What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

Jonathan Moray

Professional Procrastinator
Hello, everybody,

I'm also working on an OSC project at the moment. It runs on a Hans-G 22" touch, controls Cubase and replaces my Lemur Ipad interface.

As Merton said "on the shoulders of giants", my project contains many ideas from this thread, like @Manaberry Design as a starting point. The Selector popup is a replica of the selector concept in C_Brains, which I liked to use on the Ipad. There is still a lot to do, when it is finished I will make it available here. Best regards Joe

View attachment 22409View attachment 22410View attachment 22408

Best regards Joe
This is great, Joe. I've been eyeing a Hanns-G 22" for a while now. Was first planing to use an Android Box hooked up to it and run Lemur with C_Brains but then I found Open Stage Control and got a change of heart. I set up Open Stage Control and used it with my phone a few months ago and it worked great. The only thing I missed was C_Brains, and especially the selector part. So this is really good news. Looking forward to seeing more.

While I'm here I also would like to thank @Manaberry for his dedication to this thread and his help in setting up OSC. I wouldn't have been able to do it without his tutorial, thanks.

JoeHidden

Yeah, I like the Hanns-G. Not too small not too big. Suits perfect on my desk. Regarding to “selector”. It works but there is still a lot to do. I implemented 2/2 (8th, Triplets) and 4/4 (16th, Triplets) yet. The other rhythms are still on my todo list... 🤓

Jonathan Moray

Professional Procrastinator
Yeah, I like the Hanns-G. Not too small not too big. Suits perfect on my desk. Regarding to “selector”. It works but there is still a lot to do. I implemented 2/2 (8th, Triplets) and 4/4 (16th, Triplets) yet. The other rhythms are still on my todo list... 🤓
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I didn't want to have a 27" screen in front of me because that would literally give me no room for my computer keyboard. Also the price for the Hanns-G is really nice. I've never used the brand before but this might just solidify my decision and I might order one next week.

The GUI for your note selector looks very sleek. Does it work the same way that C_Brains does? Where you can just click the note on GUI?

OP
Manaberry

Manaberry

While I'm here I also would like to thank @Manaberry for his dedication to this thread and his help in setting up OSC. I wouldn't have been able to do it without his tutorial, thanks.
Pleased to see you are enjoying this software and my tutorial! Jean-Emmanuel's work is stunning, I'm just spreading the word about his amazing app!

Last edited:

Luke Davoll

Hi Joe, there are a few of us here who use c_brains. Perhaps you could share a part of your project and we could all work on implementing c_brains together?? Divide up the work and get it happening quicker? Just a thought...

JoeHidden

Hi everybody,

I put the selector and the velocity control modal in a handy package with a few aditional informations. If i forgot something - please let me know. #HappyCoding

Joe

EDIT: Attachment removed - See Post from 2019-09-15

Last edited:

DMDComposer

Hi everybody,

I put the selector and the velocity control modal in a handy package with a few aditional informations. If i forgot something - please let me know. #HappyCoding

Joe
Thanks for sharing Joe. This is actually incredible work. Congrats!

Maybe it's just on my end, but the titles of the selectors like "Select." or "Vel." are not showing when everything is connected? It seems to function in Cubase fine with selecting and velocities, but for some reason the titles don't like to appear.

DMDComposer

Hi,

I was referring to the labels in your select and vel modal selectors.

1568387393997.png

After messing with your color selector I got them to appear. I'm not sure why my OSC wasn't showing them with the default colors you had though. Still trying to debug.

It seems that on my server-side it doesn't like operating with the On/Off active status color switch. Trying to figure out why. I think it's my error and not yours haha.

Here is the server side of the same image

1568387530886.png

JoeHidden

Hmm That looks a bit ... "special" :) I try to avoid hard coded colors as much as possible. Maybe there is a problem with the theme of osc itself. Try to set the dark theme on the osc server window. Maybe that helps to figure it out.

JoeHidden

@DMDComposer Ok, there is something wrong with with the combination external client and color. I tried the template on my ipad and had the same color issue here. My Hanns-G is directly connected to my working horse (which is also running OSC). So in my case, Server and Client is on the same machine.

DMDComposer

@JoeHidden
Thank you for your suggestions. That's very interesting. Let me try the switching to dark theme in the OSC window server. However, the cutting/paste works until it reloads/resaves. Strange...

Edit: Dark theme did not help.

I wonder why cutting and pasting it seems to fix it until it reloads? Can it be the order in which it is being called?

JoeHidden

Ok, found it. I updated the rar file and added my statefile. Please download it again. Then load the state file and it should work. Seems that the color variable are not initializied on the client without the state file.

DMDComposer

Hmm, everytime I reload it bugs out and I have to reload state. This is not an end of the world situation. But just keeping you updated. I'm not fussy about having to reload state everytime I make a new edit/save. lol

Edit: Your new update removing all color variables fixed it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom