What's new

Openback headphones

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I've been using a pair of Closed Back Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones for a while now and although I love them (especially for tracking), I'm looking for a pair of Openback headphones. Mainly because wearing closed back can be tiring to wear for long writing sessions. I've fancied a pair of open backs to compliment my closed backs for a while so I've decided between...

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Beyerdynamic 880 Pro
Sennheiser HD650

Curious what your favourite open back headphones are and any opinions on the 3 choices I have decided on?

Jono

Same search here, and top of list is currently 880 Pro ...... after many, many posts, etc.
I hope you get some 'solid' ideas, but also wonder now about 250 or 600 ohm version. I understand impedance, and will be driving with Focusrite I/F. Still not sure what critical issue is with this choice.

Good luck !!

I'm using the 990s (mainly because i got an amazing deal on the "all black" limited edition). People seem to like the 880s better because they are a little "flatter" in terms of sound, but i'm also using the Morphit plug in to correct the bumps in the frequencies, so they work great for me.

I’ve owned the 650s in the past and now use 880s. The main difference is the 650 is dark and thick while the 880 is brighter and more spaced out. I think either headphone will serve you well, especially once you get to know it for mixing.

My vote would go towards a pair of 880s with the Sonarworks plugin, since that’s what I currently use and am very happy.

I've owned a slew of headphones (Senn. HD600, HD650, HD800, Audio Tech. AD2000, Beyer 880, 990, 770 etc etc,..) and IMHO the HD600 or the 650 are the best "tools" out of the bunch.
They both go low enough so you can use them to check the low bass of your mixes against a reference.
The 600 is a little lighter on the bass so it is a little flatter but it's also a little harder to check your bass.
Be aware that both Senn.s need to be stretched out a little (put it around a few books for a few days) so it doesn't smush the stuffings out of yo hayd but after that, they're a joy.
BTW, my daily headphone is the Senn. HD800 which is even better but way more cash.

Just remembered...
If you get a chance, try and listen to the new gen of Focal headphones. They have some that are super $$$ but also a couple under a grand that are supposed to be excellent. I've been out of the game for a while so I haven't heard them.

Last edited:
Shure SRH1840. Not bright like the K701 so your mix sounds bassy. This open back is also not bassy Super unhyped and neutral.

I’m using Sennheiser HD 650/6XX and my mixes on them sound very close to my monitor mixes (Yamaha HS80Ms)

The massdrop deal price ($199) is hard to beat (its on again for next 9 days)

Last edited:
I’ve been on the Grado 500s for quite some time.
They need a good amp.
Painful to use with glasses.
/A

I don't have any experience with the few you've posted about but you might take a look at the AKG-K702. Good stereo imaging, very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. They roll off a touch of bass and sound a little bright as well.

I have the Sennheiser 650HD's and AT MH50's.

I prefer the 650HD + the Sonarworks plugin for recording.

I like the AT MH50's better for playing guitars through my L6 Helix and Kemper.

I'd wait until Sonarworks has a sale and then get the custom calibrated ones from them. It ended up being cheaper than buying anywhere else (sale plus they were offering free worldwide shipping at the time) when I got mine.

From Sennheiser I've only heard the 800's and I didn't find them particularly special and didn't find them comfortable. Way too light and loose. I much prefer the more snug Beyerdynamics.

HD 650 has a reputation (look Audiofanzine comparative tests) of not having enough high end so the sound is closed and therefore difficult to mix with.

Top Bottom