be like the barely-perceptible ghost of a slide as a note ends. Layer it with a fret noise if needed, then you start the next note with another pick.

It's easy to overdo this and end up with an unnatural result, but if you can get a sense for where it feels right musically (and logistically), it lends some nice added tactile feel to your virtual guitarist, I think!
This is a nice tip to add some realism to the end of notes. Thanks! I'm gonna try it.

Another way to get legato slides is create a short overlapping chromatic run. I may experiment with that at the end of notes, as well.

Your tracks sound really nice, b-t-w.

Anyone here having problems descompacting the rar files?

The funny thing is that I´ve done this 10000 times (including my previous OTS libraries) but this time nothing is working (yes, all file names are correct, on the same folder, with the right size and I´ve used 3 different applications, including UnRarX).

I'm pretty sure the problem is with me because this is happening with all OTS libraries I just downloaded.

The exact problems is: descompacting the engine.rar files is ok, but when I go for the part1, I only get part1. Neither UnRarX, The Unarchiver or RAR Extractor gets the other files (even when I try selecting all .rar files).

Since I installed my previous OTS libraries successfully, the only difference is that I reinstalled my macOS. Maybe I´m missing something?

I´m on Mojave 10.14.5

EDIT: Solved! Removed all rar applications - except UnRarX, reboot and done!

Last edited:

emid

The funny thing is that I´ve done this 10000 times (including my previous OTS libraries) but this time nothing is working (yes, all files names are correct, on the same folder, with the right size and I´ve used 3 different applications, including UnRarX).

I'm pretty sure the problem is with me because this is happening with all OTS libraries I just downloaded.

The exact problems is: descompacting the engine.rar files is ok, but when I go for the part1, I only get part1. Neither UnRarX, The Unarchiver or RAR Extractor gets the other files (even when I tried selecting all .rar files).

Since I installed my previous OTS libraries successfully, the only difference is that I reinstalled my macOS. Maybe I´m missing something?

I´m on Mojave 10.14.5
No problem here, just installed yesterday but on PC.

dzilizzi

I know nothing

The funny thing is that I´ve done this 10000 times (including my previous OTS libraries) but this time nothing is working (yes, all file names are correct, on the same folder, with the right size and I´ve used 3 different applications, including UnRarX).

The exact problems is: descompacting the engine.rar files is ok, but when I go for the part1, I only get part1. Neither UnRarX, The Unarchiver or RAR Extractor gets the other files (even when I try selecting all .rar files).

I´m on Mojave 10.14.5
I use 7zip, but I don't know if it comes with a Mac version. I had no problem with my downloads- also on PC.

Thank you for your answers!

I don´t know if this makes any sense at all but after uninstalling all "un-rar" applications - except for UnRarX - and rebooting computer, everything worked as expected.

Last edited:

Land of Missing Parts

flibbertigibbet
Is anyone out there using Mind Control these days? Not talking about the Kontkat multiscript, but actual telekinetic abilities.

...Just kidding, I'm talking about Orange Tree Samples' multiscript. It's a few years old, but I still do use Kontakt's instruments banks sometimes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom