What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Thank you for your response, read it more than once, but it is too basic and there are points that is not really mentioned there, maybe it assumes that you know basic programming skills already...
You are right, I think if you want to go more advanced it would require some JavaScript and CSS knowledge.

You are right, I think if you want to go more advanced it would require some JavaScript and CSS knowledge.
I don't know if this counts as using your generosity, but do you think you can help me with howto create functional widgets INSIDE matrix?

I don't know if this counts as using your generosity, but do you think you can help me with howto create functional widgets INSIDE matrix?
I wish I could help, but I don't really have any coding skills and I have also parked going down the OSC rabbit hole for now. The people on this thread are super helpful, so hopefully someone is able to help you.

I wish I could help, but I don't really have any coding skills and I have also parked going down the OSC rabbit hole for now. The people on this thread are super helpful, so hopefully someone is able to help you.
Many thanks for your time anyways, you are absolutely right, OSC is a rabbit hole, if you are not careful, it turn out to be more of a time waster than a time saver :)

Yup, I’m in the rabbit hole and still digging. Ok I chose the long road with Logic Pro + Osculator + Open stage control + Keyboard master.
I also regret the lack of exemples with O-S-C and limited documentation.

Right now I’m struggling to try getting the label of the pressed button on a switch (no pb with the value)

Sorry to say that, but - in my opinion- on the long run you will have to get acquainted with javascript if you want to accomplish more complex tasks.
You probably know the O-S-C forum. There you can find lots of advice and especially Jean-Emmanuels posts are really helpful.
@Loïc D : What exactly are you trying to do? Does @{button_X.label} help?

I’ll be trying thanks.
For the record, I’m familiar with JS (used to be JS developer years ago) but this implementation is quite tricky ;)

I’ll be trying thanks.
For the record, I’m familiar with JS (used to be JS developer years ago) but this implementation is quite tricky ;)
Sorry, I did not mean you. I was referring to the posts of Markrs and Hisham. I agree the O-S-C implementation is tricky. Especially for me, since I grew up with procedural languages and even after years the ‚everything is an object‘ approach drives me nuts. ;)

I'm overjoyed that I have got dynamic buttons working. I had a look at @Mihkel Zilmer files and followed his comments.

Well, I have it mostly working. When I load Mihkel's OSC template and with Cubase it switches different buttons on OSC according to the selected track in Cubase.

When I applied this to my own template, at first it only showed the labels and buttons for the arts. Now, I have the art labels showing but all other labels don't hide when I click on other tracks in Cubase. Just wondering what I am missing?

@jononotbono I think I remember having encountered this problem too...
It's hard to answer you without seeing the code. It may be a conflict in the module.export section.
My template is almost finished, if time is on my side I will post it soon.

Thanks man. I'm actually;ly having another difficulty now. I am using JXL Brass as a testing library and I am getting errors. Am I right in thinking that the tremolo plugin from Cubase is a bit ropey? Missing values at times? I keep getting errors and have checked over and over that I have each track using correct rate and spacial settings to go through port and CC values and I have to keep turning some onto the same value as the previous track for the buttons to change to the correct layouts in OSC. Just wondering if I don't know about something unknown here (and I very aware most problems are usually human error so it's likely something I have already done with my OSC is interfering with things).

Regarding my above comment of the Tremolo plugin. I have now finally got 15 Instrument tracks working and for an example I changed the names of the buttons (all of JXLBrass patches have the same Arts in them so I just wrote a different combo of arts purely to see if the buttons would change).

Note the screen shot below and the values of the Tremolo plugin. Some have the same values. They go from left to right up to 15 Instruments worth...

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 23.04.56.png

And now check out the screen of the js file. The fact the Tremolo plugin is using same values and in the js file I have written out 15 lines of code to show the arts per 15 instrument tracks. There must be a logical explanation for this?

