What's new

Opus Engine

José Herring

Lost in Cyberspace
I wanted to start a new Opus thread that hopefully doesn't get as negative as the main thread.

For this thread I wanted to focus on potential uses for the New Opus player.

I finally got to see the announcement and I'm more excited that ever for the new release. Seems like the trend for the player is to make it more of a musical instrument and less of a sample holder.

I'm also interested in the Orchestrator. I'm usually not a fan of this kind of stuff but I don't know why not. When it comes to synths I rather enjoy pattern sequencing, combination patches ect... So why not with orchestral samples? I think I could get into now. Many times I set up a pattern in a sequencer then output the midi to the channel, record it and tweak it further.

Wondering on what your thoughts are for Players in general that allow you other ways to create with the instrument besides the traditional midi input method? I'm going to start experimenting with ways of making music away from a keyboard more.

Thinking through things mainly because HO is my main sample library. But, in the past it was deadly important that I sequence every note to be transcribed for real players but in truth it may be time to rethink that. I never really get to see real players any more so it's become more common for the samples to be the end of it. That being said I'm finding for me it's okay if every note isn't attached to a single instrument.

we only know for sure, when it's actually released :)
You know.. marketing talk vs real deal experience. It might be the same as marketed, it might not be...

I too am very interested in the new player. As a former subscriber to their cloud service, this may convince me to "sign up" again at least on a trial basis. Allowing cloud subscribers to download only those instruments desired is great. BUT I would love for a future like that of Orchestral Tools where individual instruments can actually be purchased.

I too am very interested in the new player. As a former subscriber to their cloud service, this may convince me to "sign up" again at least on a trial basis. Allowing cloud subscribers to download only those instruments desired is great. BUT I would love for a future like that of Orchestral Tools where individual instruments can actually be purchased.
Cloud is interesting to me. I usually don't like subscriptions, but I'm considering it as it would be a cost effective way to get HOOPUS to see if I like it. Then buy it when the inevitable price drop happens.

What was your experience?

Sonuscore once announced an exchange platform for animated patches for TOC. However, I never heard anything about it again. This could be interesting for the orchestrator again. However, musicians are apparently only conditionally ready to exchange such own creations.

Theoretically one could earn money with such animated patches by offering them to other musicians for purchase, just as there are third-party libraries for Omnisphere.

I‘m not really a fan of those software orchestrators. Not because of ‘art‘-reasons or something like that. I actually tried things like orchestral patterns and arpeggios in Ableton Live and it works quite well and was fun. But in the end it‘s mostly more work than without. Editing patterns to make variations is a boring and slow task and using patterns in more than two projects is boring too. And it‘s hard to make transitions or tempo and groove changes. And it really gets complicated if there are changes to do or different stem combis... so all the time I used those things in real projects I ended up redoing everything manual to be flexibla again.

They should let you freely edit the sample (dynamics) crossover points and let you edit the scripts, delete and re-order RRs, include some time-stretch algo, make it easy to transfer or copy edits between instances... Usability and editing improvements would be welcome, not really interested in a reskin. What they seem to have added is fine, epsecially if you're not a tweakhead or want some fast presets. Presonally I'd love to have more tools that let you customise and flesh out all the possibilities, if you choose to do so and spend the time. Tools that let you dig deep.

It looks cool!
Did I get it right that the new player is going to to be available to us who are not going to upgrade to HOOPUS? As a free update? (don't wanna start another how expensive is it going to be discussion). I skipped learning how PLAY works because of this, since I got HO Diamond in December.

It looks cool!
Did I get it right that the new player is going to to be available to us who are not going to upgrade to HOOPUS? As a free update? (don't wanna start another how expensive is it going to be discussion). I skipped learning how PLAY works because of this, since I got HO Diamond in December.
Yes. Opus will replace Play and all the libraries will be updated to work with it.

It looks cool!

Yes I was confused by that too. I presume it is a free update for all other libraries. But does that mean that if you don’t buy HOOPUS you will have to use Play for HWO and use OPUS for all your other EW libs?

Or is the OPUS player only available to people who own HOOPUS? can you play HWO on the new OPUS engine without HOOPUS?

About the other libraries being updated to opus engine, Eastwest spoke about an ”upgrade path” when asked about it, and to me that sounds like it’s not free.

Top Bottom