Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Discussion in 'Workflow Tips & DIYs' started by Manaberry, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Mihkel Zilmer

Mihkel Zilmer Senior Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Estonia
    I think the issue here is the way I wrote the custom module. It's really waiting to receive only one CC in the range of 117-125 at one time while your Generic Remote sends all 4 together. The reason you always see CC120 value 1 displayed is because it is the last one sent to OSC.

A re-write of some of the code would be necessary to get it to work with sending multiple CCs at once, but in that case I could see the Tremolo plugin method working quite well. Sending two CCs at once could mean one is a bank number and the other instrument number. So 128x128 instruments - all you ever need. But yes, you would need to change the custom module for this kind of behaviour.

I might have a bit of time to look into it later this week, but can't make any promises!

lucor likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Manaberry

Manaberry Active Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Ok guys, the post has been updated. I'm cleaning the spreadsheet to add some base64 gems to it! (I'm gonna create Cubase most used tools icon later this spring.)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    lucor likes this.
  3. lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    That would be beyond fantastic, but it really is no problem at all if you don't find the time, you already helped so much...
    I'll also try to take a look at it with my non-existent coding knowledge. :grin:

4. lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    Ok I tried but unfortunately failed completely. :grin: I'm also a bit lost on how to get a better idea of how things work.

What would I actually have to learn to understand the OSC documentation (which right now doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever) and be able to write a custom module after my own preferences? Right now I mainly want to make instrument tracks work and then expand on it by also adding sliders and knobs that change with the track selection, for mic positions and other instrument
    Do I 'just' have to learn javascript to learn how to do that and actually understand the contents of the documentation? Any pointers are appreciated! :)

BTW please don't take this as a subliminal 'please do it for me' request, I'm absolutely willing to put in the time and energy to learn and do this myself!

5. DMDComposer

DMDComposer Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Can OSC send an actual text command like "123" or only through using a 3rd party like BOME Midi Translator?

If the latter, can you send a sequence of of CC commands through OSC so it can spell things with BOME?

For example ask OSC with one button to send a sequence of

"CC14, Channel 16, Value 01" then
    "CC14, Channel 16, Value 02" then
    "CC14, Channel 16, Value 03".

To have BOME spell out for example "123". Is this possible?

6. OP
    OP
    Manaberry

Manaberry Active Member

Apr 9, 2018
    OSC (Software) handle scripts. So yes, you can write a script that send a sequence of MIDI or OSC messages.

3rd party software is needed when you want to map specific action on midi messages. It will be useful to trigger actions on your computer that is not part of OSC/MIDI environment (such as keystroke for instance.)

example of BOME action:
    You can also execute file, script, timer, etc in BOME.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    DMDComposer likes this.
  7. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Open Stage Control looks really great and I am always fond of open source alternatives to commercial software! It would also be great to be able to use windows 10 touchscreens vs Lemur which ties the use to iOS and restricted Android devices ... However, I heavily rely on some features of Lemur, which is primarily to dynamicaly change the properties of control objects via Midi or OSC!
    E.g., you can hide/show a fader, change the text of a label, change the color of an object, ... with a script added to your patch that reacts on Midi/OSC input.
    Is that supported for Open Stage Control?