What's new

OPUS Orchestrator Custom patterns

Dewdman42

Alright...with the sale...I upgraded to OPUS. I'm somewhat curious about the Orchestrator in a sense of: maybe I can use it to create some of my own patterns to speed up work flow in some cases. However, I am having a bit of a time understanding how the heck that Sonuscore engine even works exactly. Anyone spent any time creating their own patterns that has it figured out...perhaps we can discuss some ideas here....

as stated, I can't figure it out honestly, so I don't even know what to ask. It never seems to work as I expect it to..

OK.. so you've the four sections..wind's, strings etc..choose instrument and articulation..hit the pen to edit it..hit the power button..select what part of chord you want to play..it does actually take a bit to figure it out alright..

Select middle say in arranger mode..or have the violins play the top..the viola the middle and the lower in the cello or something and play a chord..

Thie part that is confusing to me is how the engine actually works. For example, I put in a little test like this but playing notes on the keyboard does not result in a repeating pattern at all.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.07.49 PM.jpg

I was under the impression that this should result in the held note (or lowest note of a chord) should play the repeated note.. It does not, however, so this is fundamental to my not understanding HTF this works.

I THOUGHT I understood that basically you have Voice1 and Voice2, as two seperate patterns. If you use both voices, then you need to use an arranger mode that includes two notes from any given input chord...and those two notes will go to the two different patterns...

and for each one, the line labeled "lowest" in this case will play that lowest note of the chord and IF any other of the lines above that have rectangles, then other notes from the given chord will be added...

However the results I'm getting do not match that understanding...so what am I misunderstanding?

You have to use an arranger mode to get it going at all..piccolo should probably only be playing the top note anyway..tbh I've never used voice 2..put middle in clarinet, lowest in bassoon etc..

for this simple test I just used the lowest and it doesn't really matter since even a test holding a single note...doesn't work as expected.

see my picture above, there is an arranger mode selected. Changing it to "top" produces same result.

pfft...never mind...the enable/disable button got disabled....

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.20.21 PM.jpg

Anyway is my explanation of how I think its supposed to work, correct?

another question off the top of my head.

is there any way to save some kind of snapshot or preset for the orchestrator so that I can have it change the patterns over time? Or do I have to setup a seperate instance of OPUS for every pattern?

You've to hit that button on every pattern..
I think you have to use another one..

Also am I understanding correctly that in order to have, for example, both flutes and piccolo playing at the same time with their own patterns each, then I would need two OPUS instances, yea?

No, you can load up flutes in the section below, can you?..(maybe not..you are kind of constrained..)

I think the slot below is hard coded to oboe and English Horn. Just asking for clarity..its not big of a deal to have a few instances of OPUS, presuming OPUS shares sample memory with all other OPUS instances that is...

I think the slot below is hard coded to oboe and English Horn. Just asking for clarity..its not big of a deal to have a few instances of OPUS, presuming OPUS shares sample memory with all other OPUS instances that is...
Yeah, OK so..Yeah, it's just the 16 slots pretty much in score order..Best of luck with it anyway..

its all good, but I'm also curious to hear more about how some of you are using this feature to your advantage?

makes sense they its limited to 16 slots, because of 16 midi channels.

Speaking of which I already figured out that if using the VST version, you can capture the actual midi of each of those slots...and send to other instruments or record to a track the rendered midi.... depend on which DAW you're using...

Top Bottom