What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Hey

I have no particular alternative in mind to help you sorry. Mihkel method is by far the most common and maybe the best (as mine doesn't work with "unsynced" mixconsole option or if you use the quick control.)

Hi @Jorge Vargas
I did a fresh installation of Mojave on my machine.
I'm trying to make OSC work again but your tutorial video is no longer online on youtube. Could you put it back online or write the instructions for Mac here?

Solved!
I download the last version of python (python 3.8.5) then installed rtmidi with pip3 in terminal :
pip3 install python-rtmidi
PS: pip is installed by default in python 3 so don't need to install it separately.

Hey

I have no particular alternative in mind to help you sorry. Mihkel method is by far the most common and maybe the best (as mine doesn't work with "unsynced" mixconsole option or if you use the quick control.)

I’ve finally got a workaround to get Mihkel’s method to work on instrument tracks.

it’s a bit clumsy but try to follow:

- Set up a midi track duplicate of each of your instrument tracks (which you can then hide/collapse in a folder as they are not connected to an instrument )
- set the midi in of the new midi track to receive from the midi out of the instrument track.
- You then put the Transformer midi send on this midi track configured to send a cc value that you’ve chosen in your OSC custom module to identify the instrument track.

Then, when you select the instrument track, the Generic remote triggers Cubase to fire out the cc to OSC which the duly responds. That response goes into and then through the instrument track, out of the midi out of it’s VSTi and into the duplicate midi track. This midi track then sends (via the transformer in the normal way) the ccvalue back to OSC.

This method will work I think with any instrument in the instrument rack that has its midi out turned on.

Hope that’s clear?!

Bwnefit of this is that it doesn’t use quick controls so I’ve now also started looking at a bank of fader templates in OSC for the various instruments quick controls.

Hi guys and sorry for the may "silly" questions but:

I used and tried Lemur/Cubase/Samsung Tablet with Mihkel's method before but I want to start from scratch building a brand new template on a single machine using VE Pro.

- What would you recommend in order to get all implemented in the end? - meaning how would you setup the template in VE Pro and Cubase from scratch that it makes most sense using OSC (as a articulation and visibility tool)
- Is there a specific approach on setting up expression maps in combination with OSC

As I really want to start from scratch (I know this will take just some "little" time:grin:) it would be very cool to follow along by a step by step guide/video or something. Maybe someone else is just starting a new template as well and we could all work together in building the base for future templates.

Please: of course I know that in the end it all comes down to each individuals taste or workflow - but as I want to start from 0 it makes sense to gather all of your way of working, setups etc.

Thanks in advance and cheers:2thumbs:

Hi guys and sorry for the may "silly" questions but:

I used and tried Lemur/Cubase/Samsung Tablet with Mihkel's method before but I want to start from scratch building a brand new template on a single machine using VE Pro.

- What would you recommend in order to get all implemented in the end? - meaning how would you setup the template in VE Pro and Cubase from scratch that it makes most sense using OSC (as a articulation and visibility tool)
- Is there a specific approach on setting up expression maps in combination with OSC

As I really want to start from scratch (I know this will take just some "little" time:grin:) it would be very cool to follow along by a step by step guide/video or something. Maybe someone else is just starting a new template as well and we could all work together in building the base for future templates.

Please: of course I know that in the end it all comes down to each individuals taste or workflow - but as I want to start from 0 it makes sense to gather all of your way of working, setups etc.

Thanks in advance and cheers:2thumbs:

My advice would be to learn a bit of JavaScript and also some fundimental items basic concepts of coding - like how to populate arrays etc using simple loops etc. You can then get the custom module working.

Equally - I would question why you want to start from zip? There are enough emtemplates and examples out there already that you can “borrow” from to create your own.
Otherwise you’ll end up spending all your time building a touch pad system, and no time composing...

I'm a newbie so please forgive me.

I installed Python as directed. The last version was 3.9

I ran CDM as administrator and went to where the folder is

I ran the command pip install python-midi and nothing happens

I know I'm missing something but I don't know what. I've attached a picture.

Would appreciate your help

Attachments

• Capture_2020_10_24_20_20_59_950.png
    Capture_2020_10_24_20_20_59_950.png
    14 KB · Views: 15
  • Capture_2020_10_24_20_25_00_557.png
    Capture_2020_10_24_20_25_00_557.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 13
I do apologise if I've missed a glaringly obvious part of the process - but could somebody point me to the direction of connecting OSC to Cubase? I have created a Generic Remote in Cubase, but I'm unsure how to connect the two and assign my buttons correctly.

