What's new

On the Fence About Spitfire Studio Woodwinds

So many libraries!

I bought Spitfire Studio Woodwinds to supplement Cinewinds Core and Chris Hein Woodwinds Compact. It is a very nice, very flexible combination of tools. I may, at some point, add the big brothers of all three, but I'm in no hurry, and don't feel like I am missing out on anything right now.

As a result of my time with SSW I ended up adding the studio strings and brass (core only) as well.

So far I'm really quite happy.

I can only hope that I eventually outgrow them, since that would indicate that my skills as a composer/arranger/orchestrator/producer are improving - or I'm making so much money producing music that I no longer need to worry about it<G>!

I really like SF Symphonic Woodwinds. They do have the Air Studios sound baked in, although you can alter the ambience with mic mix settings. If you want a drier library that may offer more sonic versatility SF Studio Woodwinds may be worth checking out. For a larger symphonic sound I think SF SWW is great and it gets used here a lot.

I bought Spitfire Studio Woodwinds, Jr. for $150 to sit in my template until CSW comes out. As a dry library, it blends pretty well--with a bit of work. While I read reactions all over the map on this, I am enjoying the library and have no buyer's remorse.

And when CSW finally drops, I expect there will be many articulations and instruments in this library that won't be in CSW.

Do expect a Spitfire Wish List sale in May or June.

Do expect a Spitfire Wish List sale in May or June.
How does the wish list sale work? I've never purchased anything from spitfire so do I need to create an account and add things to my wish list then I'll be offered a discount for each item in the wish list or is it just for specific items?

How does the wish list sale work? I've never purchased anything from spitfire so do I need to create an account and add things to my wish list then I'll be offered a discount for each item in the wish list or is it just for specific items?

These days _ a recently extracted tooth under pillow might be enough …. :unsure:

Safer bet is Account and preferences on Wishlist. In past, SFA has provided advance warning and additional items can be added before WL promo begins.

Exactly. Create an account and add your favorite things to your wishlist. You don't need to buy anything, but the signup means you'll get their emails. When the wish list sale is about to happen, you'll get an email from Spitfire reminding you to get your Wishlist in order. When it starts, you'll get an email with separate codes for all the stuff on your list, and info on how much of a discount you get. The amount of the discount varies. The most I've seen is 40% off, during the Christmas Wish List.

My last, very important (to me) question (before actual purchase):

when it comes to solo instruments, would anyone here recommend Spitfire Studio Woodwinds over the Chris Hein solo woodwinds? Over East West Hollywood Woodwinds?

This thread proves what my friends told me: I can get good answers here. Super grateful.

My last, very important (to me) question (before actual purchase):

when it comes to solo instruments, would anyone here recommend Spitfire Studio Woodwinds over the Chris Hein solo woodwinds? Over East West Hollywood Woodwinds?

This thread proves what my friends told me: I can get good answers here. Super grateful.
East West will be fine in a mix but exposed as solos, nope, not good.

Look at the Berlin woods (the expansions) or Fluffy Audio woods, if you you want very good performance style solo woodwinds.

I can't comment on Chris Hein & SStW too much, as I don't have either. But if SStW is anything like the symphonic series woods, I wouldn't expect too much from it in terms of very exposed solos... it's not really what they're designed for. Spitfire don't really do their orchestral libraries that way.

Just downloaded, and this is an excellent library (core version)! I can't get past the solo instruments, which sound terrific (in a gleaming way). Looking forward to the ensembles as well.

Man these are some mega-helpful posts, I'm really grateful!!!

I can see where I'm probably going to want the Professional right off.
Definitely go with the pro version right away. I bought the regular one and kind of regret it. I usually don't futz around too much with mic placement and since I'm used to using VSL for my winds, I was ok with them being tree mics. Or so I thought. I realize now that if they were only going to give one mic option, I wish it had been the close mics, as most piano libraries do on their "lite" versions. The tree mic given is hard to place in a mix I find. A least my mixes.
Sound wise I like everything but the longs. The long are so robotic that I have to use them extremely sparingly or buried in the mix. I use the Hollows more if I need to.

Last edited:
Really cool (not sure it's) news! Today Luke from SA told me there would definitely be a Wish List sale this May, and when I asked him if my upgrade could get knocked down during the sale he said yes!

That means I'll only pay $120 in May for the upgrade ooOOO yeah!

Yeah, I've been waiting for the inevitable Wishlist sale to upgrade my whole package to Pro. Hopefully I'll have the funds together by May.

Top Bottom