On the Fence About Spitfire Studio Woodwinds

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Apostate, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    On black Friday 2017 I believe Christian mention that AIR had been booked to record more samples for a (free, I think) update to SSW. So still hoping to hear more about that.

2. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I have Fluffy Audio Flute and Embertone Clarinet and think they are quite fine. They can deliver pretty vivid phrases.

Wally Garten and Parsifal666 like this.
  3. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    My speculation is that when all the older Sf librairies (SSW & others) come out on their new player, that will happen with some new content. Unfortunately for me, SSW & SSB are just too ambient for the orchestral sound I like.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  4. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I would like to have heard the Studio series done at British Grove. The sound of Orchestral Swarm makes me think I would have preferred that to Air 1.

Go To 11 and jamwerks like this.
  5. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Fluffy Audio Solo Woodwinds Bundle is not a full Woodwind library, it's just solo Flute, Clarinet, Oboe and Bassoon. They are all named for the players who were sampled, so they each have real personality.

The John Diamenti Fox Clarinet has been justly praised as one of the best clarinet VIs out there.
    The flute is almost as good IMHO. The oboe and the bassoon have lovely tone and are just as playable, but have limited articulations, compared to the other two.

Something to consider.

If you buy just one to try them out, they offer a great deal on the rest. You just pay the difference.

6. OP
    OP
    Apostate

Apostate Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Then you might want to grab the Hein. Whenever you have the mind. Imo it's really excellent, you just need to have a decent reverb to go with it.

As for me, as I mentioned I wanted to grab the Pro upgrade this Monday but after writing a bunch with Core (and listening to Re-peat and the walkthroughs) I'm wondering if the extra mics really are worth it.

I mean, I've had the Hein for awhile now and have done just fine with the one...I should also mention that I've put the Studio Woodwinds core through some serious paces and am at this point just not entirely sure I need the extras.

I know, I know, some supposedly hotshot dude here with 3,000 likes says I get more "dimensions"...meh. I'm doing really well with just the tree.

Maybe I'll just stick to Core and make up for the rest with the Hein. I substitute the SStW oboe and bassoon with the Hein...it's barely a problem at all.

jamwerks likes this.
  7. Banquet

Banquet Member

Apr 4, 2019
    Norfolk, England
    Are you pretty happy with the Core libraries?

8. OP
    OP
    Apostate

Apostate Member

Feb 7, 2018
    That's pretty much what I wrote :)

dzilizzi, jbuhler and Banquet like this.
  9. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    It's a tough call, but you know what your music needs. Tree 1 just has too much room in it for me, but the main appeal of the Pro versions are the additional instruments. Divisi strings, solo trombones, etc. I need those more than additional mic positions.

That said, I don't think I'll be doing the Pro upgrade during this Wish List after all. I have to sort out my actual intentions and needs before spending money....

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. jorjazz

jorjazz New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Hi everyone. Can someone confirm or deny if there is an actual double tongue in sstb and Sstw? In Paul’s vids he says double, triple, quadruple, but my ears hear triple,quad, and quintuplets. So very surprised I haven’t seen a mention of this anywhere, Thanks in advance, as I gear up for Monday’s sale.

11. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello! The manuals say they contain double, but even if not, you can use time machine patches to tweak the shorts to make doubles no problem, IMO.

I really miss time machine patches in other libraries, I'd love to have them in CineBrass for example.

Interesting that their chamber strings legato sounds so good.

jorjazz likes this.
  12. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Uhhh, somehow I get the sinking feeling he (or she) might mean me. Except, I'm not even supposedly hotshot...more like shot dead lol!

I would really be grateful to anyone whom owns the Professional to tell me how much the mics help with things. I know there are extra, necessary instruments in the Pro vs. Core, but I'm wondering how much of an advantage the extra mics allow in this library, please.

I've been experimenting with this library at a friend's house and really like it (the tree mic sounds quite good imo), however he only has Core so I'm extra curious before slapping zee moolah down on Pro this Monday.

Meetyhtan likes this.
  13. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I'll make you an example moving from one mic to the next, Pars. Any particular instrument you like to hear this with?

_

reimerpdx, Parsifal666 and Consona like this.
  14. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I'd love to here what you posted above with the Tree 2 mic, treated with your favorite reverb for an orchestral setting, so a bigger room sound than it was recorded in...

15. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I'd appreciate the alto flute close and outriggers (both solo'd and alone). I'm extremely grateful for this, re-peat.

16. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Pars,

Coming up.

- - -

Jam,

I’ll have to make a new example using a different mic, because, to my ears, the Tree mics generate spatial information that goes completely AGAINST anything that needs to fit a more spacious, orchestral setting.
    These Tree mics contain an unignorable suggestion of confinement, and confinement is the very thing we do NOT want when going orchestral. (That’s also the very reason why I will *always* reduce ER’s in a reverb that needs to suggest big spaces.)

I’ll check if one of the other mic’s is better suited to become part of a more spacious illusion that would match with an orchestra. There’s bound to be one that’ll work.

Something else though: my tool of choice for doing this type of stuff (transporting sounds into an orchestral space) would be Ircam SPAT, so I’m not sure if my excercise will be all that helpful since very few people have SPAT … But I’ll give it go anyway.

_

N.Caffrey, miket, dzilizzi and 4 others like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Apostate

Apostate Member

Feb 7, 2018
    This really helps me, thanks so much.

18. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    To my ears the Tree 2 has that stage sound. In the production picture you can see that the players are lined-up against the back wall, which is kind-of too bad imo, but I hear very little left-right confinement (something I hear way too much of in the other mics). If I buy the Pro version, it will be to use that mic and try to fit it into a larger room…

Peat, could you send me your mp3 from above, and I'll try that here on my own?

Parsifal666 likes this.
  19. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
  20. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    This is enormously helpful, thanks!

Really liking the gritty detail of the close mics. You took care to showcase the releases , thanks so much for the attention to detail.

At this point I'm really liking it. I didn't ask for oboe and bassoon samples, because from what I've heard both on and offline those are the most glaring weaknesses in that library.