What's new

Once Great, Now Unavailable Libraries?

chillbot

Sock Muppet
From Gigasampler - Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass. I still listen to some jazz stuff I did with it and in my opinion, there's still not a single Acoustic jazz bass VSTi or sample library that can touch it.

Lol I feel old...does anyone even remember that library? Geez...it's been ages since I used gigasampler
Still use it with G-Player.

Still use sonic implants as well, though albion one has since replaced the spiccatos for me (similar dry tone) still haven't found anything to replace the pizz after all these years.

Robo Rivard

I'm still using Dausenkunz's Early Patches and Banchetto Musicale, as well as Northstar's Ancient World... Before Eduardo Tarilonte, we had very little choice.

Niah2

Sonic Implants are still great. Love the espressivo patches and the effects are really well thought out. You can really build something with them.

chocobitz825

I'd say a library should never be pulled no matter how outdated. There can still be some great stuff to use. EWSO is massively outdated but I would never want to miss some of the patches...
I'd rather make a "legacy" section on the page than removing them. Then it's clear that these are older not up to modern standards libraries but some people will still be interested and they'll keep making some money. Excellent business.
I also don't think some of these Spitfire libraries can be called outdated. Albion Original outdated? I've only heard demos and walkthroughs but what I heard I actually like more than what I heard from Albion One. I've also heard many who have both preferring the original.

Does that make sense logistically? I get the feeling around always wanting to be able to access great libraries. This thread is no doubt proof that there were some great VIs I never knew about and missed out on..but still, does this make sense from a business perspective?

Even if you created a separate legacy section on the website to keep these libraries available, then what? You can announce that you no longer support them, but that doesn't mean you don't get continued inquiries about bugs and problems that come up as the library gets older, but the platforms continue to change. At some point, that legacy library becomes a point of frustration for users and can impact the perceived quality of your brand. Maybe not devastating, but not really ideal. Then how do you price these legacy libraries? If they diminish in value, and fewer people buy them over time, does the revenue justify the work and resources for hosting and distributing it? Then how do you deal with royalties? Is it worth it to send out royalties from these libraries that don't generate much in revenue anymore? It just seems like more of a hassle than its worth.

I would hope that if the idea is to maintain old libraries, they do so in a way that is already in practice. 8DIO updates the engines, cut some of the fat and rereleases them. As does Spitfire. Orchestral Tools just packaged the legacy woodwinds with the new one and sold them together. Any of these seem like fine compromises to me.

Guffy

TASCAM/Nemesys Gigastudio Piano (of which I got one of the last copies on DVD).
Funny how different tastes we can have.. :P

I really like the brass in QLSO, even the horns! (Have you tried the power sustains?)

I'm not extremely fond of Nemesys gigapiano though. It sounds quite good tonewise but it's jumpy and uneven across the dynamics. It shows its age. I think theres plenty of piano samples on the market that sounds just as good if not better while being highly playable with more mixing options etc (that goes for QLSO as well but i still find quite a few of the patches useful to this day)

David Cuny

Summer, we hardly knew ye.
the full Garritan Orchestral Strings. If someone wants to sell for a reasonable Price, please let me know.
GPO 5 lists the addition of "Garritan Orchestral Strings", so it might be included in that package. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but you can check the feature page for a listing of what it consists of.

That said, when I tried using the GPO5 version of the GOS solo strings, I found a bunch of funky samples and bad loop points that make them unusable. I raised a ticket with MakeMusic three years ago, who acknowledged the problem and forwarded the ticket to a black hole.:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Wolf68

I should compose something.
GPO 5 lists the addition of "Garritan Orchestral Strings", so it might be included in that package. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but you can check the feature page for a listing of what it consists of.

That said, when I tried using the GPO5 version of the GOS solo strings, I found a bunch of funky samples and bad loop points that make them unusable. I raised a ticket with MakeMusic three years ago, who acknowledged the problem and forwarded the ticket to a black hole.:emoji_rolling_eyes:
yup it is said to include some content of the GOS, but not in the same depth.

alanb

From Gigasampler - Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass. I still listen to some jazz stuff I did with it and in my opinion, there's still not a single Acoustic jazz bass VSTi or sample library that can touch it.

