What's new

Opinion on Chris Hein's strings?

al_net77

I have been asked for a good-sounding strings library (both solo and ensemble) that can sound well without too much programming but, when needed, can be great if programmed. I know I'm asking too much :) ... but ...

Anyone can give some opinion on Chris Hein's strings libraries? They seems to sound very well, but demos are always... demos.

If you're asking about the Chris Hein Solo Strings Complete, I like them. Between the extra instrument variations, the "body" settings, and the other tweakable params, they're fairly flexible for sound(s) without having to go too deep programming them (though it sure looks like there are a lot of programming options!)

Haven't programmed them much yet and enjoy just playing them. In general, happy with them. (Side note: depending on your purchase urgency, the upcoming spitfire solo strings sure sound nice to my ears as well!)

I own the solo cello and the sound is really very good, with a lot of articulations.
I agree, and it's really solo cellos, since you get you get two instruments, or four with an expanded version (got it on sale, and I'm not sure how the whole package options work). I don't have any of the other CH strings, but out of what I have Josh Bell is my favorite solo violin and CH Solo Cello (Romantic) is my favorite solo cello.

I agree, and it's really solo cellos, since you get you get two instruments, or four with an expanded version (got it on sale, and I'm not sure how the whole package options work). I don't have any of the other CH strings, but out of what I have Josh Bell is my favorite solo violin and CH Solo Cello (Romantic) is my favorite solo cello.

I on the other hand likes the Italian Violin. Sounds nice. I've recently featured the Italian Violin in one of my works for a theme park in China which requires traditional Malay style music. Loving the Italian Violin.

Are the samples dry? I read about two convolution reverbs, but samples?

Good. Only good words until now. Anyone can post some work apart from official demos?

I took a couple of Trysound sessions on BS yesterday and tried both solo and ensemble.
I will recommend to buy it to who asked for it, very good sound out of the box.

Good. Only good words until now. Anyone can post some work apart from official demos?
Using Hein's Solo Cello and string ensembles. All strings including FX are Hein's. Hence the title.
I had also recently gotten Vikings Metal Expansion from KeepForest, so I thought I'd incorporate them both.
We don't get to hear Hein's strings in this context very often.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/heins-bootyful-strings-mp3.14292/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Hein's Bootyful Strings.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 645
Last edited:

OT - what chamber and/or orchestral/symphonic libraries do you use with JB and CH?

if you do at all.

Using Hein's Solo Cello and string ensembles. All strings including FX are Hein's. Hence the title.
I had also recently gotten Vikings Metal Expansion from KeepForest, so I thought I'd incorporate them both.
We don't get to hear Hein's strings in this context very often.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/heins-bootyful-strings-mp3.14292/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Very nice, thanks :)

OT - what chamber and/or orchestral/symphonic libraries do you use with JB and CH?

if you do at all.
Light & Sound is the only set of chamber strings per se that I have, and think they're great. 8DIO's Adagietto provides a nice compliment to solo strings too IMHO. I have several (perhaps too many) ensemble style orchestral libraries, my favorites of which are the Spitfire Albion series. I also really like Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Ensembles. I'm just a hobbyist, still experimenting, and don't worry about sonic or timbrel compatibility much, but am of the school of thought that you can pass everything though a reverb bus which will, like Lebowski's rug, tie the room together.

Light & Sound is the only set of chamber strings per se that I have, and think they're great. 8DIO's Adagietto provides a nice compliment to solo strings too IMHO. I have several (perhaps too many) ensemble style orchestral libraries, my favorites of which are the Spitfire Albion series. I also really like Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Ensembles. I'm just a hobbyist, still experimenting, and don't worry about sonic or timbrel compatibility much, but am of the school of thought that you can pass everything though a reverb bus which will, like Lebowski's rug, tie the room together.

Adagietto sure is a surprise hit. Fun set.

I nabbed the Hyperion Strings Micro library today.

So much great stuff coming out.

8634.jpg

That BS 2-fer has me itchy.

CH Violin and Cello.
A lot of folks were disappointed that they didn't do the 2-for-1 last holiday season, but now would be a good time to jump on this if you have the money and the need.

If I were rich, I would own ALL of Chris Hein's orchestral libraries, and would not mind having the full strings set, but can neither afford it nor justify it, even with the sale. Between CH Solo Cello and Embertone's Josh Bell + Fischer Viola & Leonid Bass (the two strongest instruments of the ISS bundle IMHO), I am already covered for solo strings well beyond my ability to fully deploy them.

Top Bottom