What's new

Opinion on a recent purchase

Yogevs

I purchased a new Finlayson D-5CE acoustic guitar for £400 - as was recommended by a GuitarGuitar floor person that went according to my budget. I obviously played it and liked the feel and sound of it.

When I got home I searched about it online and learned that Finlayson is actually a GuitarGuitar brand. The guitar is fine but the fact it is an unknown brand kind of makes me worried.

I'm thinking about returning it and switch for a more familiar brand.

What do you think?

If you like the feel of the neck, KEEP IT. It's true that it's an exclusive brand for GuitarGuitar but it's designed and built by Robert Godin in Canada. Nothing wrong with that at all. Music Radar did a review and they liked it a LOT. It's hard to get an acoustic in that price range that has tone AND a neck that feels good. It's really all about that, if you like how it feels in your hand, 90% of the game is over. Some people out there can't stand Taylor guitars. I don't give a rip, for my baseball-mitt hands the Taylor neck is perfect.

Do you like the feel and sound of it? Then screw the brand on it.

I was dead set, DEAD SET on getting a Music Man/Sterling Stingray bass because I love the sound of it. Tried playing it and hated the neck. I went through all the usual suspects of bass brands and ended up liking the combination of an Ibanez bass that was $700 less than the one I walked in intending to buy.

Everyone on the internet swore up and down that Schecters and Ibanez were the best 7-string guitars you could have. When trying out guitars, you know what 7 string came home with me? An Agile Septor. Never heard of them? Neither had I, but it again felt the best and sounded the best in my hands versus the other options.

Moral of the story: use the instrument that is best for you, not the one with the best marketing team.

Why does that worry you? Even if GuitarGuitar goes bankrupt that doesn't affect your guitar. If it feels and sounds good TO YOU there is really nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I hear a chorus of good voices above! Car companies spend gobs of money to soothe recent buyers; I think it's called buyer satisfaction marketing.

Whatever. If it feels good and sounds good, enjoy the experience. Shitty guitars feel and sound that way.

Now, in the future, if you're going to be on stage and preen, you can save up for a sexy guitar, but it may not fit your hands the way this one does. You might be hanging something on your arm you know in your heart you don't like.

Me? Scratch-and-dent American Tele. Not pretty, but we're together, if anyone's asking. Love your guitar for the way it's a part of you.

If it is indeed a Godin made guitar and you like it, keep it. I paid $1K for a Godin Artist Seagull a dozen years ago and it's a lovely sounding guitar that's very playable. While I'm bothered a bit that the guy was pushing a house brand, the fact that it's made by Godin lessens some of that concern.

It was actually over budget. I was planning to spend £250-£350 but ended up spending £400 because I wanted a good guitar. But with the lack of reviews online it's hard to know. And I don't fully trust my feel and ears on this one as I have been away from playing acoustic guitars for years. I worry that even if it feels and sounds good to me now, it is actually not "all that". Not £400 at least...

I also worry that the lack of brand recognition will make it super hard to sell if I do decide to do that in. a few years.

Top Bottom