What's new

Once Great, Now Unavailable Libraries?

I find there Spitfire retirements just rather bizarre and unfortunate...
I don't even know if it makes sense commercially since the library could still be sold in 20 years, especially when it's timeless well recorded textural stuff.

I think its ultimately bad for business. Maybe remastering and applying the samples to a more modern engine if possible is great, but you risk turning people off with outdated products. If an outdated product was the first one you bought from a developer, and their cost, it might end up being the last one you buy from them. I get this feeling constantly with EastWest. If not for their composer cloud, I doubt I'd ever buy another library from them because their engine is so outdated compared to everyone else's. Honestly it's very rarely that I pull from EW anymore and I'm always considering dropping my subscription. If old recordings can be salvaged, great. If not, then retirement of old libraries is the best way to maintain quality and innovation as a key point in one's brand.

Albion Legacy. One is fine (more than that for a noob), but upon buying it I realized how little more I'd be using it than Legacy. Just a few extra, select patches.

Just me.

From Gigasampler - Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass. I still listen to some jazz stuff I did with it and in my opinion, there's still not a single Acoustic jazz bass VSTi or sample library that can touch it.

Lol I feel old...does anyone even remember that library? Geez...it's been ages since I used gigasampler.

From Gigasampler - Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass. I still listen to some jazz stuff I did with it and in my opinion, there's still not a single Acoustic jazz bass VSTi or sample library that can touch it.

Lol I feel old...does anyone even remember that library? Geez...it's been ages since I used gigasampler.
Speaking of the Larry Seyer bass, isn't it featured in this old TV ditty by the lovely Jeff Beal?

The engineer of EWSO is Prof Keith O Johnson. Credited in the description.
I'm actually not a big fan of the EWSO sound. Very plasticy, with shrill hi-end and the strangest horns I ever heard.
Some of it I love, but mostly due to the performance (nice emotive vibrato on some of the strings) or character of the instrument (harp!).
Some of the other patches I love I mostly use in trailer music/electro-heavy scores interestingly haha. Despite Proj Johnson being a classical music engineer.
I find the sound extremely modern to an extent that I can only hear it in extremely modern productions.

I always looked for who did the recordings, as I find the samples sounding very natural.
Strange horns? I find some of the 6 horn patches like the stacc or also their crescendos excellent!

However, I still miss 9Volt Taikos and speaking of EW: the Kontakt patches... Using their player isn't that cool.

I'd love to get the Sonic Implant Strings for the EXS. Does someone owns it and wants to sell?

Westgate. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Beautifully recorded samples. And not just the wind and Brass, but the timpanis as well.

I think the Westgate libraries are like that, just recorded really really well. I wish someone would take those samples, which are quite extensive, and reworked them into a modern scripted Library.

Just to mention it:

https://vi-control.net/community/th...tgate-modular-series-crossfade-patches.19760/

Groove Agent (2).
Still have GA2 installed in an old version of Cubase. Great way of getting grooves up quick and easy and add fills.

I was so disappointed when I got GA4 and found it was totally different and didn't even have the kits from 2.

What I would like to see re-issued is Joe Barresi's Evil Drums for Superior Drummer. It seems to have dropped off the face of the world.

Well that must be impressive for a sample-based vsti then.

The Gofriller, like the Garritan Strad, were among the first of the phase alignment sample-based products on the market. Created primarily by Giorgio Tommasini, they are still among the most incredible instruments I've every used. I still have them as well as all the SWAM strings, which are purely modeled. While the SWAM instruments have more player customization features, I still almost always go back to my Gofriller when I really want something to sound like a cello. I can play it with lots of feeling in one pass without having to use dozens of inspiration-killing keyswitches. As much as I wanted the SWAM strings to be as good, they stop short for my ears.

Good news is that Giorgio, who is also the genius behind all the Sample Modeling Brass (stunning), is hard at work on new strings, using the sample-based/modeling approach. I can say for certain that these are going to be truly incredible instruments.

the full Garritan Orchestral Strings. If someone wants to sell for a reasonable Price, please let me know.

I think its ultimately bad for business. Maybe remastering and applying the samples to a more modern engine if possible is great, but you risk turning people off with outdated products. If an outdated product was the first one you bought from a developer, and their cost, it might end up being the last one you buy from them. I get this feeling constantly with EastWest. If not for their composer cloud, I doubt I'd ever buy another library from them because their engine is so outdated compared to everyone else's. Honestly it's very rarely that I pull from EW anymore and I'm always considering dropping my subscription. If old recordings can be salvaged, great. If not, then retirement of old libraries is the best way to maintain quality and innovation as a key point in one's brand.
I'd say a library should never be pulled no matter how outdated. There can still be some great stuff to use. EWSO is massively outdated but I would never want to miss some of the patches...
I'd rather make a "legacy" section on the page than removing them. Then it's clear that these are older not up to modern standards libraries but some people will still be interested and they'll keep making some money. Excellent business.
I also don't think some of these Spitfire libraries can be called outdated. Albion Original outdated? I've only heard demos and walkthroughs but what I heard I actually like more than what I heard from Albion One. I've also heard many who have both preferring the original.

I'd say a library should never be pulled no matter how outdated. There can still be some great stuff to use. EWSO is massively outdated but I would never want to miss some of the patches...
I'd rather make a "legacy" section on the page than removing them.

Totally! I’m still discovering some gems in the EW Anniversary collection.

Top Bottom