What's new

Orange Tree Model E Rhodes

synthetic

Orange Tree samples is about to release their Model E Rhodes. This is the "Leeds Rentals" Rhodes heard on a ton of hit records in the early '80s. It's a very belly sound like a Dyno-my-Rhodes but better. Jay Graydon has been working on it for years and says it's 18-way crossswitch. (See his Facebook page.) You can read about the original here:

I think it was used on Steely Dan Gaucho? Definitely all over the "Jarreau" album like "Save Me", "For You" by Dionne Warwick, tons of David Foster and Jay Graydon recordings. They also say it has not been sampled before, so it's not the one in Keyscape.

It's supposed to be released in the next two weeks. The reason I'm posting in advance is that I went to the Orange Tree site and saw that they offer a discount for filling out their survey. I get 17% off my next purchase for answering around 4 questions. Not sure if it will apply to this release, but worth a shot.

It sounds great, but I am not convinced that I can't get to the same sounds with either Neo-Soul Keys 2 or Acousticsamples V-Tines MK1..

It's good to see another library is coming from Orange Tree Samples, even though I really shouldn't buy another E Piano library. Thank you for letting us know. :)

Cool. Their Canterbury is in my top 2 along side Scarbee's Classic EP-88s. The Canterbury gives me great sound and multi-outs, and the Scarbee gives me better sound for my taste but only stereo output. And I have at least 3 more that were included in bundles if I need something else.

I've been saving my slices for their Evolution basses. Not being a keyboardist, I can't imagine this being good enough to convince me I need another Rhodes. The demos sound good though.

Cool. Their Canterbury is in my top 2 along side Scarbee's Classic EP-88s. The Canterbury gives me great sound and multi-outs, and the Scarbee gives me better sound for my taste but only stereo output. And I have at least 3 more that were included in bundles if I need something else.

I've been saving my slices for their Evolution basses. Not being a keyboardist, I can't imagine this being good enough to convince me I need another Rhodes. The demos sound good though.
Canterbury Suitcase is a Soniccouture library. This will be Orange Tree Samples first Electric Piano.

I need another electric piano like I need another concert grand piano... you'd think by now I'd stop?

And, while I will be in the minority, sometimes I don't want "that" sound. My Rhodes never sounded like that, and I spent many hours tweaking it way back when. (It sits in my garage, with a box of brand new parts, one of those rainy day projects<G>).

I thought (silly me) that between Soniccouture, SampleTekk, Scarbee (is there a pattern developing?), and even AAS I had every e-piano sound I could ever want. But I will be watching this one closely. Greg does a fantastic job with his libraries, and the demos sound great, and the history is cool.

and even AAS
And then there are AIR Music Technology’s Velvet2 and Waves Electric 88 and Electric 200. Like AAS they actually sound cool and more like my own Stage Mark II SeventyThree. For some reason my own Rhodes sounds less bell-like (so totally UNLIKE the Model E) which I’m pretty fond of (at least: I associate the instrument with the sound of my own version)

Yeah, this belly Rhodes sound isn't captured well in the libraries I own. Too bad no one makes a tri-chorus plug-in. (Except UA which I don't have.) And I'm very interested to try the 18-way cross-switch, which they recorded with a mechanical keypress. Those mechanical devices are not always great for some reason, but we'll see with this one.

Fulltone? That decision hasn't aged well. That company is a pariah.
one person's opinion only - but unless he has posted more my impression of his posts is that he is concerned for fellow small business owners, and he is remarkably bad at using words to make his point. I think the attack on him is unwarranted.

I won't repeat what he said but it was not the first instance and it was enough to get his products pulled from Guitar Center and Reverb.

While I have a strong objection to hate speech, I am growing concerned that people are having their words twisted around to appear to be hate speech, the rush to censor is almost as bad as hate speech.

Mike F is not the most well spoken person - not sure if that is just his style or if he likes tweaking people. It is my opinion (worth what you paid for it) that GC and Reverb overreacted, at best, and are posturing at worst.

I've not done business with GC or MF in decades, not because of anything like this, I just don't like their business practices. I do shop at Reverb, and have no plans to boycott them because they are boycotting Fulltone. I did send them a message suggesting that they may be overreacting, but I've not received a reply.

And I promise, that is the last I will post on the topic.

It's out, and $159? No brainer for this level of detailed sampling. Sounds great, especially when you turn off the Kontakt built-in effects.

I bought it earlier today. It's nice if you want 'that sound' but, like the Keyscape Rhodes, quite hissy (actually, make that very hissy) at lower velocities. Scarbee EP-88s and Canterbury Suitcase don't have this issue.

There's also a sudden transition between Bb3 and B3 where the harder tine hits you in the head! It can make some rogue notes stand out abruptly when you're playing in that range.

I bought it earlier today. It's nice if you want 'that sound' but, like the Keyscape Rhodes, quite hissy (actually, make that very hissy) at lower velocities. Scarbee EP-88s and Canterbury Suitcase don't have this issue.

There's also a sudden transition between Bb3 and B3 where the harder tine hits you in the head! It can make some rogue notes stand out abruptly when you're playing in that range.

Do not expect this from OTS, and will be patient and allow for early 'fixes'. Just downloaded Arturia _ Stage-73 V Demo to check as well. Wish there was a Demo of Canterbury Suitcase .....

THX

Top Bottom