What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Another update: it works fine if I have just a single entry in the Generic Remote. Like this:
Generic Remote - only 1 entry.png
But as soon as I add another entry for CC118, CC117 stops working while CC118 now works. So it's always the last entry in that list, that works. I guess that's working as intended but how to circumvent it? I tried creating a separate Generic Remote for every CC, but no luck there.

I think the issue here is the way I wrote the custom module. It's really waiting to receive only one CC in the range of 117-125 at one time while your Generic Remote sends all 4 together. The reason you always see CC120 value 1 displayed is because it is the last one sent to OSC.

A re-write of some of the code would be necessary to get it to work with sending multiple CCs at once, but in that case I could see the Tremolo plugin method working quite well. Sending two CCs at once could mean one is a bank number and the other instrument number. So 128x128 instruments - all you ever need. But yes, you would need to change the custom module for this kind of behaviour.

I might have a bit of time to look into it later this week, but can't make any promises!

Ok guys, the post has been updated. I'm cleaning the spreadsheet to add some base64 gems to it! (I'm gonna create Cubase most used tools icon later this spring.)

Last edited:
I think the issue here is the way I wrote the custom module. It's really waiting to receive only one CC in the range of 117-125 at one time while your Generic Remote sends all 4 together. The reason you always see CC120 value 1 displayed is because it is the last one sent to OSC.

A re-write of some of the code would be necessary to get it to work with sending multiple CCs at once, but in that case I could see the Tremolo plugin method working quite well. Sending two CCs at once could mean one is a bank number and the other instrument number. So 128x128 instruments - all you ever need. But yes, you would need to change the custom module for this kind of behaviour.

I might have a bit of time to look into it later this week, but can't make any promises!
That would be beyond fantastic, but it really is no problem at all if you don't find the time, you already helped so much...
I'll also try to take a look at it with my non-existent coding knowledge. :grin:

Ok I tried but unfortunately failed completely. :grin: I'm also a bit lost on how to get a better idea of how things work.

What would I actually have to learn to understand the OSC documentation (which right now doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever) and be able to write a custom module after my own preferences? Right now I mainly want to make instrument tracks work and then expand on it by also adding sliders and knobs that change with the track selection, for mic positions and other instrument
Do I 'just' have to learn javascript to learn how to do that and actually understand the contents of the documentation? Any pointers are appreciated! :)

BTW please don't take this as a subliminal 'please do it for me' request, I'm absolutely willing to put in the time and energy to learn and do this myself!

Can OSC send an actual text command like "123" or only through using a 3rd party like BOME Midi Translator?

If the latter, can you send a sequence of of CC commands through OSC so it can spell things with BOME?

For example ask OSC with one button to send a sequence of

"CC14, Channel 16, Value 01" then
"CC14, Channel 16, Value 02" then
"CC14, Channel 16, Value 03".

To have BOME spell out for example "123". Is this possible?

OSC (Software) handle scripts. So yes, you can write a script that send a sequence of MIDI or OSC messages.

3rd party software is needed when you want to map specific action on midi messages. It will be useful to trigger actions on your computer that is not part of OSC/MIDI environment (such as keystroke for instance.)

example of BOME action:
"Keydown: shift" when incoming trigger midi message is: BF 0D 69 (ch 16, #13, 105)

You can also execute file, script, timer, etc in BOME.

Last edited:
Open Stage Control looks really great and I am always fond of open source alternatives to commercial software! It would also be great to be able to use windows 10 touchscreens vs Lemur which ties the use to iOS and restricted Android devices ... However, I heavily rely on some features of Lemur, which is primarily to dynamicaly change the properties of control objects via Midi or OSC!
E.g., you can hide/show a fader, change the text of a label, change the color of an object, ... with a script added to your patch that reacts on Midi/OSC input.
Is that supported for Open Stage Control?

I have setup this up on my machine again and I am running into some issues with regards to the 'midi router settings'.

You explain that if you are only using one machine you need loopmidi, so I have that, but I do not see where you explain how to configure it for one machine :/
Or does this not need any data input into the OSC Control Panel for a single host?

I am running the server on my Windows 10 DAW machine and want to configure it for Cubase.
I will access the server through my DELL 5285 2in1 tablet through the browser

I also have a iConnectMIDI4+ which would be great to setup with this, however since that would use rtpmidi I am not sure what process that would entail...

Any help would be appreciated

@Shad0wLandsUK
Usually with loopmidi you just have to create the midi port that will be used by both OSC and Cubase. Because it's on the same computer, there is no need to create a "session". It's already there by default I would say.
For dual computer settings (you have to create a session on each and connect them together in order to send midi accross the network). Loopmidi doesn't provide such a feature.

For single computer, you just have to use the local IP of your computer in OSC. It should work.

Is there anyway to auto-size to fit IPAD or different screens?

If can't be done via OSC maybe using CSS can shrink or help fit the ipad? Basically, trying to go from a "demo template" instead of building from scratch. So wondering if I can shrink it to fit since alot of the templates are huge! on the IPAD.

Hello Guys, I know that this post is about windows but I have a problem in my Mac, I followed step by step the documentation in OSC Site but I didn't get any solution.

If I launch OSC using node, when I ask for the midi list, it doesn't show any information, if I launch the Mac OS version, it launch some error.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.20.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.21.04 PM.png

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process: Uncaught Exception: Error: spawn python3 ENOENT at exports._errnoException (util.js:1024:11) at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:192:19) at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:374:16) at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:138:11) at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)

Using the terminal I tried a lot of commands to change and install python and some else like rtmidi, I used brew to change something about the python version and nothing work, I have installed the last python's version and it show it.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.29.42 PM.png

I have formatted my Mac a lot of times, downloaded severals python versions, I tried to run with node running from sources, and building from sources and..... nothing works, the worst thing is that I couldn't find any post with the same situation using MAC, can somebody help me?

Hi Jorge,
I have exactly the same error message (mac os 10.11.5).
Is there a python master on mac here that could help us install properly?

@Jorge Vargas It seems you've got exactly the same error as someone else on Windows. Usually this issue occurs if you have footprint of a previous version of Python (32 or 64 bit)
I suggest you to clean all pythons presence and reinstall the good one properly.

@Jorge Vargas It seems you've got exactly the same error as someone else on Windows. Usually this issue occurs if you have footprint of a previous version of Python (32 or 64 bit)
I suggest you to clean all pythons presence and reinstall the good one properly.

I tried to install several versions of Python but not one work, which one is the correct one? because I download 64 version the last one.

Hi Jorge,
I have exactly the same error message (mac os 10.11.5).
Is there a python master on mac here that could help us install properly?

Hi brother, I was asking a lot of thinks to the developer and he found an error, he teach me some tips, I will to make a tutorial doing all from scratch.

I saw your post on the community board. On windows, cleaning the registry and reinstalling python does fix the problem. But yes, on mac it's not that easy it seems. Glad you fixed your issue @Jorge Vargas !

Top Bottom