Once Great, Now Unavailable Libraries?

David Cuny

Summer, we hardly knew ye.
I don't think so. The SWAM Cello is modeled. The Garritan Cello was sample-based.
That's my understanding as well. SWAM strings use digital waveguides to physically model string response - basically digital delays simulating impulses moving along the strings.

AllanH

[...]

The very first Miroslav Vitous String Ensembles was quite good too, certainly for its day. (I have the EMU E6400 version, which I later translated for Logic's EXS.) And if used wisely, it still qualifies for a place in a mock-up made today, I find.
[...]
Every so often I go back to IK's Miroslav I and II and attempt to make them more workable. The tone is generally excellent, but the programming especially at it relates to dynamics, is difficult to make work for me.

Q @re-peat : do you know if the original Miroslav Vitous String Ens. is the same or share recordings with Miroslav I from IK?

Last edited:
OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

Isn't the current Sonivox Orchestral Companion series basically their Sonic Implants offering in a different package?
Based on what I heard in some examples it's either extremely limited compared to Sonic Implants (sample wise) or it has nothing to do with it.

lux

Prime sound session strings, very old library. I think I remember that the official demos didn't convince me but these by @dcoscina changed my mind http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/27602-Prime-Sounds-Session-Strings-Excellent!

I still use the sustains from time to time.
yeah, I used those for such a long time layered with Sonic Implants Sordinos.

Some of the freebies at the time were great as well, like the classic Gtown percussion samples, the original Project Sam free instruments and the fun R.A.W. Ethnic collection by Herman Witkam

robgb

I was young once
Well that must be impressive for a sample-based vsti then.
This sounds absolutely nothing like the SWAM Cello. But there are hybrid, sample-based instruments that use modeling for playability.

From Emusician.com:

"That's why I was eager to learn about the technology behind the Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin and Gofriller Solo Cello libraries. Though these libraries are based on samples of real instruments, advanced signal processing is used to give electronic musicians greater freedom of expression and to reproduce details of string performance that would be difficult or impossible to achieve using standard sample-playback techniques."

robgb

I was young once
Based on what I heard in some examples it's either extremely limited compared to Sonic Implants (sample wise) or it has nothing to do with it.
Interesting. I heard they were one and the same, although with fewer articulations. When Guy Michelmore used them in a tutorial video he mentioned that they were very old but still sounded wonderful. But maybe I'm wrong.

Two already mentioned:
Wizoo Darbuka. Well recorded and programmed Arabic percussion loop library. Clever GUI.

NI Spektral Delay. Peter Max and orange sunshine in a plug-in. Instant psychedelia
Yes, Wizoo! I still have Darbuka and Latigo stored away somewhere!

I needed Latigo for a number of Latin Jazz and Afro-Cuban projects years ago, and it certainly got some use!

Mike Fox

Truse Strike Tension was really cool. It was basically a consolidated version of TS2 where the samples were mangled, distorted, etc.

Hanu_H

Interesting. I heard they were one and the same, although with fewer articulations. When Guy Michelmore used them in a tutorial video he mentioned that they were very old but still sounded wonderful. But maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah, it's same samples but Sonivox version is more limited, no different dynamic layers in sustains, less articulations, etc. If they would start selling them for Kontakt once more with better scripting and simulated legato, it would make a really nice starter orchestra. The sound of the samples is still beautiful.