What's new

OODs!!!

Craig Sharmat

Outside Octave Dissonances or what those of most systems call minor 9ths. The bane of many an EIS students existence but i thought today why not harness them. They are good against pedals, ostinatos, ground motives, used as leading tones, sometimes Distant Relations (Book 11) and with isolated structures. You can also use them if you want if you mark it but we get so used to trying to avoid them or fix them (which often yield an unexpected but pleasing results). Today I went how bout I just use them as blatant as possible. Now I am not the first to do so, you will find OOD's in many composers scores and Randy Newman makes great use of them so i thought lets try an exercise. I start of course with an OOD, pure and simple and proceed to add them wherever possible. Sometimes the OOD is actually and anticipation into the next chord rung early, an effective way to use it. Sometimes it is a leading tone I choose not to resolve. Sometimes it's an OOD but I add the -7 after the fact. Anyway here is the experiment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygvfyp7wlymwlv9/Unbearable Thoughts.m4a?dl=0

Last edited:

Farkle

Jeez, Craig, I just finished pounding the no OOD rule into Mat, and the first thing I hear is this! :)

This shaped up to be quite a nice dissonant cue, shades of Bartok meets Hermann in it! I like how you embrace the opening intervallic dissonance, really nice work on that. And the harmonic structures really become rich and developed. Thank you for sharing! I can definitely hear the 9,7 structures near the end.

Dammit, now I have to 'splain this cue to Mat! :)

Mike

OP
Craig Sharmat

Craig Sharmat

Thanks Mike, I explain most of my reasoning above and I know this makes it difficult for students but to totally eliminate a usable sound because we focus on a certain rule seems counter productive which is why I did the exercise...if the student recognizes the dissonance and marks it then at least he/she gets it, if they let it go then they may be unaware it is happening. Again this is a fairly dissonant cue and at least initially we focus on getting things a bit more inside even though we know it can go out in a hurry.

Last edited:

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
Great piece. To me it’s all about the emotion the piece evokes, and this gave me so many different things as the piece progressed. Perhaps I’m too married to seeing music with picture (doing mostly film and TV writing), but put this on a scene where someone comes home hearing strange noises in their apartment... :). This is why I never discount a motif, phrase, or off the beaten trail dissonance. They all seem to come in handy sooner or later (in my line of work). Congrats on a cool piece.

Top Bottom