What's new

Opportunity

Dave Clackett

Hello Everyone,

I have been about on these boards for quite some time and have been reading many of the comments and posts and getting a feel of the people here. It is clear there are a considerable amount of very talented people and it is to these I am writing this post to. Here’s a brief overview. I own a MIDI file production company called Hands On MIDI Software Ltd, based in the UK and have been doing so for about the last 15 years. Although still distributed I have formed (along with a new business partner) a new company (TopDots Orchestrations) which is still based firmly in the music business and will be producing and providing (fully licensed by the publishers) product for bands, groups and educational markets worldwide. The products we will involve producing and selling sheet music *and* audio files. It is mainly the audio component of the package that has specifically prompted this post.

The basic requirement for the audio product is to take a pre-existing MIDI file (produced from the either the former Hands On MIDI Software catalogue or new ones yet to be written – not a requirement for the candidate, as this is something already covered) and create an authentic sounding ‘stem’ based product which will be sold separately, and also in combination with sheet music arrangements. Both products to match exactly. To be clear, the music we produce will be covers, mostly mature gigable pop, maybe some show music (musical) at some point in the future but there is no opportunity for any deviation from the original or to include any new creative musical input.

Applicants should be aware we are not interested in producing any type of original material – no matter how good it may be and before you ask, we do not have any interest to act as agents or brokers and any industry connections we have are for the sole use of the company. Sorry, if that comes across as being rather brutal but, I’m saying it as it is – I have always been upfront in my dealings but I’m sure some may ask. Moving on: We are looking for candidates to either head up a small team or to work individually, to fulfill the audio aspect of the company and work with myself, my partner (and Managing Director) plus other interested parties to ensure this company has a long term future.

The successful applicant should have (at least) the following skill set.
(i) A high level of reading music and theory (to degree standard)
(ii) A comprehensive access to VSTi instruments, and whatever audio enhancement plug ins and associated mixing and mastering techniques required to be able to recreate the authentic sound of the original recordings.
(iii) We require the candidate to have a comprehensive working and practical knowledge of producing click tracks and MIDI protocols used in GM level II.
(iv) Having typesetting skills in Sibelius (6) would be an advantage but not necessary.
(v) The ability to produce (in Sibelius) correct TAB (and I am sure there are a few reading guitarists reading this who are nodding in agreement) would also be advantageous but not necessary.
(vi) The ability to play the guitar to professional standard would be an advantage but not necessary.

Location is not an issue but a reliable internet connect able to move substantial size data files to the company cloud will be required.

A clear and precise knowledge of English is required.

more....

We can provide live instruments (all normal instruments [sax, trumpet, trombone, violins etc] as well as vocals (both Lead and group are required) – both Male and Female) from our UK studios if required.

This is a ground up project and remuneration and all other options are open to further discussion.

Here is an opportunity and maybe, there may be someone who feels that this is something that would suit them. Please be aware this is a new business and as such there is a considerable amount of work with no rock solid guarantee of success. I can only reiterate with nearly 40 years making music, plus my companies reputation I feel the diversification from MIDI based product is now a commercial necessity. Whether you liked or hated MIDI files, I care not, but I have always been proud of the quality of the products we produced and when the company was at its optimal we had long term working relationships with Roland, Yamaha, Casio, IBM, Nokia, Disney Corp …. You get the idea – they thought we're okay to partner with.

So I invite you check me out. My name is Dave Clackett. I am Managing Director of Hands On MIDI Software, author of ‘The Handbook of MIDI sequencing’ and now Director and in charge of typesetting for TopDots Orchestrations LLP. I have websites that can be visited which will start to give you an idea of where we/I am going to next. These URLS are. https://www.hands-on-midi.com (www.hands-on-midi.com), https://www.premiermusicalservices.com (www.premiermusicalservices.com) and https://www.premierecordingstudios.com (www.premierecordingstudios.com)

Hiding my email will only give the naysayers fuel (and I am expecting loads) so I can be contacted directly on my real email address of [email protected]. This will not be quick selection and we will take quite a few months to go through the selection process properly and accurately. We need to start somewhere and today’s the day… Let’s see what happens.

More information can be provided as the process moves forward

Thank you for your time. And keep making music whoever you are.

Regards to all.

Dave

more information...

Further to everyone.

I have just responded to a valid question (asked in a private email) which I believe requires a clear public understanding to all.

There will *NEVER* be a situation at any point in time that money will be requested from you for any purposes, for any reason at any time either from the outset or further down the line. The company does not require any financial investment for outside sources. The only financial aspect of this relationship, is that we expect you to provide your own, fully working equipment able to fulfill the work.

Also please be aware (from another response) and it related to the above - but I'm not sure if it deems worthy of a public response, but in the spirit of full and open clarity ...

If you are unable to provide the 'tools of the trade' we will not 'invest' in purchases,repairs or upgrades of any equipment or part thereof that you may feel is required to complete the work.

I'm sure you understand our position.

Regards

Dave

Top Bottom