What's new

On the Fence About Spitfire Studio Woodwinds

Could anyone with SStW and CSS let me know how you get these libraries to work together?

The vln1 along with the piccolo are beautiful together. And the Alto flute as well as the a3 flutes sound warm against the vln1 in the lower register. I haven't tried this until you mentioned it, but really nice :) I do have the pro version of the winds, however, I just used the default mic which is the same as the core. I'm sure the other mics would add a different level of control and tone if needed...something I need to mess with now. LOL

EDIT: I prefer CSS with the Winds over SF Chamber...it sounds much warmer...but it all depends of course on what you are going for.

The vln1 along with the piccolo are beautiful together. And the Alto flute as well as the a3 flutes sound warm against the vln1 in the lower register. I haven't tried this until you mentioned it, but really nice :) I do have the pro version of the winds, however, I just used the default mic which is the same as the core. I'm sure the other mics would add a different level of control and tone if needed...something I need to mess with now. LOL

EDIT: I prefer CSS with the Winds over SF Chamber...it sounds much warmer...but it all depends of course on what you are going for.

I was hoping someone would have a good mic combination and/ or could help me with levels, send levels etc.

Personally dislike the tred1 sound and the small space it creates.

I was hoping someone would have a good mic combination and/ or could help me with levels, send levels etc.

You asked if they worked well together. I used them in unison though, to double the strings and sounds great. If you are looking for counter melody against the strings, I’m sure they’d also work well, however with one mic position, you are limited. You might want to try bringing the ambient slider to almost dry/close then use a good convolution to add some nice space to match that of CSS.

You asked if they worked well together. I used them in unison though, to double the strings and sounds great. If you are looking for counter melody against the strings, I’m sure they’d also work well, however with one mic position, you are limited. You might want to try bringing the ambient slider to almost dry/close then use a good convolution to add some nice space to match that of CSS.

Hi Jake,

Even with the reverb all the way down I hear that boxy, small room sound. Don't love it. I'd love to hear some examples if you'd like to post them.

I swear I saw a video of Christian Henson showing how he makes them sound like they are in a bigger room. He puts on a delay and a reverb to give the impression of the first bounce back and the actual space sound. Can't find it though.

Hi Jake,

Even with the reverb all the way down I hear that boxy, small room sound. Don't love it. I'd love to hear some examples if you'd like to post them.

I just got them and haven’t had a chance to fully write anything. I just did a quick test for you to see if they blend. But I would strongly consider getting the pro version. But I’ve me a day or so and I’ll see if I can do something for you. You want unison lines? Let me know what you are looking for.

I swear I saw a video of Christian Henson showing how he makes them sound like they are in a bigger room. He puts on a delay and a reverb to give the impression of the first bounce back and the actual space sound. Can't find it though.

I'm not sure this is the video you mentioned, but I watched it this weekend and went back to play with SStW and SStB with much larger-sounding reverbs (I'm using VSS3) and it sounded pretty nice. Also, if you have the Pro version, I'd recommend checking out the stereo mixes, too. You get two different sounds in those patches, and since I've just been noodling around with these libraries, they're very helpful for exploring the sonority and playability without getting bogged down mixing multiple mics.

I just got them and haven’t had a chance to fully write anything. I just did a quick test for you to see if they blend. But I would strongly consider getting the pro version. But I’ve me a day or so and I’ll see if I can do something for you. You want unison lines? Let me know what you are looking for.
Unison or whatever sounds nice... :)

Top Bottom