Thanks in advance!

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.45.45.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.45.45.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.45.32.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.45.32.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 25
I do apologise if I've missed a glaringly obvious part of the process - but could somebody point me to the direction of connecting OSC to Cubase? I have created a Generic Remote in Cubase, but I'm unsure how to connect the two and assign my buttons correctly.

Thanks in advance!

J

You just have to click on "add" then on "learn" and press the button on your O-S-C template. Cubase should automatically recognize the incoming midi message.

I'm not sure about your issue. It seems PIP is not installed on your computer. Be sure to install/update it.

when you install python you need to make sure the check box is ticked adding python to PATH:

- make sure to check the option "Add Python 3.x to PATH"

Hi guys,

the very new beta version 1.70 comes with a very nice feature ;)

1605084593263.png
I will update the tutorial as soon as it's out of beta.

Oh, by the way, I'm glad to welcome Trevor Morris in the world of O-S-C and Dell Touchscreen

Last edited:
I just tried my first steps in OSC and it seems very promising! - My first tests did all work in combination with cubase. The only thing I cannot figure out is a remote control via tablet - even if I put the related ip address it doesn't find anything. Whereas if I open the ip on my computer it shows the OSC Interface.

Edit: My tablet (Android) is within the same network as the computer and I'm using Chrome.

Do you maybe know what could be the issue here? Without my tablet the whole project would be useless :grin:

I just tried my first steps in OSC and it seems very promising! - My first tests did all work in combination with cubase. The only thing I cannot figure out is a remote control via tablet - even if I put the related ip address it doesn't find anything. Whereas if I open the ip on my computer it shows the OSC Interface.

Edit: My tablet (Android) is within the same network as the computer and I'm using Chrome.

Do you maybe know what could be the issue here? Without my tablet the whole project would be useless :grin:

My advice would be to head over to

The OSC Forum

Post your query in there - the developer is very active in the forum and as Ling as you explain your problem clearly he’ll no doubt have you fixed in no time.

My advice would be to head over to

The OSC Forum

Post your query in there - the developer is very active in the forum and as Ling as you explain your problem clearly he’ll no doubt have you fixed in no time.
Thank you for your advice! I will head over and ask the question there.

Edit: I've figured it out - I had a second wlan router inbetween which made it impossible to cennect within the same network. All good now :2thumbs:

Last edited:
Quick question - What if i turn off any of my 2 midi keyboards, and want to start only OSC. In my case, port changes so i need to edit midi values in OSC. I am using loopbackMIDI instead of python rtmidi. Is that a difference? Thanks

@ Sub3OneDay

I think I understand the concept how the miditrack thing works for controllers but it's a bit complicated and I'm having problems with midi loops.
Could you share here some screenshot to help us better understand.

OSC is great but we are sorely lacking in tutorials or examples.

Thanks
Z

EDIT /SOLVED and understood!

On Mac
I made change on OSC midisetup, using OSC own port virtualization with midictrl:virtual.
(midictrl is the port I declared in IAC midi configuration )
On midi track I put transormer to extract desired ctrl with insert exclusive mode.
Send it to "midi_in" which I believe was created by the declaration of the virtual port in OSC.
Now the fader works smoothly both directions.

I hope it can help some of you who like me are not developers.

Last edited:
Is it possible that with version 1.7.3 the custom Module from @Mihkel Zilmer doesn't work correct anymore? All the buttons work and i can switch expression maps in Cubase, but there's no more text (articulations) in OSC. Does somebody have a solution?
Thanks

I have not tried the update yet as everything works well with my current version.

Maybe it has to do something with this new line from the 1.7.3.
modal/button: prevent error when label is updated

Go back to 1.7.2 in the meantime, and ask Jean-Emmanuel on the official website.

Is it possible that with version 1.7.3 the custom Module from @Mihkel Zilmer doesn't work correct anymore? All the buttons work and i can switch expression maps in Cubase, but there's no more text (articulations) in OSC. Does somebody have a solution?
Thanks

Can't comment on this, except that I am still on version 1.2 where everything works for me.
I did read recently that some changes were made to custom module structure, so perhaps that broke something.

Unfortunately I don't have any free time to look at this any time soon.. If someone else does, feel free to post an updated version!

Top Bottom