Lol I feel old...does anyone even remember that library? Geez...it's been ages since I used gigasampler.

I remember both it and LS' Acoustic Drums extremely fondly. They were two of my all-time favorite libraries.

The LS Acoustic Bass was one of the main libraries that I used for beta-testing GS4/GVI4 (RIP) — with it, I caught at least a couple of helpful things that were fixed before TASCAM deep-sixed everything... :shocked::crying::mad:

- - - - -

But that was then . . . and now I have so many rock/jazz/metal pieces that I created using LS' Acoustic Drums, however-many years ago, and I would love to rework/revise them , but I've tried manually remapping the extremely complex MIDI parts to my current custom SD3 Drum Maps (in Cubendo) and that has been such a vast exercise in frustration that I've given up every time.

I have SoundLib's G-Player and Chicken System's Sampler Tools, and both provide potentially-viable options for working with the original .gig files (although I can't remember whether LSAD only uses .gsp files, or whether individual single-kit .gig files are accessible), but I'm probably going to just wait impatiently until I can replace my current A/V computer, at which time I'll repurpose the old one to be a permanent GS4 / GVI4 machine* . . .

. . . either I'll be able to cobble the two computers together using the old FX-MAX programs (which the devs graciously left available online when they shut their doors a million years ago), or maybe I can Frankenstein them together via some kind of bare-bones Dante setup, or . . . ? ? ?

* [ assuming, of course that their dedicated dongle hasn't failed from protracted non-use ]

alanb

"Tsaiko" - an ancient taiko library that has a great, murky sound reminiscent of Clinton Shorter's score for "District 9". I still use those samples from time to time.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The company that made Tsaiko merged with Nine Volt Audio, ca. 2008.

I'm pretty sure that Tsaiko became Nine Volt Audio's "Beat Aesthetic: Taiko Edition," which I got a few years after that . . . and I wonder whether its identical to, or different from (in which case, how?), the original 'Tsaiko' library.

Does anyone know how the two products compare?

Is @Sean Beeson still floating around here? He'd probably know.................???

charlieclouser

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The company that made Tsaiko merged with Nine Volt Audio, ca. 2008.

I'm pretty sure that Tsaiko became Nine Volt Audio's "Beat Aesthetic: Taiko Edition," which I got a few years after that . . . and I wonder whether its identical to, or different from (in which case, how?), the original 'Tsaiko' library.

Does anyone know how the two products compare?

Is @Sean Beeson still floating around here? He'd probably know.................???
Oh, that's interesting - I did not know that. I believe I have Beat Aesthetic:Taiko, so I will load up both of them and see what's what. I remember that I made a cut-down version of Tsaiko with only the mic positions I liked, and converted it to EXS way back when, so maybe that's why I didn't notice any similarity right off the bat.

Farkle

Sean Beeson was heavily involved in the production of the original Tsaiko, I believe they recorded it in his area (maybe one of the concert halls at his local uni)?

I still use Tsaiko all the time. It's very naturally recorded, and has three mic positions. If you have the time to build some midi stacks, it's highly usable.

Mike

Farkle

Oh, and BTW, Dan Dean Ensemble Brass and Sonic Implants Brass are my two go to brass libs in my current orch template. Honestly, as good (or better) than anything out there. If you're cool with reprogramming them.

Only just now has Adventure Brass started making its' way into my template; and that's because it does have that vintage studio sound, and it's so damn FUN to play.

Mike

Geocranium

Maybe they moved the samples into their newer library "Sharine," but to my knowledge, Wavesfactory doesn't sell their W-Shaker anymore, which is my favorite go-to little shaker. This was back when their libraries were all $10 each.

There are a whole lot of things on their deprecated page that it looks like they've scrapped: https://www.wavesfactory.com/product-category/deprecated/

Some of them were repurposed into better products they sell now, but a lot were simply trashed and aren't available anymore.

I also have their old marxophone and honkey-tonk piano.

Top Bottom