Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Discussion in 'Workflow Tips & DIYs' started by Manaberry, Jun 19, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Manaberry

Manaberry Active Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Thanks for your input! I'm gonna try to create a visual concept later this month.

@Grizzlymv Sadly yes, we do have limits because of the DAW :<

@vewilya Hey! I have no idea how Logic works. If there is anything like the "Generic remote" editor of Cubase, you should be able to use OSC easily as soon as your Mac and your daw receive the midi signal from the network.

vewilya likes this.
  2. vewilya

vewilya Active Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Alright. Thx. I’ll do some research...

3. Luke Davoll

Luke Davoll New Member

May 30, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I have an idea for a widget. I've looked around in the documentation, but if it's there, I couldn't find it. Perhaps @Manaberry you could have a word with the creator if you guys think it'd be a good idea. My idea is this (hope this comes across in text ok)

We probably don't need to display every quantise/grid division on our touch screens. Or every marker. Or countless other things. I've seen the dropdown widget, and the modal window, but there's too much tapping/clicking. However, imagine a button that when held down brings up a grid of hidden buttons to the left and/or right or above or below with these grid values for example...but ONLY while the button is held down. Then you drag your finger over to the value, release and then the message is sent. Could be a great way of saving screen real estate. Think of it like an expanding button. I've seen something similar on lemur templates. What are your thoughts?

Manaberry likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Manaberry

Manaberry Active Member

Apr 9, 2018
    You refer to a commo rose system. Very smart indeed, I love that idea. I created a feature ticket, maybe the dev will enjoy this idea too!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Luke Davoll likes this.
  5. Grizzlymv

Grizzlymv Active Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Canada
    Nice idea. Although, the modal window should be able to give you an almost equivalent today. That's what I did on my template. I mean, you can place it to appear just below,beside or above a button on screen. Personally, I trust more the behavior of 2 taps on 2 buttons rather than sliding over a few button and hoping none will be activated by accident. ;)

One cool thing I'd like to see though, is to have multiple actions with dropdown. So, each items in the dropdown would have it's own OSC section, so for instance, using the example above, instead of modal window, a simple drowpdown could be used and each entry would send its own info to the DAW. ;)

6. Luke Davoll

Luke Davoll New Member

May 30, 2016
    Awesome, the developer is up for it. I read through your ticket, I'm not sure about the circular idea, but we'll see what he comes up with. My idea was more or less like this (2 minute mark) :

Hope I'm allowed to post that here. In no way am I suggesting ripping off Michael's intellectual property. Just wondering if that functionality is possible in osc.

Also, I read through the comments on github re: articulation switching. Would it be possible to draft together a custom script and see how that would work? I have really very little experience with scripting/coding but I love diving in and learning!

Peace.

7. Grizzlymv

Grizzlymv Active Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Canada
    seeing it in action make a lot more sense. I do like it. My concerns are still there though, as to ensure the touch screen won't lose the touch while sliding and therefore select the wrong thing. But otherwise, quick as shown the in the video, it's indeed more functional than the drop-down or modal. Hopefully though, each item could have it's own set of OSC value. But I second that idea! :)

Luke Davoll likes this.