What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

@Jorge Vargas
Step by step I do tests to understand how it works on Mac, your tutorial was very helpfull.
I have strange behaviors and I'm a bit confused with the syntax and midi ports routing ... but it's a good challenge!
Did you tried to use Mihkel Zilmer's templates and Grizzlymv's one? Does it work for you?

@Jorge Vargas
Step by step I do tests to understand how it works on Mac, your tutorial was very helpfull.
I have strange behaviors and I'm a bit confused with the syntax and midi ports routing ... but it's a good challenge!
Did you tried to use Mihkel Zilmer's templates and Grizzlymv's one? Does it work for you?

No, I didn't, I'm making a custom template for using with MainStage

Hey all,

I was wondering how I'd go about setting up / scripting something like the video below in Open Stage Control?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Hey all,

I was wondering how I'd go about setting up / scripting something like the video below in Open Stage Control?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Populate articulations based on the selected track? Of course. I'm also doing it that way (module imported in O-S-C, heavily modified but the base one was from @Mihkel Zilmer)
See page 7 of this thread to get more information about it and there is also an official doc page about custom modules.

Populate articulations based on the selected track? Of course. I'm also doing it that way (module imported in O-S-C, heavily modified but the base one was from @Mihkel Zilmer)
See page 7 of this thread to get more information about it and there is also an official doc page about custom modules.
Thank you for then links and info @Manaberry! will look more into this and see how to go about receiving CC 32 and CC0 at the same time based on the PC Button Number.

@Mihkel Zilmer could your script be edited in a way that receives MIDI CC 32 and CC 0 at the same time and auto-populate articulations?

Thank you for then links and info @Manaberry! will look more into this and see how to go about receiving CC 32 and CC0 at the same time based on the PC Button Number.

@Mihkel Zilmer could your script be edited in a way that receives MIDI CC 32 and CC 0 at the same time and auto-populate articulations?

I wrote the script to receive multiple CCs - CC117 to CC127, each containing 128 unique articulation lists. Bringing the total potential limit of instruments to just over 1400. Essentially the CC number defines which bank is being pulled from, and the CC value will determine which list will get chosen from that bank. Adjusting this to use a combination of just 2 CCs instead of my CC+value should not be a problem, as the basic principle of using a combination of two CCs to define the instrument is already in there.

I've successfully configured an 800 MHz touchscreen cash register terminal to run Open Stage Control from a network. The GUI lags pretty hard because the system is so slow, but it actually works.

Very nice achievement! I can confirm that Open Stage Control UI require some power to run smoothly, but I'm pretty impressed that you transformed a cash register terminal to a touch screen for music production! Feel free to share a picture, I'm very curious about it :P

Again, well done!

Very nice achievement! I can confirm that Open Stage Control UI require some power to run smoothly, but I'm pretty impressed that you transformed a cash register terminal to a touch screen for music production! Feel free to share a picture, I'm very curious about it :P

Again, well done!
osc terminal.jpg
It's running Linux from a USB flash drive, although now that I have things working it might be worth repartitioning the internal drive and installing there. The hardest part of setup was configuring the touchscreen -- Linux had working drivers, but the cursor initially didn't map to the touchscreen properly so I had to muck around in the config files a bit. (And yes, that's a credit card reader on the right side :rofl:)

osc terminal.jpg
It's running Linux from a USB flash drive, although now that I have things working it might be worth repartitioning the internal drive and installing there. The hardest part of setup was configuring the touchscreen -- Linux had working drivers, but the cursor initially didn't map to the touchscreen properly so I had to muck around in the config files a bit. (And yes, that's a credit card reader on the right side :rofl:)

You blew my mind friend! you can be the next president if you want XD.

-musitian: Hey pmcrockett, why do these instruments stoped working?
-pmcrockett: oh yes, you need to transfer some money to my account.
-musitian: but I don't have cash and the bank is far away.
-pmcrokett: don't worry, you can use my credit card reader on the right side of my OSC interface.

It's so funny because usually don't think to use some gear like this but we have a lot of tools in our hands that we don't use and that is one of the reason why we invest a lot of money buying tools of all kinds.

Hello, everybody,

I'm also working on an OSC project at the moment. It runs on a Hans-G 22" touch, controls Cubase and replaces my Lemur Ipad interface.

As Merton said "on the shoulders of giants", my project contains many ideas from this thread, like @Manaberry Design as a starting point. The Selector popup is a replica of the selector concept in C_Brains, which I liked to use on the Ipad. There is still a lot to do, when it is finished I will make it available here. Best regards Joe

71800D40-1239-4DD5-BAA7-092E28F512BC.png 3B3FB13A-6F2B-4A29-9DD1-EFF54265FA3B.png 51F32BA4-6AD8-4D59-B3D7-178867153A4C.png

Best regards Joe

Nice work Joe! Looks clean and clear.
Feel free to share a pic of your whole setup. It would be cool to see how everything look! (even if you don't stand a chance against the cash register terminal)

Top Bottom