What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

I have not tried the update yet as everything works well with my current version.

Maybe it has to do something with this new line from the 1.7.3.

Go back to 1.7.2 in the meantime, and ask Jean-Emmanuel on the official website.

Thanks @Manaberry

I tried with 1.7.2. Still no luck. Going back to 1.2 and try again.

I don't have any problem with version 1.5 on my end. Once I have a bit more time, I will look into it. But it's a matter of weeks sadly.

I’ve finally got a workaround to get Mihkel’s method to work on instrument tracks.

it’s a bit clumsy but try to follow:

- Set up a midi track duplicate of each of your instrument tracks (which you can then hide/collapse in a folder as they are not connected to an instrument )
- set the midi in of the new midi track to receive from the midi out of the instrument track.
- You then put the Transformer midi send on this midi track configured to send a cc value that you’ve chosen in your OSC custom module to identify the instrument track.

Then, when you select the instrument track, the Generic remote triggers Cubase to fire out the cc to OSC which the duly responds. That response goes into and then through the instrument track, out of the midi out of it’s VSTi and into the duplicate midi track. This midi track then sends (via the transformer in the normal way) the ccvalue back to OSC.

This method will work I think with any instrument in the instrument rack that has its midi out turned on.

Hope that’s clear?!

Bwnefit of this is that it doesn’t use quick controls so I’ve now also started looking at a bank of fader templates in OSC for the various instruments quick controls.

This sounds really great. Did you test this? For me it didnt work. Any hints?

Thanks

Hello The Man,
How did you create different panels for each VST/Kontakt instance? Like, one for Strings, one for Brass, etc? (cf. Your video)

Thx

Can Open Stage Control hide, show, reposition and change properties of its control elements? E.g., can you send it Midi or OSC messages to change the text labels of some buttons like that is possible with Lemur?

Last edited:
Thanks community for not replying me on my question :)

You are very welcome. It's always a pleasure to not respond. We don't get any wage for helping people in our free time, so there is no obligation to answer everyone.
We owe you nothing. It would be better to post again with a nice message instead of this wacky one.
Sometimes we don't pay attention to every message, especially after 12 hours of work. We are humans. Not robots.

To get back on your problem, I've never experienced something like your issue. Maybe you should go for a virtual MIDI software that starts as a service on your system and then, creates the needed port before the system recognizes your hardware MIDI devices on startup. So you should be able to get the same MIDI ports for everything on every session. Try the last version of OSC, there is no need for python-rt-midi anymore. You would need just rtpmidi to create virtual port.

Hello The Man,
How did you create different panels for each VST/Kontakt instance? Like, one for Strings, one for Brass, etc? (cf. Your video)

Thx
With a simple MIDI call back script. Check previous pages, the whole process is explained ;)

Can Open Stage Control hide, show, reposition and change properties of its control elements? E.g., can you send it Midi or OSC messages to change the text labeled of some buttons like that is possible with Lemur?

Do you mean the "text labeled"? Almost everything within Open Stage Control can be gathered, manipulated, modified. You can share data between widgets, change text based on a custom script, and so on. For instance, I just use a simple show/hide CSS code based on the state of another widget.
If the value is 0, it displays panel 1. If 1, panel 2, etc.

You have more info here, in the doc: https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net/docs/widgets/general-mechanics/

I'm very glad I found this, fortunately the Lemur website is down so I was desperately looking for alternatives. Seems I may have saved myself 35 bucks and found something that's better overall.

I'm very glad I found this, fortunately the Lemur website is down so I was desperately looking for alternatives. Seems I may have saved myself 35 bucks and found something that's better overall.
Welcome!

Feel free to try version 1.7.3 directly! You should not have to follow the part with Python and rtmidi in the tutorial. If it does work perfectly without this step, I would love to hear it! As it confirms that I can remove this part for good from the tutorial.

Enjoy!

Welcome!

Feel free to try version 1.7.3 directly! You should not have to follow the part with Python and rtmidi in the tutorial. If it does work perfectly without this step, I would love to hear it! As it confirms that I can remove this part for good from the tutorial.

Enjoy!
That's good to know, thanks!
Hopefully I'll give it a go today. My ultimate goal with it is to have it switch to a specific page on the ipad when I press a key shortcut while having a track selected in Reaper. I don't necessarily want it to follow along selection like in your video on the first post but I want the same idea but selecting CC sliders and knobs instead. It would also be nice to have it with an X/Y pad that can show DearVRs positioning and a few settings, is what I'm after there and I'd imagine it can also be used for Blender and CAD programs.
I'd also like the articulation management window and basic DAW controls like you have on the first post on my other android tablet. I definitely have a bit of work ahead of me for sure.

Everything seems good to go, I've got it running on another computer successfully.
One thing about the tutorial that threw me off and it might be a leftover from a previous version but it instructs you to type " --midi toVIControl:6,7 " but in the field you just type " toVIControl:6,7 " to get it to work. Now it's time for the fun part :cool:

Superb! Great job, and very clever way to use OSC!

I will update the tutorial, thanks for letting me know.

Finally got around to updating my OSC layout. It was a mess of buttons added one on top of another as needs were being fulfilled, with little efficiency. OSC was still on version 0.4. I had a break of work of two days and fixed it up, taking advantage of now including Dorico in my workflow to replace Sibelius.

I also switched Bome's MIDI translator for MidiKey2Key, which works beautifully too, and is free as well as lightweight.

Now my touch screen is super clean, single page per piece of software, one for Reaper, one for Dorico. It looks empty on my browser and, consequently, on these screenshots. But it fills the touchscreen nicely. I couldn't take a good picture because my touchscreen is kinda glossy.

Super happy with this setup. Thanks everybody for the inspiration and helpful tips throughout the thread!

ReaperPanel.PNG DoricoPanel.PNG

Sure. I was just thinking at revisiting a bit the screen layout as I find it less functional to have the expression maps loaded in a pop-up. But anyway, I'll post it as it is now, and post the update later on.

But for now, if you want to run OSC on the same Windows machine who run Cubase, and interact from a tablet (in my case a Surface Pro), here's the instructions and files. This is assuming you already have the pre-requisites installed from @Manaberry document in the first post. I may revisit my pdf file to include those steps in the future. Instructions should be similar if you run it on Mac.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much for sharing Grizzlymv, it works like a charm! Beautiful Template. I will try to change the expression maps to make it work with the Spitfire libraries. By the way as UACC system use, Midi channel + fixed CC32 + Velocity number to change between articulations, but i'm missing how to insert the velocity. Sorry but i'm new to OSC. Could you help me please? Thanks in advance.

UACC.PNG

If you are using a button, look for button>on/off fields. That's where you insert those values.

It would be so cool to have OSC do keyboard shortcuts, it would be the complete package. But that GIT is 6 months old, and no activity since then. It is my understanding that Jean is/was not interested in adding that functionality and only cared about OSC, even considered MIDI to be an exception.

As a side note, I use a software called MIDIKey2Key that works beautifully to fulfill that function in case anyone's interested.

Top Bottom