Opinions Desperately Needed On How To Fix My Mix...

RichiCarter

Hey guys,

I've been getting a bit frustrated really. Essentially I've decided to take a variety of tracks, spanning the past few years, and condense them down into an E.P. The drama is as well that I've recently changed machines and most of the original mixes have been lost, which means I only have the Mastered track now to deal with, which isn't ideal.

However, I'm really struggling to get the mixes to sound how I want them to. The problem I had initially with pretty much every track, was that they sound great when I'm mixing on my Yamaha HS5 monitors, or with headphones. But then when I listen to them in the car (with a Harman & Kardon speaker system), they sound really really boomy and bassy compared to other professionally mixed tracks in the same genre. However, when I try and rectify that problem, the mixes become tinny and have no low end. I know the obvious answer is that "you're cutting too much out of the low-end" but no matter how hard I try, I'm really struggling to find the balance and get a strong low end in the mix without having the rumble and boom to accompany it.

I've tried cutting the sub frequencies (40 Hz and below), and then boosting the bass frequencies slightly (100-200 Hz), I've tried various low shelves on all the frequencies below 200Hz. I've even tried the "Remove Mud," and "Control Low End" presets on Izotope, and I'm still not happy. I'm getting closer but I'm still not there.

I've attached a few of the mixes, and hopefully you guys can give me some pointers on how I can manage this. Some of these sound a lot better than others, so if 1 or more of them sound ok to you guys then please also let me know...

"Ironside" is probably the one I'm most happy with
"Into The Abyss" is lacking in low end, but gets rumble very easily
"Achilles" has a fair bit of rumble on some speakers
"Young Land Pirates" isn't too bad, maybe a tad boomy

Your expertise as ever is greatly appreciated :)

Rich

Greg

Buy the best monitors you can afford imo. Nothing improved my mixes more than upgrading to Focal trio's from Adam A7s.

You also want a dynamic eq or compressor like the Fab filter pro mb on the master bus. A straight eq is going to just delete the low end, you want to tame it at the peaks but leave it alone when its right. You can even automate the pro mb to tame a little more in the epic parts and be a little softer in the intro to keep those hits in control.

Remove all the stereo wideners, add back more bass for sure. That's the main issues. A good tool you can use to learn how to dose frequency areas is Tonal Balance Control from Ozone advanced. It's not free but it's great. The bass heavy setting is a good balance. What this does is show you a curve of the frequency response of your track compared the average of other music out there and it can really help you identify big issues like that.

ryst

www.nathandanielmusic.com
There is a lot variables here. How's the room you're mixing in? Is it well treated or do you have some places where there is too much bass or no bass at all? Or, do you mix in headphones?

Translatability is key so if you can't get a good balance between your car and your room, something is a little off in your room. Plugins can't really fix that.

For referencing other mixes, I always focus on frequency ranges rather than 20h-20k. So for instance, if I'm mixing a track and I'm referencing another track that I want to have a similar sonic balance to, I'll use a multi-band comp (not compressing though) and just solo 20-8hz, for instance. Then the lo mids, then the mids, high mids and so forth. Focusing in on a small frequency range can really reveal where things may be off balanced compared to the reference track. And like Joël said, Tonal Balance Control helps too. I use both methods.