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 23.05.09.png

Without having the values exact, it's going to make for some confusing times down the line when consulting the Oracle. Aka The Google Spreadsheet with every Control Change, Prog Change, Midi Note and CC assignments, Generic Remote Lists etc.

Last edited:
@jononotbono
I also noticed that Tremolo was sometimes a little fancy! The solution I found is to skip a value when there is a bug.
I use the tremolo system for instrument tracks, mainly synthesizers (zebra, serum, omnisphere...) which allows me to load a graphical interface in OSC with the plugins controls.
I kept the var instrument part only for the kontakt/VI tracks.
My Tremolo setup is a bit different, I use Spatial as Bank ( args[1] )& and Rate as ctrl number (
args[2])
sample.png

@jononotbono
I also noticed that Tremolo was sometimes a little fancy! The solution I found is to skip a value when there is a bug.
I use the tremolo system for instrument tracks, mainly synthesizers (zebra, serum, omnisphere...) which allows me to load a graphical interface in OSC with the plugins controls.
I kept the var instrument part only for the kontakt/VI tracks.
My Tremolo setup is a bit different, I use Spatial as Bank ( args[1] )& and Rate as ctrl number (
args[2])
sample.png
Amazing. I don't suppose you know how I can add some text that is literally just for displaying the selected Track name on OSC when I click on a track in Cubase? It would be lovely to be instantly see the track names. I noticed you made a panel doing this but I also noticed it was just for Midi Tracks.

Currently I'm not using VEPro. I will again but I'm just using 1 computer at the minute.

This is exactly what I've been planning on doing since realising the power of OSC. Having a contextual window whereby you click on a track and specific buttons, knobs, mics, controls for specific Sample libraries and Synths etc. It's gotta be the slickest way. And also probably the most horrendously deep amount of time figuring out! 😂

Got another question and my scripting knowledge is pathetic hence why I'm asking.

This CSS code...

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 00.54.48.png

This script is for each button. I decided I wanted to not have the labels in Lowercase so I changed it to

text-transform:uppercase

I hit enter/return and all of a sudden, all 55 buttons show and then when I click on selected tracks, the art names change but the buttons don't disappear (all 55 remain showing) and even when a track has two arts and let's say the previously clicked track has 10 arts, the 10 arts labels remain visible and the 2 arts labels change. So there must be a reason for that but unfortunately I don't know why.

I’m hAving a problem with coloring button. I created a red button but at some point in process when I touch it it goes black and stays black. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I’m hAving a problem with coloring button. I created a red button but at some point in process when I touch it it goes black and stays black. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Change the button type to tap or push. You most likely have it set to toggle (which means the switch will stay switched on or off until you press it again). Or change the colour of both states so you can’t tell. Totally depends on context!

Thank you Jono for sharing these video's on the OSC project. It's inspiring to see you making so much progress.

Brian Rivlin's video on OSC was an eye opener for me too. It got me started together with this thread. The almost endless possibilities with OSC really makes a dream of mine come true. And yes, it definitely also doubles as a luring rabbit hole.

I made some progress myself by setting up a seperate little computer (NUC) dedicated to OSC. After a long time of searching for solutions for the (un)focus problem I realized it can only reasonable be done with OSC running on another machine.

At first I found the learning curve for OSC almost too steep. So many details which weren't clear, also because I never learned how to code in javascript. Analyzing examples from others has helped tremendously. Therefore I think it would be highly appreciated if you are willing to share some parts of your OSC template.

There's a few things I wonder about. Does nearly every button in your template correspond to a different command in Cubase? All 2000+ of them? For example, the 12x2 transpose buttons, are they connected to 24 almost similar yet seperate Cubase commands? It would be great if somehow a variable in OSC could be transmitted to Cubase's Logical Editor. That way 24 different key commands may be reduced to a single command plus a parameter (the amount to transpose). I'm not sure if that can conveniently be done on the side of Cubase.

I'm still trying to get my head around how to use global variables without the need to delve deeply into Javascript.

Last edited:
Top Bottom