What's new

Online midi files/projects/templates for analyse

PeterN

⋆☾
So its about 4 years ago, I gathered plenty midi files to study them, there was one website with John Williams and it was interesting to analyse Williams via midi. For example.

Yesterday and today I thought there is probably more out there now, as 4 years have passed, and Im talking orchestral midi mockups here. Now, without diving too deep, (while working 40 hours a week regular job, time is limited), I did a sweep and it was basically just rubbish that came on the hook. I searched ready midi templates for Logic Pro X. I was particularly interested to analyse midi regarding orchestral drums, glock and runs. Basically you get this epic crap on the hook, which I consider worthless.

Is this really the case that we are still in this position? Or is google search not showing the interesting websites? Would anyone mind to share if you know any, that you find resourceful No need to be freebies, payment is fine if quality is fine.

If you follow Lorne Balfe on social media, he’s been recently posting several cubase projects from his scores to freely download. Marco Beltrami has also posted many of his score PDFs over the years.

Thanks.

Also, anyone here, please feel free to recommend your own website if you sell templates for orchestral midi mockups. Or pm is fine too. Personally (sorry if this sounds too personal) Im particularly interested in Williams style, Disneystyle, "creative" types of mockups, full of orchestral colour. I know the Williams are available, but maybe something else out there?

Any specific sample libraries, or does that not matter to you? (The MIDI does differ a bit between certain libraries).
I recently just launched a site dedicated to what you describe: Synthestration
As of this writing there are only 2 projects available, but there are a number of upcoming projects in the pipeline, including what you might call "Disneystyle" pieces, with a focus on traditional orchestration. In fact, you'll probably see one being announced in the coming days. :)

I notice you mentioned Logic Pro. The upcoming projects will be for Cubase by default, but I recently ordered a Mac specifically to translate these projects to Logic. Unfortunately there is still a little over a week before the Mac is due to arrive, but you should be seeing some Logic projects shortly after that.

EDIT: A 3rd product has been added. The project file for Benny Oschmann's official demo for The Orchestra!

Last edited:
Musescore has lots of orchestral scores in xml/midi, some of them quite well done... xml has the advantage to give readable parts.
EDIT: just been there, they have embraced the subscription model, not free anymore.

Any specific sample libraries, or does that not matter to you? (The MIDI does differ a bit between certain libraries).
As of this writing there are only 2 projects available, but there are a number of upcoming projects in the pipeline, including what you might call "Disneystyle" pieces, with a focus on traditional orchestration. In fact, you'll probably see one being announced in the coming days. :)

I notice you mentioned Logic Pro. The upcoming projects will be for Cubase by default, but I recently ordered a Mac specifically to translate these projects to Logic. Unfortunately there is still a little over a week before the Mac is due to arrive, but you should be seeing some Logic projects shortly after that.

Thanks. I will take a closer look asap. Sounds promising. You know, this idea, I cant believe it still so sparse and difficult to find, being 2020, anyone can make a stable income if they do this properly. I mean orchestra, theres plenty EDM out there, and its just depressing to browse through it. For orchestral, Cubase and Logic Pro X would be enough to start with. You know, I wrote this idea 3 years back or so, and got responses "libraries are so different", well f that, I can try soaring strings, albion, or what the f ever, just say if its staccato or legato etc.

Due to limited time I cant check your website today, but this week for sure. If its even basic properly done, and prices are resonable, you can be sure you got a customer.

Musescore has lots of orchestral scores in xml/midi, some of them quite well done... xml has the advantage to give readable parts.
EDIT: just been there, they have embraced the subscription model, not free anymore.

Thanks. They dont need to give it free. Perfectly reasonable to charge for a good job. Subsciptions is another thing, now during this pandemic, I tend to avoid subscriptions. Some of you may know that esp. March, April and May many offices were closed, and it can happen again. You want to unsubscribe but nobody replies.

Reactions: Rob
If you follow Lorne Balfe on social media, he’s been recently posting several cubase projects from his scores to freely download. Marco Beltrami has also posted many of his score PDFs over the years.
Could you provide the hotlinks to Lorne Balfe's cubase projects- I can't seem to find them.
Tnx.

Best, Bob

I don't know if it's the kind of thing you are looking for, but I have found the work posted by Ashton Gleckman, with full mockups and Cubase projects, highly educative and entertaining, with regard to film scores.

So just now I went to check Lorne Balfes homepage, Youtube channel and Twitter, but no Cubase projects were to be found. Would you mind checking if they are still up and give a further hint which direction to go sniffing?

Now I havent got this far yet, but I assume there is a way to open Cubase projects in Logic Pro X. Being midi, maybe theres a way around it. Or is there?

Sorry my blunt reply earlier, being busy with work, composing music, having chickens, growing garden, fishing etc, sometimes theres just 5 minutes to throw out a reply.

Yea, this is a great start. How come theres not more of this out there. The composition called Symphonic Explorations got my green light. You have support available too which seems great.

It says Symphonic Explorations is available for Logic Pro X, would you mind clarifying the download, where have you uploaded them? Just curiosity, I will buy it anyway.

Is this the page you are referring to https://musescore.org/en ...?

So one needs to install musescore and then you can download midi files to it? It says it is free, but is there some surprise fee coming when installed?

I don't know if it's the kind of thing you are looking for, but I have found the work posted by Ashton Gleckman, with full mockups and Cubase projects, highly educative and entertaining, with regard to film scores.

I remember checking them 2 years ago, but did not get much out of them. A lot of tracks and doubling of instruments to create this massive wall of zimm sound. Now I think Ashton is great for doing this sharing, and thanks mate if you stumble past here, I just didnt find the creativity I was looking for there. Maybe Im wrong, I recall checking two projects, will take another look one day.

I bought it, the file was on your website and Paypal was payment method. All went smoothly. The download (at least for Europe) is very slow, maybe you want to check that. Anyway, the file was small so not a big deal, but just FYI.

Anyway good job! Will open the file later, so far all good. Just wish there was more of this out there.

Is this the page you are referring to https://musescore.org/en ...?

So one needs to install musescore and then you can download midi files to it? It says it is free, but is there some surprise fee coming when installed?

I´m pretty sure he meant this page:

Reactions: Rob
I´m pretty sure he meant this page:
Yes that's the one. But something has changed lately, there was no requirement to download the app before. And to be able to download scores as pdf, xml, midi etc it looks like you need to subscribe. Not a thing I like, though I can understand they want to raise some cash...

Top Bottom